Buck called Davis 3 weeks ago and informed he would be the 2013 1st baseman.

O's are Legends

I can't believe people are shocked about this. The writing was on the wall for this immediately after the season was over. Buck said something to the effect that Davis can be a darn good defensive first baseman when asked about Davis' good play in RF. It was clear that Buck thinks he can play a good first base. But hey, what does Buck know about it?

Buck also saw fit to bring in his buddy Mark Connor, who proceeded to have disastrous results with the young pitchers and then more or less quit. If they feel Davis can be an adequate defensive first baseman with an offseason and spring training to work at it, and that's their reason for not getting someone else, I can live with it. But, lets not go completely overboard with the notion that Buck knows all.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Awesome just sign a Eddie Murray level bat and a Jim Palmer arm and we are good to go.

Different time, different team. Not to mention the fact that comparing Betemit and Valencia to Roenicke and Lowenstein is kinda disingenuous. Both those guys were better players. Its comparing apples to oranges IMO. Nice try though

You stated that it couldn't possibly work if we want to contend. The stats and history say otherwise. If Valencia can't cut it, it will be Pearce. Based on their career numbers against lefties, it's not hard to imagine one of them finding enough success to make for an effective platoon partner for Betemit.

I can't believe people are shocked about this. The writing was on the wall for this immediately after the season was over. Buck said something to the effect that Davis can be a darn good defensive first baseman when asked about Davis' good play in RF. It was clear that Buck thinks he can play a good first base. But hey, what does Buck know about it?

1) If buck thought CD was equal or better than MR he would have had the position last year.

2) He stated in the past that MR was going to be fine at 3rd.

3) BS is not going to say he doesn't believe CD can do the job there. It's coaching 100...whether it's little league, parenting, or coaching.

Listen to what the coaches say about pitchers in ST..it's all positive, it's part of their job when working with players with huge egos.

I am not a Davis hater. I hope he does great. I am just not overly optimistic.

So guess this is for real, after our first playoff season in 15 years, our only move is to re-sign Nate McClouth for 2 million?

Guess the front office forgot how horrible our offense was for stretches last season.

I didn't realize the offseason was over. It's pretty clear Duquette would like to add a bat.

Buck also saw fit to bring in his buddy Mark Connor, who proceeded to have disastrous results with the young pitchers and then more or less quit. If they feel Davis can be an adequate defensive first baseman with an offseason and spring training to work at it, and that's their reason for not getting someone else, I can live with it. But, lets not go completely overboard with the notion that Buck knows all.

Buck is not perfect, but he knows a lot more about baseball than anyone on this board. He deservedly gets a lot of deference in his judgments.

But not when he bats JJ Hardy no. 2 all season.

This article makes it pretty clear why Buck believes Chris Davis can be a good 1st baseman. I'd say its pretty convincing.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-chris-davis-1216-20121215,0,6967445.story

What else is Buck going to say. He may have no choice but to play Davis there. Saying he can't handle it or he was below average last season when he played there wouldn't be productive if he has his hand forced. Buck watched the game just like we did and watched innings extended and runs scored that shouldnt have by the fact the he didnt field throws from the infielders. Behind closed doors he should and probably is saying he needs a better option.

Davis has played in 261 MLB games at 1st and committed 10 errors. This projects to 6 errors over 162 games, which is less than Fielder, Hosmer, Moss, Pena and Pujols made last year. I didn't take the time to look up how many games the aforementioned 1st baseman played but Davis most likely would fare a little better in the comparison if you projected the others over 162 games as well. Putouts project close to Fielder, who led the league and assists look like they are in the top middle of the pack somewhere. Of course Davis' numbers are based on a 162 game projection. So, maybe Davis could be better at 1st base than we think? He made 4 errors last year, maybe it was just a small sample size and if he played the position all year he would have improved.

Archived