Orioles Top 15 Prospects from Scout.com

orioole28

an interesting article in Scout.com asking Deric McKamey from Baseball HQ about our prospects. Very positive on all 15. Very interesting is that he has Arrieta, Hernandez, and Patton as possible #3 starters. Hmmm. . . .Here's Baseball HQ Top 15

BALTIMORE ORIOLES TOP 15 PROSPECTS

1. Matt Wieters ©

2. Bill Rowell (3B)

3. Radhames Liz (RHP)

4. Troy Patton (LHP)

5. Nolan Reimold (OF)

6. Jake Arrieta (RHP)

7. Garrett Olson (LHP)

8. Chorye Spoone (RHP)

9. Brandon Erbe (RHP)

10. James Hoey (RHP)

11. Pedro Beato (RHP)

12. Brandon Snyder ©

13. David Hernandez (RHP)

14. Mike Costanzo (3B)

15. Bob McCrory (RHP)

You might need to be a suscriber.

http://orioles.scout.com/2/714975.html

Edit: Correction this is BaseballHQ Top 15

an interesting article in Scout.com asking Deric McKamey from Baseball HQ about our prospects. Very positive on all 15. Very interesting is that he has Arrieta, Hernandez, and Patton as possible #3 starters. Hmmm. . . .Here's Scout.com Top 15

1. Matt Wieters ©

2. Bill Rowell (3B)

3. Radhames Liz (RHP)

4. Troy Patton (LHP)

5. Nolan Reimold (OF)

6. Jake Arrieta (RHP)

7. Garrett Olson (LHP)

8. Chorye Spoone (RHP)

9. Brandon Erbe (RHP)

10. James Hoey (RHP)

11. Pedro Beato (RHP)

12. Brandon Snyder ©

14. Mike Costanzo (3B)

15. Bob McCrory (RHP)

I'm surprised nobody has responded to this.

A couple of thoughts.

- Good to see Patton so high

- Surprised that Arrieta is higher than some of the pitchers below him, but that's not necessarily a bad thing

- Very surprised Spoone is not higher on the list

Comments from Roch on general rankings

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/roch/blog/2007/12/orioles_prospects.html

From Roch:

Personally, I’d move up Chorye Spoone from the 10th spot, certainly ahead of Brandon Erbe, who took a step back this year but still has a ton of potential. He’s just young. Spoone has a lot of people talking about him in the organization. The Orioles won’t rush him – one example is how he’ll stay at the minor league camp during spring training – but they recognize him as one of their top pitching prospects. Tim Bascom also should make any updated list. He looks like he’ll be a draft-day steal for the Orioles.

http://www.topprospectalert.com/2008baltimoreoriolesprospects.htm

1 Matt Wieters

1st Round Draft Pick; Did Not Play Pro Ball In 2007

#2 Billy Rowell

(Low-A) 91G .273 21(2B), 3(3B), 9HR, 57RBI, 31BB, 104K, 3SB

#3 Troy Patton

(MLB) 0-2, 3.55ERA, 12.2IP, 4BB, 8K, .213BAA

(AAA) 4-2, 4.59ERA, 49IP, 11BB, 25K, .247BAA

(AA) 6-6, 2.99ERA, 102.1IP, 33BB, 69K, .247BAA

#4 Nolan Reimold

(AA) 50G .306, 15(2B), 11HR, 34RBI, 17BB, 47K, 2SB

(Rk) 9G .233, 4(2B), 1(3B), 8RBI, 6BB, 4K,

#5 Garrett Olson

(MLB) 1-3, 7.79ERA, 32.1IP, 28BB, 28K, .326BAA

(AAA) 9-7 3.16ERA, 128IP, 39BB, 120K, .208BAA

#6 Radhames Liz

(MLB) 0-2, 6.93ERA, 24.2IP, 23BB, 24K, .260BAA

(AA) 11-4, 3.22ERA, 137IP, 70BB, 161K, .204BAA

#7 Brandon Erbe

(High-A) 6-8 6.26ERA, 119.1IP, 62BB, 111K, .273BAA

#8 Pedro Beato

(Low-A) 7-8 4.05ERA, 142.1IP, 59BB, 106K, .256BAA

#9 Mike Costanzo

(AA) 137G .270, 29(2B), 1(3B), 27HR, 86RBI, 75BB, 157K, 2SB

#10 Chorye Spoone

(High-A) 10-9, 3.26ERA, 152IP, 67BB, 133K, .200BAA

Baseball America's AL East Top 10 issue arrived on Friday.

From one to ten - Wieters, Liz, Patton, Reimold, Rowell, Snyder, Arrietta, Spoone, Beato and Erbe.

