vs. RAYS, 4/02 (Opening Day)

OFFNY

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're talking about the Reggie Jackson trade from April of 1976 !!! :boogie: :boogie: :boogie:

Palmer was wrong when he just said that Reggie hit 29 home runs that season, though.

Reggie hit 27.

Craig Nettles led the league with 29.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• How do you feel about Houston SG?  They seem to be playing the best baseball over the past couple of months including a sweep of the Orioles and they certainly have the pedigree. Cleveland like the Orioles and Yankees are slumping while Houston is hot. Obviously this could all change a month from now. 
    • Rosenthal with a piece about Skenes' bid to pull off the Adley Rutschman Scenario and earn himself 1.000 years of service. https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5708546/2024/08/19/pirates-paul-skenes-rookie-shut-down-service/ I know Buck Showalter as a matter of honor would compete with Skenes in game 160, 161 or 162 against the Yankees, but as all the Raysian GMs know he was absurdly sentimental about such things. Skenes I think probably just wants to keep practicing his life mastery of the game of baseball, and perhaps never in his MLB career will have to average ~110 pitches over a dozen odd starts like he did for LSU last year, but we'll see if he can continue to throw a baseball 6 more weeks. Skenes competition for a Top 2 RoY placement by fWAR today looking like Yamamoto, Imanaga, Merrill, Chourio and holy cow whoever Tyler Fitzgerald is.
    • Right but man Rogers has been what I and many thought he would be terrible.  Yes that Burns gane was so frustrating. 
    • IIRC on broadcast it was mentioned about greater use of cutter.  Per fangraphs, we’ve seen about 5% greater mix each of cutter and changeup, 3% higher mix trade of 4 seam v 2 seam, and 5% lower each of breaking balls slider and curveball compared to time on 2024 TBR.   A couple other interesting tidbits from scanning his page.  (1) His curveball was a plus pitch last year with TBR but rates as worst pitch this year. (2) in terms of stuff+, Eflin is well below average in terms of stuff+ but well above average in terms of location+
    • Royals 27-35 against teams > .500. Twins are 29-37. I don't at all disagree that they could be dangerous in the playoffs, any team can, but those 2 have really feasted on lesser competition. Royals get LAA for 3 this week and then face a pretty tough closing stretch.  Let's see if they hang in there.  
    • Could maybe see Kremer in bullpen role for postseason?  Unlike Big Al whose stuff remained the same starter v bullpen, I bet we would see tick or two up in Kremer’s stuff and potentially get higher K rate in shorter stints. We already see Deano dial fastball up on occasion as a starter, so may see more frequent 95-96mph heater out of the pen. Pair that with his new split this year, could be viable back end reliever for 7 or 8th innings. 
    • The McCann Influence - book it! 😀
  • Popular Contributors