vs. RAYS, 4/02 (Opening Day)

OFFNY

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tampa pitching is a damn nightmare. Don't they have anyone lousy? This brings back painful memories of last year, when every guy they put out there (starter or reliever) had no-hit stuff. Messed up our hitting big time in the playoffs. If that team would ever invest in hitting and trade one of their 10 Cy Youngs, they would have a truly great team.

Tampa pitching is a damn nightmare. Don't they have anyone lousy? This brings back painful memories of last year, when every guy they put out there (starter or reliever) had no-hit stuff. Messed up our hitting big time in the playoffs. If that team would ever invest in hitting and trade one of their 10 Cy Youngs, they would have a truly great team.

Well Wil Myers looks to be pretty good.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• While I am impressed with Basallo’s performance , are we forgetting that he is ONLY 19 years old ?  Or he is at AA level ?   And we want bring him up this season ?  SMH 
    • Considering who’s on the bench, this lineup is pretty solid. 
    • On OH? Come now, come now, you're much too dumb now.  No one is excluded from the Grand Counsel. Furious posting pace is all that is required. With a little hard work and dedication, you too can join the hallowed ranks.
    • The Yankees DH yesterday was Jahmai Jones and J.D. Davis was battling in the cleanup spot. 😬
    • Unfortunately, the game logs such as the one you linked don't show the catch probability of various plays.   So far as I know, the only way to find them is: 1.   Using a laptop or desk computer (not a phone), go to the Baseball Savant page for the player who made/missed the play. 2.  Scroll down to the light green ribbon and click on "fielding." 3.  Scroll further down until you seen the graph that shows distance and hang time on the two axes.  Each dot represents a play, with red dots representing catches made and grey representing catches not made.   From there, you have to take educated guesses as to which dot represents the play you are looking for.   When you click on the dot, a video of the play will come up along with a side box noting the date, and you can confirm if you found what you are looking for. 4.  Once you've found the right dot, you can hover the cursor over it and it will give you a catch probability.    It's a complete pain in the butt to have to do it this way, but there it is. So, I have done that for the three plays described in the OP: The Julio Rodriguez attempt on O'Hearn's double was rated a 15% probability catch, requiring the CF to cover 95 feet in 4.8 seconds. The Austin Hays diving catch was rated a 75% probability catch, requiring Hays to cover 37 feet in 3.3 seconds. The Anthony Santander sliding catch was deemed an 80% probability catch, requiring Santander to cover 98 feet in 5.4 seconds. For an extra added bonus, this July 2 catch by Colton Cowser in the LF corner was rated a 40% probability catch, requiring Cowser to cover 95 feet in 5.0 seconds.
    • And Mounty is 2 for 6 off of him. Let us read tea leaves Corn 😁
    • What about Chris Bassitt for the rotation? I remember some rumors that the Orioles had interest when he signed with Toronto. He's got about $33 million left for the rest of this year and next. Aside from the help for the rest of this year and assuming Burnes is gone, they're going to need an anchor-type who can give them 180-200 innings. I definitely wouldn't go Mayo, Basallo or Holiday in a deal but maybe a McDermott, a couple in the Norby, Beavers, Etzel, Fabian, Cook level and maybe one of the young international prospects. 
  • Popular Contributors