Buck called Davis 3 weeks ago and informed he would be the 2013 1st baseman.

O's are Legends

Is Reynolds D at first overrated by many because he was so god awful at 3rd? Davis didn't light the world on fire over there either. But I suspect he'll be adequate to above average. He's a heck of an athlete. C'mon pitchers n catchers!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bottom line is if Davis was better than Mark, than Mark would have been the DH last year not Chris. I know Chris had a decent reputation but he really struggled at first. If he can be average I would be pleased.

If I was 26 years old and in his shoes I wouldn't want to be labeled as a DH either. It hurts his value going foward. I guess I will see what happens between now and Opening Day. The question is can the DH spot if Davis plays 1B make up for the difference in defense at 1B.

Bobby Dickerson is a wonderful infield instructor. I have spent hours watching him run drills. The infield will be prepared.

I am not a firm believer that any infield instructor or any instructor at the ML level can have a huge impact on improving skills. These players have had over a decade of instructions, thousands of balls hit to them....another thousand in ST isn't going to do a thing. Good defense is reactionary, quick steps and reads. Unteachable in my opinion. A good first basemen must save errors from other players. We'll all hear how hard he's worked and the usual ST BS from coaches, the press etc. It won't make any difference. You can't teach speed and you can't teach defense. It may not show up on the score sheet, but it will show up in the score of the game. Extra outs for the opposition is a killer.

You can't teach speed and you can't teach defense. It may not show up on the score sheet, but it will show up in the score of the game. Extra outs for the opposition is a killer.

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with the "you can't teach D" part. There is so much to be learned just by watching game film, about where you are positioned, and how you react to the ball off the bat. I agree for the most part that you can't teach reactions (though they can certainly be fine tuned) but reactions in baseball are really only important at catcher and 3b. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Cal get his solid defensive reputation from his positioning skills? That is something that can most definitely be taught.

Edit: I should add that reactions are pretty important scooping balls out of the dirt at first, but a lot of that is anticipation and more and more practice, firmly learning how the ball bounces on most occasions etc.

I am ok with giving Davis a shot at 1B. Given the option that are now available, it would seem that Chris Davis is the best fit. That said I am not really happy with letting Reynolds walk over 5 million dollars and rolling into the season with names like Nolan Reimold, Valencia and Betemit to fill the DH role and a fuzzy backup situation at 1B also if Davis struggles defensively or gets hurt.

Call me crazy but looking at this club going into the offseason I really thought they were a decent bat and starter away from being legit contenders. I am not a Keith Law fan in the least but there is some merit to the idea that it is unlikely the O's have the same degree of success in one run and xtra inning games. They were historically good last year in those spots, I expect they will be good again but not that good. It is also unlikely that Blue Jays have as many injuries as they did last year and frankly if you think that adding who they did t their roster will not improve them....your wrong. It may not make them a contender but it will at the very least make them a tougher win IMO and many others. The Red Sox look to be improved, it would be hard not to be. Despite moving Shields, the Rays have more than enough pitching to be contenders. The O's did not get in by that wide a margin. Improvement was absolutely necessary IMO to expect a repeat of last year or better. Banking on it coming from the players already on the roster is a bit of a crap shoot at best.

The thing that frustrates me is how some on here want to act as if Valencia/Reimold/Betemit is a better idea than Reynolds and say two of those three guys. There is a reason Boston who sucked horribly let Valencia walk....he's not that good. Reimold has not shown he can be productive on a consistent basis. Betemit can contribute but is certainly not an every day DH. In my mind getting a guy who can put up a decent OBP and hit you 20 hr would be absolutely huge. It gives you more options if one or more of that group of guys who have spotty histories (Valencia, McLouth, Reimold, even Betemit) falters or succumbs to injuries etc.... If the O's can bring in a guy with a history of PROVEN PRODUCTION (good OBP and 20-25 HR) then I will be happy with the rest of the squad as constructed.

I kind of think its ridiculous to add Casilla, add Valencia and lose Reynolds and then somehow try to rationalize that the team is better. One of the stated goals was to add a MOO and improve OBP. In my view losing Reynolds who despite his high strikeout totals had a high OBP is kinda counter productive to the goal of increasing team OBP.

Not trying to be a whiner.......not expecting to sign Josh Hamilton. I just think it would not have been to much for old Pete McScrooge to dig deep and come up with the money to keep Reynolds if they were not able to swing a trade or obtain a better player via FA. FIVE MILLION........ chump change to a guy and organization like the O's...how much did we waste on guys like Atkins, Vlad, Eveland, blah blah blah

Why is it so hard to imagine the O's being better with Reynolds not on the team? Reynolds is no cinch to put up a .800 OPS or better. If Davis hits 'ike he did last year and fields an average 1B (almost everyone pegged him as a good 1B before last season) and Betemit/Reimold produce .800+ OPS it's pretty much a wash if not downright improvement. With Reynolds on the team, Betemit and Reimold see virtually no time at all because Davis would have been pushed to DH. It's a calculated move but the reasoning makes perfect sense.

Cause we are talking about Nolan Reimold...the guy that everyone loves yet never seems to be on the field and Wilson Betemit who is a serviceable role player IMO. This team needs guys who can get on base and let the one guy outside of Markakis who knows how to do that walk. Yea he strikes out, yea he is hot and cold but at least he makes it to the field to play on a consistent basis. Even in a down year he put up better numbers than any full season of Reimolds....oh thats right he NEVER played a full season at 29. That's troublesome IMO.

