Markakis Scheduled For MRI

miwayjO's

The O's struggled mightily without Markakis the first time he got hurt last year. They went 15-20 in his absence, after starting the year 29-21. Then they went 34-20 when he came back, and went 15-8 after he got hurt again. Overall, they were 63-41 with Markakis, 30-28 without him. I'd say he was pretty important overall. But I agree the other players you mentioned would he harder to replace (reserving judgment on Machado a bit until he shows how well he plays this year).

Kind of my point. We kept afloat without him. We'd hurt if any of our starters got hurt, except for Roberts really. We have a lot of OF depth, and several leadoff options. I think we have the supporting cast to be closer to the 15-8 pct than 15-20 if he were to miss any time.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Neck stiffness (Markakis) is Significantly different than radicular pain down the arm (Reimold). In my world an MRI would never be approved for these symptoms this early. However, when you are dealing with a million dollar athlete, you do it after 4-5 days. If you hear reported that he has arm pain, numbness, or weakness then I would recommend "freaking out".

I have TOS which gives me the symptoms in your last sentence. Basically gives me weak arms and numbness, but I'm able to live with it. If that's what Nick ends up having, I think he'd be okay.

If Markakis is out, who plays RF? The Orioles online depth chart has Chris Davis, who did it much of last year (30 games in RF, 11 in LF, 38 at 1st, 60 as DH, 1 as P), but now he's pretty much locked in at first. So would it be McLouth or Reimold? (Who has the better arm?) Or someone else, based on whether the pitcher is lefty or righty? Career-wise, McLouth's played in RF 73 times in 712 games, while Reimold has played 12 in RF out of 204 games.

If Markakis is out, who plays RF? The Orioles online depth chart has Chris Davis, who did it much of last year (30 games in RF, 11 in LF, 38 at 1st, 60 as DH, 1 as P), but now he's pretty much locked in at first. So would it be McLouth or Reimold? (Who has the better arm?) Or someone else, based on whether the pitcher is lefty or righty? Career-wise, McLouth's played in RF 73 times in 712 games, while Reimold has played 12 in RF out of 204 games.

Reimold was a RF most of his time in the minors, and has a strong arm. I think he'd play RF and McLouth would play LF if Markakis couldn't go.

Nolan was a right fielder for most of his time in the minors, which made many of us question why the Orioles hadn't moved him to left knowing that Nick had right field blocked for many years to come. My prediction would be Nolan in right and Nate in left.

I think it's Reimold in RF if needed.

Reimold was a RF most of his time in the minors, and has a strong arm. I think he'd play RF and McLouth would play LF if Markakis couldn't go.
Nolan was a right fielder for most of his time in the minors, which made many of us question why the Orioles hadn't moved him to left knowing that Nick had right field blocked for many years to come. My prediction would be Nolan in right and Nate in left.
I think it's Reimold in RF if needed.

Assuming his shoulder is up to the task.

Yes most likely Reimold if he is healty. But it could also mean a spot for Dickerson since he is a LH bat. and a better defender.

If Kakes is out a while signing Bourne sure would of been nice. We could of just slid A.J. to RF and it would of been easy to swallow. Keeping my fingers crossed it's nothing. Not in freak out mode yet.

“The fans want you' date=' obviously, to go sign this guy, go sign that guy,” said Jones. “Go after Greinke. Go after Josh Hamilton. [b']People were blowing my Twitter up, saying, 'Would you move to left if they sign Michael Bourn?' 'Uhhh, nooo.' [/b]But people were saying, 'Go after him. Try and get Upton.' All that stuff. But just give me 25 guys who want to play the game, 25 selfless men that have one common goal, and I’ll be happy.

“And last year,” Jones chuckled, “we had 52 [of those selfless men]. We only had 25 at one time, but we had 52 who helped us succeed.”

Source

“The fans want you, obviously, to go sign this guy, go sign that guy,” said Jones. “Go after Greinke. Go after Josh Hamilton. People were blowing my Twitter up, saying, 'Would you move to left if they sign Michael Bourn?' 'Uhhh, nooo.' But people were saying, 'Go after him. Try and get Upton.' All that stuff. But just give me 25 guys who want to play the game, 25 selfless men that have one common goal, and I’ll be happy.

“And last year,” Jones chuckled, “we had 52 [of those selfless men]. We only had 25 at one time, but we had 52 who helped us succeed.”

Source

That put my theory to bed!ha Here's to hoping we're all freaked out for nothing and Kakes is back in a couple days.

Archived