Jason Hammel Today, 2013

OFFNY

I think he's gonna be ok long term.

Look around baseball, a ton of staff aces are getting lit up, struggling and having velocity issues or some combo of those problems. It's still early and the weather hasn't been great, by the dog days of summer, Hammel will be fine.

Just my opinion anyways.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
K/9 is down, GB% is down, HR/9 is up.

That being said, with such a small sample size, those numbers could correct themselves with a handful of 2012-esque outings, and he did get of ton of grounders tonight.

Things like K% stabilize early on. And he's just not getting fooling anyone. He was all over the plate tonight, his pitches haven't had the same crisp movement, and batters are making contact on everything they swing at. His BABIP is .221. He just hasn't looked the same. I'm hoping he was taking it real easy in those minor league spring training games and he's still getting warmed up, cause he isn't giving us any reason to think the strikeouts are coming back.

Things like K% stabilize early on. And he's just not getting fooling anyone. He was all over the plate tonight, his pitches haven't had the same crisp movement, and batters are making contact on everything they swing at. His BABIP is .221. He just hasn't looked the same. I'm hoping he was taking it real easy in those minor league spring training games and he's still getting warmed up, cause he isn't giving us any reason to think the strikeouts are coming back.

I kind of expected Hammel to regress a little this year. What I liked was how he minimized the damage when his defense gave the opponents three extra outs in one inning. Most pitchers would have been badly rattled by that, but he got through it.

I kind of expected Hammel to regress a little this year. What I liked was how he minimized the damage when his defense gave the opponents three extra outs in one inning. Most pitchers would have been badly rattled by that, but he got through it.

What you said is all I'm expecting really. Can he every fifth day go out and be a verteran smart pitcher and keep us in ballgames. I think his stuff is close and not as far away as some folks are saying.

Its kinda funny that our back of the rotation guys have better 'pure' stuff then our first three.

Gosh he won the game last night. Why isn't that enough?

I'm not worried about last night. Last night is done. I'm worried about the future because he's giving me reason to. Wins aren't quite as predictive as strikeouts.

Welp, he's averaging 4.7 K/9 so far this year. That's ahead of Wei-Yin Chen and almost as much as Miguel Gonzalez.

His early season WHIP is 1.141 including 7.3 H/9. People aren't hitting off him very often. When they do... his HR/9 is a little high at 1.2. His walk rate is 2.9 BB/9 so that's fine.

He might not be quite as good as last year but it looks like he'll be in the rotation for as long as he is healthy (knock on wood).

Here's another interesting tidbit (maybe)... so far, of the five pitchers to start the rotation for the Orioles, their season ERA is in reverse of their season K/9:

Chen - 3.38 ERA, 4.1 K/9

Hammel - 3.82 ERA, 4.7 K/9

Gonzalez - 4.13 ERA, 4.9 K/9

Tillman - 5.23 ERA, 7.8 K/9

Arrieta - 6.63 ERA, 9.5 K/9

:noidea:

17 of the 24 batters that Hammel has faced were first-pitch strikes.

He started out with 16 of the first 20 batters for first-pitch strikes, and then faded.

JASON HAMMEL O (vs. MARINERS, 4/30)

IP:. 5-Plus

H:o 7

R:O 2

BB: 3

SO: 5

Pitches: 102 (59 Strikes, 43 Balls)

2012 ERA: 3.79

PITCHES BY INNINGS

22 (14 Strikes)

18 (91 Strikes)

10 (51 Strikes)

20 (11 Strikes)

20 (14 Strikes)

12 (61 Strikes) *

* Hammel did not retire any batters before departing in the 6th inning.

Tight strike zone tonight imo.
Very, very tight. For both teams. Hammel got squeezed numerous times.
Tightest I've seen but very consistent and same for both teams.

Well this makes me glad that I added the caveat about not getting to watch his performance. It's good to know he was better than the numbers indicate.

Well this makes me glad that I added the caveat about not getting to watch his performance. It's good to know he was better than the numbers indicate.

It should also be noted that Hammel waited a very long time to come out for the bottom of the first inning, and again in the bottom of the 6th, on a chilly night.

Archived