Brian Matusz Today, 2013

OFFNY

It may be time to look at Matusz as a situational lefty/LOOGY type. His changeup is just not there. Kind of sad really.

He threw one the other night when he came in for a first pitch called strike then he couldn't find the plate with it again. Yes, sad. I'd trade him, he wants to start and I'd rather not have a malcontent.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He threw one the other night when he came in for a first pitch called strike then he couldn't find the plate with it again. Yes, sad. I'd trade him, he wants to start and I'd rather not have a malcontent.

Yeah quite a fall. First round pick and #2 starter, to reliever, to LOOGY boy.

Start? He has trouble going more than 1 inning in relief. Got away with some really bad pitches in the 8th.

Yeah, he was more lucky than good today. If he doesn't improve, you'd have to think he's a trade candidate or DFA candidate next year. I believe he still has an option left.

That's good, but I'm not sure he's worth arbitration money though. LOOGYs are pretty easy to find and pretty cheap.

Nope, that's why I'd package him along with Strop to a NL team. The option will make him valuable and someone might still think he can start. Strop has a live arm and he was lights out and in the WBC this year.

Do I sound like I'm selling used cars?

Nope, that's why I'd package him along with Strop to a NL team. The option will make him valuable and someone might still think he can start. Strop has a live arm and he was lights out and in the WBC this year.

Do I sound like I'm selling used cars?

Yeah, that sounds like a decent plan. Maybe Matusz gets Nolacso and we just slot Hendrickson or Gausman in the BP. I was much higher on Matusz a few weeks ago, but he just doesn't look good.

Yeah, that sounds like a decent plan. Maybe Matusz gets Nolacso and we just slot Hendrickson or Gausman in the BP. I was much higher on Matusz a few weeks ago, but he just doesn't look good.

I like the idea of Gausman there. That's what Earl used to do and it limits his innings. You can always bring him in for a spot start later in the year.

Start? He has trouble going more than 1 inning in relief. Got away with some really bad pitches in the 8th.

Also,the 7th. Was at the game and his pitches looked awfully hittable. Alot of good cuts and just miss long files. Drew really got into one.

I was wondering why O'Day never warmed up or got in the game? Virus also?

Matusz would give up many homers as a starter. Young Sweaty Freddy.

BRIAN MATUSZ O (vs. TIGERS, 6/18)

IP:. 0.33 *

H:o 0

R:O 0

BB: 0

SO: 0

Pitches: 1 (1 Strike, 0 Balls)

2013 ERA: 4.08

* Matusz entered the game with runners on 1st and 3rd base and two outs.

BRIAN MATUSZ O (vs. TIGERS, 6/18)

IP:. 0.33 *

H:o 0

Pitches: 1 (1 Strike, 0 Balls)

2013 ERA: 4.08

* Matusz entered the game with runners on 1st and 3rd base and two outs.

I love that he did it in one pitch. And I especially love that Buck wasn't tempted to bring him back for the 8th, even though he'd thrown only one pitch.

Not including the intentional walk, Matusz threw strikes for 15 out his 19 pitches.

BRIAN MATUSZ O (vs. BLUE JAYS, 6/21)

IP:. 1.33 O(LOSS)

H:o 1

R:O 1

BB: 1 *

Pitches: 23 (15 Strike, 8 Balls) **

2013 ERA: 4.20

* The walk was intentional.

** 19 (15 Strikes, 4 Balls) .[Minus the Intentional Walk]

Another game with a good strikes-to-balls ratio for Brian (14 Strikes, 5 Balls.)

BRIAN MATUSZ O (vs. INDIANS, 6/24)

IP:. 1

H:o 1

SO: 2

Pitches: 19 (14 Strike, 5 Balls)

2013 ERA: 4.06

Archived