So how about Brian Roberts today?

markakis8

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, you're officially on their haters list now!

I have been for a while now.

I am a douchy, pessimistic bully that lives in my mother's basement and has an inflated sense of self worth due to my post count. (and that is just since the offseason started)

At least no one complains about the music I post.

I have been for a while now.

I am a douchy, pessimistic bully that lives in my mother's basement and has an inflated sense of self worth due to my post count. (and that is just since the offseason started)

At least no one complains about the music I post.

I've never had the nerve to tell you I hate your music. ;)

Now you can put me on a haters list.

I've never had the nerve to tell you I hate your music. ;)

Now you can put me on a haters list.

Honestly, you have one of the most eclectic tastes in music I've come around. If it weren't for your selection I would feel neglected.

Now if we could just get our minds right on Roberts. :scratchchinhmm:

Roberts may be a guy who benefits from catching a ball in rhythm as he comes across the bag because he can use momentum to make up for lack of arm strength. It appeared to me that he was at the bag and used a play that basically takes your body toward RF, pushing off of 2B as he throws. I was always prepared for a play like what happened the other day. Then again, my arm was better than his.

We may be placing a little too much emphasis on one throw in ST. I'm more concerned with his range up the middle and to his left. As someone else said, positioning can mitigate his range or lack thereof. I don't buy all this talk about his arm being terrible. It isn't great by any stretch, but the hyperbole is flying around quite a bit in this thread.

Wouldn't he lose momentum going away from first base though? I don't see Roberts arm strength as "terrible" either. I think it's below average for a second baseman. Since he's fundamentally sound (I don't think anybody will argue with that), it's probably not that big of a deal. It does seem that the team has gotten smarter with positioning, so that's a factor that could mitigate some potential range issues. Despite some of the rhetoric, I'm not sure that most people are that far apart on this.

Honestly, you have one of the most eclectic tastes in music I've come around. If it weren't for your selection I would feel neglected.

Now if we could just get our minds right on Roberts. :scratchchinhmm:

Old friend of mine used to say that I would walk into the music store (back when there was such a thing) and ask the cashier what didn't sell. Then I would buy it.

And yes I know that eclectic doesn't mean "good". ;)

Old friend of mine used to say that I would walk into the music store (back when there was such a thing) and ask the cashier what didn't sell. Then I would buy it.

And yes I know that eclectic doesn't mean "good". ;)

Hmm, I need to rethink when people have used that term regarding me. I meant it in only a complimentary fashion, but I'm sure you knew that.

It appeared to me that he was at the bag and used a play that basically takes your body toward RF, pushing off of 2B as he throws.
Wouldn't he lose momentum going away from first base though?.

Yes, which is why I said it probably wouldn't be his first preference for his arm strength. Although, the play we're talking about is basically a slight step back to avoid the runner when awaiting the throw as opposed to being in the baseline and jumping over the runner after releasing the throw. In any case it shouldn't affect the throw of a capable ML infielder especially if he chooses to make that play. Even more reason I think he rushed it or didn't handle it well out of his glove. Transition from glove to throwing motion can often be the cause for not completing the DP.

Yes, which is why I said it probably wouldn't be his first preference for his arm strength. Although, the play we're talking about is basically a slight step back to avoid the runner when awaiting the throw as opposed to being in the baseline and jumping over the runner after releasing the throw. In any case it shouldn't affect the throw of a capable ML infielder especially if he chooses to make that play. Even more reason I think he rushed it or didn't handle it well out of his glove. Transition from glove to throwing motion can often be the cause for not completing the DP.

I gotcha. Thanks. Anyways I just looked Darwin Barney's DP rate and it's below average, so what the heck does he know.

MLBN had Darwin Barney on a few weeks ago. His strategy was to proceed to second base as fast as possible and be in a set position to get the throw from the infielder. Not always practical, I know.

Darwin also does not appear tentative with a runner approaching. Probably has not had his arm ripped off and his head handed to him. Give him time ;). I think Roberts can play a passable second base if he can once again be an offensive minded second baseman. Clubhouse Confidential just did a show on how defense no longer matters because the game has "evolved" into a game of three true outcomes. Pitching and Hitting. Fielding has been devalued. Or so they say. Mark Reynolds and Adam Dunn were shown as poster children. As were Kimbrel and Chapman.

Darwin also does not appear tentative with a runner approaching. Probably has not had his arm ripped off and his head handed to him. Give him time ;). I think Roberts can play a passable second base if he can once again be an offensive minded second baseman. Clubhouse confidential just did a show on how defense no longer matters because the game has "evolved" into a game of three true outcomes. Pitching and Hitting. Fielding has been devalued. Or so they say. Mark Reynolds and Adam Dunn were shown as poster children. As were Kimbrel and Chapman.

Well, Ok, but wouldn't pitching and hitting be a function of defense? Are they saying just get more strikeouts with power arms?

Well, Ok, but wouldn't pitching and hitting be a function of defense? Are they saying just get more strikeouts with power arms?

They had one of the BP guys on and said that Strikeouts are "Good" outs for batters. At least they are not double plays. And they allow for more walks which are really good. And then you can swing real hard and cause more damage when you do connect. With less balls put in play, (except HRs) the defense and pitching to contact become less relevant. It surprised me because WAR seems so dependent on defense and positional scarcity.

In a condensed version, strike everyone out and swing really hard. That is how to win at today's baseball. Oh, and taking strike three is ok, because it might be ball 4 and walks are real valuable.

Oh boy, the old eye argument. Sure your not Oldfan? If Roberts had a terrible arm he would have a poor DP %, In fact he has a well above average DP %. If it's strong enough to complete a high % of DP, it's certainly strong enough to make the other more routine plays at 2B. He does not have a SS arm but that doesn't mean it's terrible. Brooks had below average arm strength for a 3B and that didn't seem to hurt the team when he played.

I know that's not true. Do you have proof of it, or did Ray Charles tell it to you?

Archived