Orioles are one of the teams that the Twins have contacted in regards to Justin Morneau

FlipCup

Well what are you bringing to this thread exactly, other than a criminal misuse of apostrophes?

This discussion doesn't really seem to be going anywhere as far as I can tell, neither side is going to convince the other. If you don't like WAR, don't pay attention to it I guess, the rest of the board has good reason to believe it and use it in discussion.

I will make a thread in the Hangout Club called "Why I don't like WAR." I think it would be a great place to continue these discussions.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But we have a playoff appearance in the last quarter-century.

Once in 15 yrs mixed in with some of the worst teams ever fielded over the last 2 decades does not equal a dynasty or the right to point fingers at another organizations downfalls. Just my 2 cents.

Once in 15 yrs mixed in with some of the worst teams ever fielded over the last 2 decades does not equal a dynasty or the right to point fingers at another organizations downfalls. Just my 2 cents.

Yes, but neither organization should be held up as an example of why their philosophy is so excellent. :P

ehhhh, even before this last year the Royals were fair game for mockery by Orioles fans. I mean, the Orioles were fair game for mockery by Orioles fans.

yeah, sure, I'd love to have Moustakas and Myers and quite a few other guys as well, but that doesn't mean I can't laugh at the Royals for continuing to sign the Jeff Francouers and Yuniesky Betancourts and Chris Getzes and Gil Meches of the world. I'll stop when they develop a consistent track record of those guys working out. the Royals are bizarre because they've got some of the best amateur scouting and minor league development in the game but they haven't been able to translate any of it to the major league level, not even the scouting. It's weird and because I can't explain it I'm going to keep making jokes at their expense.

Duquette got some freaky wizard magic going on in 2012 and that was why signings like Nate McLouth and Miguel Gonzalez and like a million other guys. People joked about it last offseason, remember? The whole "start printing the playoff tickets!" gag? We've all stopped now, because it's worked out so many times that hey, maybe they know something we don't. The Royals don't appear to know anything we don't (I'm sure they do, it just has never seemed to work out that way). And we're fans, and they're getting paid thousands of dollars to run a baseball team. Which is a position I would give almost any non-vital body part below the neck to have, of course.

A save is equal to a CG SO.

I'd imagine it stacks, so a CG SO would be 18 whereas a save would be 6.

It's a rudimentary system of linear weights along the lines of Bill James' Game Score with added room for subjectivity. It's not horrific. It's pretty simplistic, but it's got a couple interesting things you can't really get anywhere else.

• 2 months later...

Archived