Rosenthal on Gausman and Bundy

wildcard

Very insightful, I must say--Now I realize what Ingmar's "Smiles on a Summer Night" was really about!

RE Fellini: I think you're scouting report is a bit narrow. Yes, Fellini could throw an incredible knuckleball (the unforgettable Satyricon season), but then there were also years he'd just entice the batter with one at the beginning of an at-bat or game--as in La Dolce Vita--and then kill you the rest of the way with sliders and 2-seamers (La Strada) or curves and a straight, but "rising" fastball (Amarcord). He was lucky to have a long enough career to show us everything he had, as well as a wife who was great at batting second.

If you want FBs, I'd go with Bergman's The Seventh Seal. No fluff there. And for curves, well, he parodies Fellini with All These Women. Nothing like a send up of ones contemporaries to keep them on their toes. At the end of his career he could still work the hitter with his guile making Fanny and Alexander(Best Foreign Film).

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your argument is incredible. You're essentially saying that Gomes is incapable of standing in the batter's box and distinguishing the difference between good stuff and not good stuff, all because he basically has a league average OPS against righties. So the fact that he doesn't mash righties means that he can no longer see the ball, or differentiate between two pitcher's stuff.

That's incredible...as in, not credible.

Right, I mean wildcard isn't paid to do analysis of players and coaches, so I think according to his logic we can well assume that we can't take his assumptions to mean anything. If he was being paid to do this kind of analysis that'd make him good (Kevin Cowherd), oh wait...

Stuff is stuff, the guys who stand in the batters boxes can differentiate the good and the bad. I bet Gomes would tell you a certain pitcher is awful, and then K against him.

The funniest part of his argument is the differentiation between LHP and RHP. Like...he can measure lefties, because hit can hit those guys. But that RHP OPS...that's a deal breaker.

If Fellini were a pitcher, he'd be a knuckleballer. You could pretty much count on everything Bergman would throw as being down. Very down...and away. Far, far away...

There would be no change ups because change is not possible in Sweden. Even in summer which is when baseball would be played in Sweden. If there was a point.

Maybe the best post ever! Must spread rep.

Which of our starting 4 of Hammel, Chen, Gonzo, or Tillman, would you want to replace with Gausman? Which of Matusz, Britton, Arrieta, Johnson, Jurjjens, would you skip over for the #5 spot and replace with Gausman? Why not have Gausman up at the end of the season when we will really need him and he has the innings left to give up? Why not let him work on his slider in the MiL so when he does come up he will be Verlander? Why not let these other SP have a shot to see what their value can become for trade?Why compare Gausman and Bundy? Lets see what Bundy is like in two years.

You make a lot of sense El Gordo.

Hammel's career numbers:

1st half: 29-24, 4.29 ERA

2nd half: 13-27, 5.39 ERA

I woundn't sign him until after the season when we see how he does 2nd half. Then its a matter of is he worth the money.

My gut feeling is, Duquette won't want to shell out what it would cost to keep Hammel, if the young pitchers are progressing as we hope. But if he does want to keep Hammel, I'd rather lock him up before he becomes a free agent, instead of waiting until after the season and letting other teams get in on the bidding.

Right, I mean wildcard isn't paid to do analysis of players and coaches, so I think according to his logic we can well assume that we can't take his assumptions to mean anything. If he was being paid to do this kind of analysis that'd make him good (Kevin Cowherd), oh wait...

Stuff is stuff, the guys who stand in the batters boxes can differentiate the good and the bad. I bet Gomes would tell you a certain pitcher is awful, and then K against him.

The funniest part of his argument is the differentiation between LHP and RHP. Like...he can measure lefties, because hit can hit those guys. But that RHP OPS...that's a deal breaker.

There is nothing wrong with Gomez commenting. Its a question of how much it should be valued. You can value it highly if you want. I'll wait for other's evaluation.

If Fellini were a pitcher, he'd be a knuckleballer. You could pretty much count on everything Bergman would throw as being down. Very down...and away. Far, far away...

There would be no change ups because change is not possible in Sweden. Even in summer which is when baseball would be played in Sweden. If there was a point.

Quentin Tarantino would be effectively wild. Until the fifth inning when he might self immolate. And we all felt appropriately guilty about it afterwards.

And given those points, service time considerations can not be ignored. You definitely want that extra year if Gausman is really that good.

I don't discount this, but I'm hoping that the organization has learned the Mussina lesson already and won't blow it if Gausman is $. If they are committed to that, and he can help win a pennant this year then they shouldn't worry about the future.

Archived