BRIAN MATUSZ O (vs. YANKEES, 7/06)

IP:. 1 *

H:o 0

R:O 0

BB: 1

SO: 1

Pitches: 15 (8 Strikes, 7 Balls)

2013 ERA: 3.78

* Matusz entered the game with runners on 1st and 2nd base and one out.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BRIAN MATUSZ O (vs. RANGERS, 7/09)

IP:. 1.33 *

H:o 1

R:O 0

BB: 0

SO: 1

Pitches: 17 (10 Strikes, 7 Balls)

2013 ERA: 3.53

* Matusz entered the game with runners on 1st and 2nd base and two outs.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen some say Brian may not be back next year.. I'm unclear on how much longer we have team control..

BUT, he just doesn't look like he'll ever be that guy we saw in 2010 again. I had hope going into this season that maybe he figured something out last year out of the bullpen and perhaps, even though he's in the bullpen this year, could become a factor in the future as a starter.

He plays well out of the bullpen, but he isn't the same all around pitcher and I guess he never will be.

My memory is of a guy that had all four pitches and could throw them pretty much anywhere at any time. Biggest thing I haven't seen him do in a while is throw the FB inside on righties. I remember that being something he did pretty well when he was right, painting that inside corner.

He elevates pitches pretty often, and he just doesn't get guys off balance the way he used to when he was at his best.

I was really rooting for him to make it all the way back, but at least we got some value out of him.

I've seen some say Brian may not be back next year.. I'm unclear on how much longer we have team control..

BUT, he just doesn't look like he'll ever be that guy we saw in 2010 again. I had hope going into this season that maybe he figured something out last year out of the bullpen and perhaps, even though he's in the bullpen this year, could become a factor in the future as a starter.

He plays well out of the bullpen, but he isn't the same all around pitcher and I guess he never will be.

My memory is of a guy that had all four pitches and could throw them pretty much anywhere at any time. Biggest thing I haven't seen him do in a while is throw the FB inside on righties. I remember that being something he did pretty well when he was right, painting that inside corner.

He elevates pitches pretty often, and he just doesn't get guys off balance the way he used to when he was at his best.

I was really rooting for him to make it all the way back, but at least we got some value out of him.

Per COTS:

• 1 year/$1.6M (2013)
    • re-signed by Baltimore 1/18/13 (avoided arbitration)

Thanks. I fixed it.

He has pitched pretty well the last 14 games without giving up a run. He makes a good combo with O'day in late innings. Brian can't get out righties and Darren lefties. Brian will still be a big piece down the stretch to get the lefties.

Archived