Jim Johnson Today, 2013

OFFNY

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Orioles still need to make a trade for another bullpen arm. There are a lot out there that could help us, regardless of who our closer is. Francisco Rodriguez and John Axford in Milwaukee would be near the top of my list.

Depends what the Tigers would give up at this point, but I think JJ needs moved into an alternate role ASAP

He isn't good enough to pitch for the O's but you think the Tigers would be dumb enough to trade for him?

What makes you think they would even want to take on the 3 million in salary he is owed?

I got bashed and neg repped here when I said I could never trust Johnson again after what happened last year in the playoffs.

I was called a jerk, I was called pathetic. How is that looking now guys? You want Johnson in there in game 7 against the Yankees?

You can take back your neg reps now, but if that's not possible I will accept apologies.

The guy is done and it happens with relievers. Should have traded him in the offseason.

Well if you got repeatedly neg repped for your comments it had to do more with how you went about it then just the fact that you criticized Johnson.

I was adamant about wanting to trade Johnson and more then once stated that he wasn't anything close to an elite closer.

I never got hit with neg rep for my Johnson comments.

Of course I didn't make any reactionary posts after he blew the playoff games.

Last year, IIRC, Johnson had a pretty good curveball. Not great, but enough to mix things up a bit.

Last night, and on a lot of nights this year, I've been seeing really nothing but the sinker and changeups. Maybe he should start using that curve again...

It's easier for Buck to make it a team loss by pointing out the lack of offense yesterday. Everyone saw the blown save, what good what it do to publicly kick a guy when he's down? All that will do is let the other players know that the manager won't hesitate to blame specific players for a loss. This is a surefire way for the manager to lose the clubhouse.

I'm not suggesting he throw Johnson under a bus. But he glossed over the issue and shifted the focus on the offense. He's not kidding anybody as is evident in this thread with the responses to his "mickey mouse" answers. The fans aren't stupid.

He could have said something to effect that "Johnson is struggling but I'm sure he'll work it out and give us what we know he's capable of."

I'm not sure he'll use Johnson today if there is a similar situation. He'll tell Thorne after the game he wanted to rest him after working him on Friday night.

Roch Kubatko ‏@masnRoch 6m

Buck doesn't sound like he's ready to change closers. Noted not everyone physically able pitch consecutive days. #Orioles

Dan Connolly ‏@danconnollysun 6m

Showalter says Jim Johnson is still the team's best option to close out games.

Roch Kubatko ‏@masnRoch 6m

Buck doesn't sound like he's ready to change closers. Noted, not everyone physically able pitch consecutive days. #Orioles

Dan Connolly ‏@danconnollysun 6m

Showalter says Jim Johnson is still the team's best option to close out games.

Thanks for the info.

I'm not suggesting he throw Johnson under a bus. But he glossed over the issue and shifted the focus on the offense. He's not kidding anybody as is evident in this thread with the responses to his "mickey mouse" answers. The fans aren't stupid.

He could have said something to effect that "Johnson is struggling but I'm sure he'll work it out and give us what we know he's capable of."

I'm not sure he'll use Johnson today if there is a similar situation. He'll tell Thorne after the game he wanted to rest him after working him on Friday night.

You said that he Buck completely glossed over Johnson's ineffectiveness. Everyone saw the blown save, so i don't see the point of Buck expounding on it after the game. I know the fans aren't stupid, but they are rightfully frustrated.

He could have, but a lot of people would have considered this "Mickey Mouse coach speak."

I'm not sure that I would use him either. Hopefully, He'll have an easier interview after the Orioles win today.

Thanks for the info.

Did anyone think that he would say anything else? But you know his favorite 'Your actions speak so loudly, I can't hear a word you're saying." So we will see what he does. Not what he says when backed into a corner. By press.

Did anyone think that he would say anything else? But you know his favorite 'Your actions speak so loudly, I can't hear a word you're saying." So we will see what he does. Not what he says when backed into a corner. By press.

Johnson has had issues for a while now and especially with the Yankees. Really since the early Sept game last year that ended with the miraculous DP of Tex, Johnson has had trouble getting clean saves against them, if he gets saves at all. Very frustrating.

I don't even know what to think anymore. I have been low on Johnson for a weeks now and my confidence just keeps going lower. I was high on the idea of Hunter for a while but then two game ago he blows one also. I was elated to see him stay in during the ninth against Chicago but he let me down too. Don't know who to trust anymore. I would still be willing to give Hunter another chance... But truly I am feeling low on the whole bullpen. They are killing this team. That's it.

Archived