Reynolds: "I would assume that I'll probably be gone"

ChaosLex

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Dan is brutal with they way he looks at the numbers. I wonder what our analytics girl thinks of this?
Ike Davis had a .333 wOBA and a -1.8 UZR for a 1.6 WAR last year. Reynolds had a -3.2 UZR at 1B last year. If he could step it up to about league average UZR, even with the 335 wOBA he had last year he would be close to 2 war. If he returns to his career average offense .350 wOBA, he should be worth between 2.5-3 WAR for BOS or TB.

Ike Davis had a .333 wOBA and a -1.8 UZR for a 1.6 WAR last year. Reynolds had a -3.2 UZR at 1B last year. If he could step it up to about league average UZR, even with the 335 wOBA he had last year he would be close to 2 war. If he returns to his career average offense .350 wOBA, he should be worth between 2.5-3 WAR for BOS or TB.

Probably true. Like I said. I'd keep the Sheriff.

The only real drama today seems to be whether Reynolds is traded.

Spoiler alert: Steve Pearce, Omar Quintanilla and Taylor Teagarden also figure to be non-tendered.

Teagarden's name surprises me. He only made $489,500 last season. There is no reason to expect him to get a large award in arbitration.

I would rather have continuity then have to go scrap diving for a backup catcher.

Reynolds bat wouldn't have carried him last year as a first baseman, regardless of his improved glove work.

Unless he was rated a spectacular defensive first baseman (remember the metrics all have him as so-so, at best) he couldn't be better than a 1.5-2 win player with a OPS+ around 107. In 2010 Adam LaRoche and Derrek Lee both had almost the same park-adjusted hitting performances as Reynolds did in '12, they were both full time regulars, and they were worth 0.9 and 1.4 wins, respectively.

I would rather have continuity then have to go scrap diving for a backup catcher.

Why? It doesn't make sense to pay more than the minimum for a backup catcher when your starting catcher starts 130 games. Teagarden made more money per plate appearance last season than Wieters will make next year, does it make sense to pay him more?

Why? It doesn't make sense to pay more than the minimum for a backup catcher when your starting catcher starts 130 games. Teagarden made more money per plate appearance last season than Wieters will make next year, does it make sense to pay him more?

For the sake of maybe 200K yes I think it is worth it to have continuity at the backup Catcher position. Most backup Catchers are horrific offensively, defensively or both.

I don't see the relevance between what Wieters and the backup catcher makes.

Especially when you're talking about a guy who has 28 hits the last three years combined.

Me thinks this smells highly of our old nemesis cheap skate owner Angelos and DD's decision is following suit. If Reynold's hears nothing from the Orioles by 12am - 'not a thanks but no thanks' or even 'go to Hades', (what have you) - it's just NOT a good way to conduct good business relations- period!! It sends way bad vibes to players and fans alike. I honestly think and agree wholeheartedly that if we need to get a different 1st baseman then it must be someone of Reynolds' caliber or better - if not, stick with Reynolds. More and more, I honestly am starting to feel the penny-pinching in our selection of players for the future.... and whether or not 2012 was not just a wonderful fluke of good fortune due to the meshing and comradery of our players who brought the O's a memorably successful year.

Me thinks this smells highly of our old nemesis cheap skate owner Angelos and DD's decision is following suit. If Reynold's hears nothing from the Orioles by 12am - 'not a thanks but no thanks' or even 'go to Hades', (what have you) - it's just NOT a good way to conduct good business relations- period!! It sends way bad vibes to players and fans alike. I honestly think and agree wholeheartedly that if we need to get a different 1st baseman then it must be someone of Reynolds' caliber or better - if not, stick with Reynolds. More and more, I honestly am starting to feel the penny-pinching in our selection of players for the future.... and whether or not 2012 was not just a wonderful fluke of good fortune due to the meshing and comradery of our players who brought the O's a memorably successful year.

Ah. Yes. I was going to save this but. You know how Dan Duquette is EVP, Baseball Operations? Andy MacPhail is still PRESIDENT!

Archived