Markakis said 2-3 wk recovery but docs said cud be 8-12 before he's totally symptom free

Greg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like I may not be seeing Nick Markakis on my first Opening Day.

split the difference and call it 10 weeks (no baseball activity), add three week rehab assignment and I have him returning to the lineup on 6/12

A couple of months of struggling with flare ups and not performing up to Nick's standards, surgical consults and then season ending surgery, mid September.

Surgical recovery for herniated disc is minimum 9 months... so returning to lineup just before all star break 2014.

Very disappointing.

I don't see Roberts or Reimold lasting past mid May.

O's will be starting 2-3 AAAA players.

Going to really struggle to score runs this year.

Reynolds will OPS 860 for Cleveland

Ever since I've heard about this herniated disk I was thinking Markakis would start the year on the DL so this isn't surprising. The only things surprising were the initial reports that suggested he may only be out for a week or two more. Hopefully he can be back and pretty much full strength by late April. anything before that will be nice, but I'm not expecting it. The Orioles really need Reimold to step up here at the plate and in the field.

If there isn't a risk of aggravating the injury then he may very well be playing before he is totally symptom free.

This is exactly why this is such a serious injury. The acivity of swinging a bat is probably what caused the disk to herniate in the first place, so for the rest of his career playing baseball is a risk for aggravating the herniation. PT will be prescribed to strengthen the muscles but it would seem this is less likely to be helpful for a C4 C5 (neck) as opposed to a lumbar disc.

split the difference and call it 10 weeks (no baseball activity), add three week rehab assignment and I have him returning to the lineup on 6/12

A couple of months of struggling with flare ups and not performing up to Nick's standards, surgical consults and then season ending surgery, mid September.

Surgical recovery for herniated disc is minimum 9 months... so returning to lineup just before all star break 2014.

Very disappointing.

Boy, you are the glass half empty kind of guy. I will go in reverse order here, since you asked for my opinion:rolleyes:

Reynolds-He has only had one OPS over .860 in his career and that was in 2009 when he had a career year with a whopping .260 Avg. He is not going to blow up and have another career year. Second part, Davis will prove to be a better option at first and an overall upgrade so it shouldnt bother us we have Davis instead of Reynolds, we should be happy.

Not going to struggle scoring runs, we have upgraded 1B, LF, and 2B. Even if Flaherty has to be the every day 2B, it will be an upgrade offensively over last year.

Roberts will last past May unless there is a injury not associated with past injuries.

Very disappointing.

Webbrick, thy name is Slippery Slope.

This is exactly why this is such a serious injury. The acivity of swinging a bat is probably what caused the disk to herniate in the first place, so for the rest of his career playing baseball is a risk for aggravating the herniation. PT will be prescribed to strengthen the muscles but it would seem this is less likely to be helpful for a C4 C5 (neck) as opposed to a lumbar disc.

What if he promises to just bunt?

You have no idea what caused the disc to herniate in the first place, much less a timeline for his 2013 season.

Archived