Duquette, "Our best players are going to come up through the farm system."

andrewrickli

In a recent, and by recent, I mean 30 minutes ago, Kevin Cowherd at the Baltimore Sun, wrote a nice piece on the Orioles decision to "stand pat" this offseason.

In which EVP Dan Duquette said that he understands the argument, and understand where fans are coming from.

"I understand that argument," Duquette said when I reached him Wednesday. "But I'll tell you right now, our best players are going to come up through the farm system."
"The core of our ballclub, which is improved more than any other big league team, is returning," he said. " [Matt] Wieters, [J.J.] Hardy and [Adam] Jones won Gold Gloves. After we brought up [Manny] Machado and McLouth, only one team won more ballgames than the Orioles the rest of the way."

Read it here

-Ice

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Internal development should be at least 75% of the path to improvement for any team not in the very upper echelon of revenue. But if our best players are going to come from our system, where are they? Bundy and Gausman are top prospects, Schoop has a solid chance to be good, and everyone else has big question marks. We are very thin in the 4-10 or 4-20 range.

Good thing we have a great farm syst... oh wait.

Now they're supposedly going after Mike Morse [...] But ? stop me if you've heard this before ? the asking price for Morse is said to be too high [...] But sometimes you have to give up value to get value [...] I'll respectfully disagree with Duquette. If the Orioles stand pat, they're only fooling themselves. And they're not giving themselves the best chance to go to the playoffs again. What are the odds of this team going 29-9 in one-run games as it did last season? Or winning 16-extra-inning games in a row again? Or having the bullpen have a season for the ages again? That's why it's time for the Duke to make a few moves. Way past time, if you ask me.

:agree:

Translation-We aren't going to spend money.

Sadly, same story, different year.

I would hope that 2013 yields excellent results, but they've got to stop with this small market mentality for the long term. Clearly, DD knows we expected a lot more movement this off season.

Makes me wonder if PA held him back or if DD made a deliberate choice to not spend on FAs?

MSK

That will work for 2013. WTH do they do after that?

They seriously need to get to work if they want to make that dream a reality.

Honestly, if Bundy and Gausman turn into the #1 and #2 that they think they will turn into, they don't need a whole lot more to go right other than the rest of their guys just progressing at a reasonable pace. The core of this team, other than Hardy, is still either young or just reaching its prime. Yes, the farm is pretty barren beside the top 3, but there are a lot of young guys already up, improving, and contributing.

Honestly, if Bundy and Gausman turn into the #1 and #2 that they think they will turn into, they don't need a whole lot more to go right other than the rest of their guys just progressing at a reasonable pace. The core of this team, other than Hardy, is still either young or just reaching its prime. Yes, the farm is pretty barren beside the top 3, but there are a lot of young guys already up, improving, and contributing.

They are also getting expensive in a hurry.

They are also getting expensive in a hurry.

This is a very strong point. One of the issues with this plan right now is even if Bundy and Gausman turn into 1A and 1B studs and are among the best 1-2's in baseball, the chances of that happening for either or both immediately is slim. Injuries, lack of progression, or hell simple mental fatigue could make the timeline for each several years away from helping this group to that level. Plus, of course, one or both could not reach said potential, not my opinion but of course a possibility.

The organization is not just relying on these two pitchers, Machado for one is a young low-cost pillar, as is Tillman, but realistically, additional fire power, especially a big bat would be a huge benefit to the current group before their costs begin to escalate further.

That will work for 2013. WTH do they do after that?

They seriously need to get to work if they want to make that dream a reality.

Yeah, that's going to be a serious problem. Maybe he looks to trade the JJ's, to bridge the gap from Bundy, Gausman, Schoop to EdRod, Delmonico etc.

Archived