I get that some people on here are in love with Reimold but the guy has proven NOTHING. Well check that, he has proven time after time that when he is depended on he is not able to deliver CONSISTENTLY over the course of a season. Injuries, personal issues...blah blah blah blah. He is 29 not 24 or 25 and cant stay on the field long enough to unseat the great Felix Pie....yet for a team that wants to compete for the playoffs thats what people think is a good idea for a DH?

I have no problem with Reimold having a role on this team next year. Platoon in LF, some DH, if he can learn maybe even play some 1B. Till he proves otherwise though, he cannot be counted on as more than that. If he delivers more that's a bonus. Far as Betemit he is effective in limited duty. Valencia could not even stick with a horrible Red Sox team and now he is part of the DH argument?

I guess what I am saying is that if you say Reimold/Valencia/Betemit are your DH bats, what your really saying is that Reimold is your DH. Betemit and Valencia are guys you trot out to give other guys a blow IMO. Role players. Reimold for the reasons I stated above is not the guy you want to pin any expectation to. That's a pretty risky approach for a team wanting to get to the playoffs again.

Ultimately I think its a moot point. I still believe DD will bring in a bat and at the end of the day Reimold with be a LF platoon player, fill in DH etc.... if he proves he can stay healthy and productive, then we can talk about expanding his role in 2014

Why is it so hard to imagine the O's being better with Reynolds not on the team? Reynolds is no cinch to put up a .800 OPS or better. If Davis hits 'ike he did last year and fields an average 1B (almost everyone pegged him as a good 1B before last season) and Betemit/Reimold produce .800+ OPS it's pretty much a wash if not downright improvement. With Reynolds on the team, Betemit and Reimold see virtually no time at all because Davis would have been pushed to DH. It's a calculated move but the reasoning makes perfect sense.

I hate to admit it because I love Mark's personality on the team. But viewing it objectively, as DD is certainly doing... I'm glad he's gone. I've been thinking of a stat, don't know the name. The diff between BA and OBP. iso something... Reynolds had that in spades. But if he isn't also hitting 35 bombs the OBP isn't enough. We're not paying him to be the guy driven home.

I think ChrisD's ... D .. will be adequate at least. He surprised me playing RF this year. He's very athletic but it's more. He has the instincts no matter where on the field he is. He'll be fine at first. And his bat will definitely play! His OPS will be higher than Reynolds' this year. ;)

I guess what I am saying is that if you say Reimold/Valencia/Betemit are your DH bats, what your really saying is that Reimold is your DH. Betemit and Valencia are guys you trot out to give other guys a blow IMO. Role players. Reimold for the reasons I stated above is not the guy you want to pin any expectation to. That's a pretty risky approach for a team wanting to get to the playoffs again.

If only this board had signatures.

Betemit's OPS since 2010 vs RHPs: .865

Valencia's OPS since 2010 vs LHPs: .831

Really the key to this move is Betemit. He saw something like 28 PA last year at DH, his promary position. He should see 450 +PA vs RHSP. That a huge upgrade given his career OPS, OBP vs RHSP. One of Reimold/Velncia/Pearce etc. should be able to provide decent numbers for the other 250 or so PA.

If only this board had signatures.

Betemit's OPS since 2010 vs RHPs: .865

Valencia's OPS since 2010 vs LHPs: .831

Well that OPS was .576 last year. He was essentially given up on by 2 organizations.

LMAO...I cant believe that I am even having to argue that having Danny Valencia/Wilson Betemit as your DH tandem is ridiculous if you want to be seriously considered a contender for a World Series title. After going to the playoffs last year the goal should be to get back and perhaps go further. Nothing screams contender like Betemit/Valencia at DH.

Not expecting Hamilton but we should expect a little better than Valencia/Betemit if we are serious about winning. There are far better players out there who do not cost 25 million a year. Its the friggin DH spot. Anyone can play it. Its not like a specific role such as 3B. I do believe however DD will bring in a better alternative still. :)

Really the key to this move is Betemit. He saw something like 28 PA last year at DH, his promary position. He should see 450 +PA vs RHSP. That a huge upgrade given his career OPS, OBP vs RHSP. One of Reimold/Velncia/Pearce etc. should be able to provide decent numbers for the other 250 or so PA.

If he stays healthy that sounds great. If he does not then we have issues IMO. I would rather get a guy like Morse and use Betemit off the bench. Dump Pearce or Valencia IMO.

At the end of the day if they can pull it off I would feel more comfortable with Betemit/Morse/Reimold and one of Pearce or Valencia than the options without that guy like Morse. I think that approach CYA better in case of injuries etc...

Well that OPS was .576 last year. He was essentially given up on by 2 organizations.

LMAO...I cant believe that I am even having to argue that having Danny Valencia/Wilson Betemit as your DH tandem is ridiculous if you want to be seriously considered a contender for a World Series title. After going to the playoffs last year the goal should be to get back and perhaps go further. Nothing screams contender like Betemit/Valencia at DH.

Not expecting Hamilton but we should expect a little better than Valencia/Betemit if we are serious about winning. There are far better players out there who do not cost 25 million a year. Its the friggin DH spot. Anyone can play it. Its not like a specific role such as 3B. I do believe however DD will bring in a better alternative still. :)

In a small sample size, the statistically improbable is possible. Let go of your preconceived notions of what a DH should look like. We have a guy who is excellent vs RHPs and a few guys who are less proven, but I feel are more than capable vs LHPs. Statistically it makes sense. Maybe it doesn't look cool, like Billy Butler does, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

The league-wide OPS for a DH last year was .758. .762 among playoff teams. We can far exceed that with this combo.

Preach it brother!

EDIT: Market inefficiency. Moneydanball.

Shut down the thread.

Archived