Markakis Scheduled For MRI

miwayjO's

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did anyone actually think this was just going to be a few days?

The O's tend to understate injuries.

Didn't Reimold initially "sleep on it wrong"?

Yep, when I read, probably in Roch's blog, that Nick said he "slept on it wrong" I knew it was more serious then they were letting on. Not saying the injury IS serious, just that it was more serious then that.

Organizations need to start coming up with better smoke screens. :)

That being said, we've seen under Duquette that the O's have no problems putting players through MRI's even when they don't necessarily suspect there to be a deeper problem. Hopefully this is just the O's being cautious and the MRI is clean.

Reimold and Roberts are all but guaranteed to miss significant time. THIS would be a crushing blow. Injuries determine the season. Perhaps that is why we have so many OFers in camp. Just a thought.

There are so many outfielders in camp because DD collects strays like that crazy old lady down the street.

Neck stiffness (Markakis) is Significantly different than radicular pain down the arm (Reimold). In my world an MRI would never be approved for these symptoms this early. However, when you are dealing with a million dollar athlete, you do it after 4-5 days. If you hear reported that he has arm pain, numbness, or weakness then I would recommend "freaking out".

Glad to see no one is over reacting here.

Keep Calm and Buck On

I'd love to side with you on this... but I had that exact same attitude about B-Rob's initial injury..... 3 years ago.

I'm scared stiff with this news about Nick

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Is it really a big problem?    Walking guys is only rarely a good strategy.  
    • Some of this year’s struggles with LHP strike me as one of those fluky things that happen in baseball.   Here are some 2021/2022 numbers vs. LHP: Mountcastle .842/.713 Hays .897/.701 Mullins .788/.573 Now Mullins, in his switch hitting days, was weak vs. LHP.   When he switched to hitting from the left side exclusively, he hit them much better last year, but my impression is he did most of his damage in the first half of the season.  So, it may be that LHP have figured out how to attack him and his 2022 numbers are more predictive of the future than 2021.    Mountcastle and Hays, on the other hand, are capable of doing much better than they did this year vs. LHP. Rutschman has a .568 OPS vs. LHP and I feel that’s fluky as well.   He had good splits against LHP in the minors and in college.  My guess is he’ll work on his RH stroke in the offseason and do much better next year.  (Honestly, he doesn’t have much else to work on.) The way OPACY is set up now, it favors LHB and thus LHP figure to do well there.   We’re still facing RHP 70% of the time, so I don’t think we want to load up on RHB and put us at a disadvantage in our own ballpark just to address a problem that exists 30% of the time and may be a one-year anomaly.       
    • Oh he’s going to hit it against us. I just hope it’s off a pitcher that isn’t with us for the long term. Like Lyles, or one of our up/down relievers.    But I want to see our pitchers go at him. We’re about building respect in our franchise back, and building confidence for next year.    Hyde is class, and it’s time we got back to that completely. 
    • Funny thing … Mantle hit 500th and for the Os, the mighty Mark Belanger hit a HR lol … his only one in 1967 and one of 20 career over 18 seasons 
    • Oh we have a history of being part of Yankee lore … Cal breaking Lou’s record, and Stu Miller giving up Mickey’s 500th (when 500 meant something) .. The Yankees were spawned from the 1890s Oriole franchise moved by the fledgling AL to NY as the Highlanders for a season then Yankees pitch to the MFY and strike his butt out four times !!  http://mickeymantle.com/500th-home-run/  
    • True, but it's all the writers that make that vote, not just NY voters.  NY writers vote's don't carry more weight than anyone else's. Agree, I like him, overall.   I'll notice.  You'll notice.  Everyone here will notice.   Poking them in the eye, repeatedly.  Very hard, sharp, quick thrusts. But also, who do you want a record set against?  You or someone else?   True. TLDR   I'm not sure when you joined but I know you've been here awhile.  I'm pretty sure we're all well aware of Judge's history against us. If you need to be reminded, it's a .314/.430/.712 slash line with 35 homers.  That's more homers against any team and by a decent amount.  He's got 28 against the Jays and then the next highest amount is 21 against the Sox.   I've seen how our guys do pitching to him for years now and the results are hardly ever pretty.  He's got 9 homers against us this year, which is more than any other team.  I'm pretty sure I know how this story ends.
    • I thought at the time that Hyde likely was saving Mullins for pinch-running in case he needed some speed for the tying run. 
  • Popular Contributors