Brian Matusz Today, 2013

OFFNY

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brian had been just slightly less dominant as last year. Yeah his ERA was a bit higher but I am not a huge person on ERA especially a situational lefty. The entire pen has been worse this year so if you do come in put a guy on the guys behind you have let in more then last year. His Whip though has been just a about the same this season compared to last as a reliever and that is a better stat showing how he is doing when pitching in the game not ERA which is very easily affected by the guys behind you as a reliever.

I don't think he is happy with being a relief pitcher. He is effective for one or two hitters, no more. IMO he is devaluing himself, looks disinterested. I would like to make him part of a package.

At his price tag, he might well be included in a package, but DD may shy away since Patton has severely regressed.

I didn't get to watch today, but right now it just looks like Brian will not recover to be the guy he was in 2010. That's discouraging for me because after his dominance out of the bullpen last year, I still had hope that we would find that guy. What he definitely hasn't found since 2010 is the change up that he could throw at any time. Huge pitch for him that kept hitters off balance. Without that pitch, he is a good LOOGY.

He wasn't as bad as the line though. The first hit was off the end of the bat bloop. Then he gave up a shattered bat even after the fact he got the guy to pop up but we let it fall in foul territory. We catch that he is out of the inning with just two hits one a bloop and the homer which was a bad pitch.

Sorry, he was as bad as his line. He came in with a huge lead and threw like he was going through the motions, not looking competitive at all.

I don't think he is happy with being a relief pitcher. He is effective for one or two hitters, no more. IMO he is devaluing himself, looks disinterested. I would like to make him part of a package.

He has the teams 2nd best whip only behind Tommmy Hunter. He also has the lowest batting average against then anyone on the team. All this is includes yesterday where he was first in both before the game.

BRIAN MATUSZ O (vs. ANGELS, 6/12)

IP:. 1

H:o 1

R:O 1

ER:)0

BB: 1 *

SO: 0

Pitches: 23 (13 Strikes, 10 Balls) **

2013 ERA: 3.86

* The walk was intentional

** 19 (13 Strikes, 6 Balls) .[MINUS THE INTENTIONAL WALK]

He has really been struggling as of late. Our pitching staff is on fumes at the moment. We need some new blood.

I would option Matusz to Norfolk at this point and call up a fresh arm. I'd bring up Ascencio (sp?) to try and breathe some life into this bullpen.

Archived