Encouraging comments for Liz, Reimold and Snyder, IMO, in the write-ups. Liz is the only starter mentioned with "top of the rotation" stuff.

an interesting article in Scout.com asking Deric McKamey from Baseball HQ about our prospects. Very positive on all 15. Very interesting is that he has Arrieta, Hernandez, and Patton as possible #3 starters. Hmmm. . . .Here's Scout.com Top 15

1. Matt Wieters ©

2. Bill Rowell (3B)

3. Radhames Liz (RHP)

4. Troy Patton (LHP)

5. Nolan Reimold (OF)

6. Jake Arrieta (RHP)

7. Garrett Olson (LHP)

8. Chorye Spoone (RHP)

9. Brandon Erbe (RHP)

10. James Hoey (RHP)

11. Pedro Beato (RHP)

12. Brandon Snyder ©

14. Mike Costanzo (3B)

15. Bob McCrory (RHP)

Good post and thanks for the info. Bascom will hopefully jump way up this list this season, and 3B Tyler Kolodny could surprise as well.

what suprised me, a little, is that he sees the O's pitchers as # 3 starters or bullpen guys. This can't be good.

This is true but these guys(Arrietta, Hernandez, et al) are still young and have time to change what scouts preceive them to be. If D. Hernandez has a very good year in AA ball, as well as Patten and Arrietta, they could change some minds. So what they think of them now really doesn't mean a whole lot,IMO.

I'm not sure Guthrie is a number 2. By which I mean I highly doubt Guthrie is a #2. And he's not that young.

The odds of Guthrie being a no. 2 next year are a lot better than the odds of Loewen being a no. 1 next year. But that's not saying much.

I don't worry that much about what any of the pundits say about a guy's ceiling being a no. 3. We can use all the no. 3 starters our system can generate.

Baseball America's AL East Top 10 issue arrived on Friday.

From one to ten - Wieters, Liz, Patton, Reimold, Rowell, Snyder, Arrietta, Spoone, Beato and Erbe.

Encouraging comments for Liz, Reimold and Snyder, IMO, in the write-ups. Liz is the only starter mentioned with "top of the rotation" stuff.

It's interesting to see they are still high on Snyder, but not that favorable on Rowell. And Beato before Erbe?? Where is Olson?

The odds of Guthrie being a no. 2 next year are a lot better than the odds of Loewen being a no. 1 next year. But that's not saying much.

I don't worry that much about what any of the pundits say about a guy's ceiling being a no. 3. We can use all the no. 3 starters our system can generate.

I think it's far more likely that Loewen pitches like a #4 next year (and I'd be happy with that) and Guthrie like a #5.

Fact is, we don't have a #1, #2 - besides Bedard. I agree about producing #3s. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to crank out a #1 or #2. To be sure.

I think it's far more likely that Loewen pitches like a #4 next year (and I'd be happy with that) and Guthrie like a #5.

Well, I have given this lecture many times, but most people don't realize how high the ERA's of 4's and 5's tend to be.

Last year there were 63 AL pitchers who pitched 100 innings.

1-14: 3.01-3.70

15-28: 3.70-4.11

29-42: 4.13-4.72

43-56: 4.75-5.57

57-63: 5.75-6.20

Now, do you really think Guthrie is going to have an ERA over 5.57 this year?

Well, I have given this lecture many times, but most people don't realize how high the ERA's of 4's and 5's tend to be.

Last year there were 63 AL pitchers who pitched 100 innings.

1-14: 3.01-3.70

15-28: 3.70-4.11

29-42: 4.13-4.72

43-56: 4.75-5.57

57-63: 5.75-6.20

Now, do you really think Guthrie is going to have an ERA over 5.57 this year?

I'm aware that those ERAs are high (and so don't need the lecture.) But they're averages. I didn't mean that he would pitch like a league-average #4 or #5 (and I'd like to see something other than an "average" of those numbers - teams can fall apart on the back end of a rotation with a patchwork of guys who aren't ML starters, distorting numbers. I think looking at pitchers who pitched 100 innings is low, and distorts your averages. If we look at 150 innings+ I think those numbers likely normalize.)

Rather, I'm looking at how I figure a #4 on a good team is likely to perform: an ERA between 4.50 and 5.00 - which is where I expect Loewen to be.

As for Guthrie, an ERA over 5 would not surprise me in the least. I don't think number #5 starters who are #5s all year (as opposed to call-ups, swingmen, etc.) are quite that high. But Guthrie at a 5.25 or so? Sure. I can see that.

But - as someone as nuanced as you are in your arguments should understand - I didn't say it was likely that they'd perform that way. I said it is more likely they perform that way than that they perform like #1-2. Yes, however, I do think it MORE likely that Guthrie puts up a 5+ ERA than that he pitches to a 3.75 ERA for the year.

Feel free to disagree. But if you want to question my analysis at least do it on the basis of what I actually said.

Archived