Jones Bases Loaded Drop

jabba72

Very frustrating, definitely should have made the catch, and as much as I love his overall game, I really wish he would stop blowing bubbles. Even if it does not affect his play it is unprofessional and disrespects the game.

Still, in Adam's defense 1) because of the angle he took, he ended up having to block his line of vision with his glove, causing him to lose sight of it for a split second; 2) it was not a "routine" play, he had to go back quite a ways and catch the ball hit straight over his head on the run, a ball that could easily have gone for a double if he had not gotten a good jump; 3) as other have said, he was approaching the wall and that always makes things difficult.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I never saw (and I don't believe it ever happened) Paul Blair drop such a routine fly ball.

His gold gloves are real. I have no idea how Adam got his.

Don't blame Adam blame the people that voted on him to get the GG. I am sick and tired about hearing about Adam and his Gold Gloves. I don't think he should of gotten them but that isn't his fault, he didn't give himself the award.

You guys all saw the whole "Put a Bird on it" stuff last year. You know Jones loves showboating and hotdogging. To say he doesnt is just being intentionally blind. Which is okay, you can close your eyes to whatever you want. But when it happens again. And it will. Look closely.

I think Jones likes to hotdog.

I also think that him blowing a bubble has zero effect on his ability to catch a baseball.

He blows a bubble everytime he catches a ball. And, like every baseball player ever, sometimes he's going to drop a ball. So every time he drops a ball, he'll be blowing a bubble. Doesn't mean the bubble caused it.

1. I agree his fundamentals are terrible.

2. Blowing the bubble is a habit, however i cannot say that it doesn't distract someone for just a split second - maybe the tactile sensation of the bubble feels a little different as it forms or maybe he has to blow a little harder in the cold. i do feel that it is a completely unnecessary risk factor no matter how minor it might seem.

3. Jones knew the bases were loaded, 7th inning, Yankee Stadium, AL East rivals. All the more reason that his error was even more costly is that he knew the situation and the consequences. If he had jumped over the fence and caught a certain homer, we would say he saved the game and, in this situation, unfortunately, he lost the game.

As much as I hate pegging all the blame or praise on one play or one person... I was the one that brought it up ;)

In that scenario, Jones would have saved Miguel (and to a lesser degree, Patton) from an embarrassing situation. In reality, he contributed to the loss but I still think the walks had more of a negative impact than Jones... not that Jones had no impact whatsoever.

Whether or not the blowing bubbles actually affects his play in the field, these "lapses in concentration" happen enough that I think he should be prohibited from chewing bubble gum on the field. He's now directly cost us two games with his botched plays in the outfield.

Amen. Buck should be having a talk with Adam. Maybe DH him a couple nights to send the message.

You CANNOT blow bubbles while trying to catch the ball. It's hotdogging. It's disgraceful to cost the other 24 guys on that roster another game with bubble gum stupidity.

Too many enablers in sports & unfortunately, Buck seems to be one of them.

As much as I hate pegging all the blame or praise on one play or one person... I was the one that brought it up ;)

In that scenario, Jones would have saved Miguel (and to a lesser degree, Patton) from an embarrassing situation. In reality, he contributed to the loss but I still think the walks had more of a negative impact than Jones... not that Jones had no impact whatsoever.

Half a dozen of one, six of the other. If he makes the catch, there is no impact at all of the walk or hit batsman. But both were important components of the train wreck inning that occurred..lol.

So, are Evan Longoria and Pablo Sandoval also "hot dogging" it in the 2 pictures I've posted that show them blowing bubbles while in the middle of plays, as well?

Good pics, as I've said with Adam and as I will say about those guys, it is instinctual.

Absolutely. Look, I have no problem with the missed ball. The bubble is the issue. It's a "look at me" thing that needs to stop.

No one should be blowing a bubble as they do something requiring that kind of concentration. It's bad baseball. Period.

Rickey Henderson use to flap his glove after he made a catch, that was "look at me". What Jones does is instinctual. I had friends tell me I use to stick my tounge out playing basketball and unlike Jordan I couldn't have dunked on a 9ft rim. People do things without thinking about them.

Archived