Will this be Arrieta's last start if he tanks? (UPDATE: He Tanked- He was optioned)

sevastras

I hope Arrieta never pitches for the Orioles again. He isn't a kid any more. I don't now why the team put him on the roster. I said he should start the season in triple A and stay there at least 3 months and have success for me to give him a chance in the bigs again. He frustrates me too much. He has no clue how to pitch. I would rather see a guy who has bad stuff who knew how to pitch fail than watch Arrieta pitch the way he does.

Just release him. If he has success with another team more power to him. I don't see him ever having that success here. Time to move on.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope Arrieta never pitches for the Orioles again. He isn't a kid any more. I don't now why the team put him on the roster. I said he should start the season in triple A and stay there at least 3 months and have success for me to give him a chance in the bigs again. He frustrates me too much. He has no clue how to pitch. I would rather see a guy who has bad stuff who knew how to pitch fail than watch Arrieta pitch the way he does.

Just release him. If he has success with another team more power to him. I don't see him ever having that success here. Time to move on.

why release him? let him pitch in the minors, hopefully he works things out and impresses and when/if he does throw in a deal. Some team will want his arm and think they can fix him. The arm is undeniable. He needs a change of scenary at this point, trade him to Houston in a package for Altuve. Then 2nd base is covered for years.

There is no one in the minors who really is ready to take his spot. Jurrjens hasn't impressed. Freddy Garcia had one good start and he did nothing as a starter last year. Britton looks to be making progress but he's not there yet. I would just switch Arrieta and McFarland's role for now. Use Arrieta in somewhat low leverage situations for 1-3 innings at a time. At the same time, see if McFarland can shut down a team for 6 innings. I've said it before and I see some others agree with me. Have Jake just work from the stretch for now on. He has to conquer that IF it is mechanics. If it's in his head, you can just hope that he gains some confidence as a reliever. It's worth a shot.

I think they will call up Stinson on Wed. Britton and Steve Johnson are only a good start or two away if needed.

Burnett should get the call today to help in the pen for the next few days.

I think Buck likes McFarland in long relief.

I'm so sick of reading people say that Jake is mentally weak or can't handle pressure. The fact is, he has terrible command, and that's why he has been so bad. All of these armchair psychologists just drive me nuts, and it's just insulting to a player that people don't even know.

Actually his quote today that he is "nearly so good and everyone knows it" proves that he is mentally weak. Only an insecure nutcase makes that statement after the way he pitched today. He took no blame, just said he was almost great.

That's mental gymnastics if I've ever seen it. He has command in one inning and none the next. That's called losing focus and it's all mental. You don't know him either, but we can all read his quotes and they just scream head case.

WHAT????

Jurrjens hasn't impressed? He looked pretty good tonight (error on some runs) and previously. However, he isn't on the 40 man.

Garcia is a veteran. He would be okay. Better chance of winning than Jake, I can tell you that.

Britton has been making progress, but agreed too early. He has been given just as many chances as Jake.

You potentially screw with TJ you could lose him to ineffectiveness. It makes NO sense to mess with TJ. None.

Jake belongs in the minors where he work with Rick Peterson and hope someone trades for him at this point.

Steve Johnson should be the guy, but he isn't quite ready yet (but will be very soon).

Josh Stinson could start as well. He was just claimed and we can see what he has. If he is ineffectiveness, oh well.

Gausman hasn't pitched well his last 2 times out.

We could also use Hunter or Matusz, both better options than Jake at this point. However, see my comments on TJ. Don't mess with a good thing.

To say we have no one in the minors ready is crazy talk. We have a ton of people that can step right in.

I think the hangout should have a new slogan.........

A.B.J.

Anyone but jake.

Give me britton, give me jurrgens, give me Johnson when healthy, heck give me Freddy Garcia.......

But arrieta needs to come down to Norfolk and stay there for at the very least until September call ups. Then bring him up for long relief and mop up duty when rosters expand. He has had 4 years to develop consistency. He never has and likely never will.

We have a competitive team that made the playoffs last year and should continue to be competitive this year. We cannot stomach his demoralizing outings every 5 days any more. We just simply can't do it. The old Orioles who put 14 straight losing seasons together could absolutely afford to wait for jake to eventually "figure it out".

This team, in this division, trying to stay up with the Red Sox and Yankees and ahead of the rays and jays, just simply cannot wait for him any more. Time to send a message.

Arietta should definitely be sent down but the starting rotation has problems beyond him. Tillman has regressed and looks as lost out there as Arietta, and Hammel has looked more like a 4th starter than a number 1. Kyle Loshe for what Milwaukee gave him would look awfully good right now. Hopefully Britton, Johnson and/or Jurrjens can step up.

why release him? let him pitch in the minors, hopefully he works things out and impresses and when/if he does throw in a deal. Some team will want his arm and think they can fix him. The arm is undeniable. He needs a change of scenary at this point, trade him to Houston in a package for Altuve. Then 2nd base is covered for years.

Why should/would Houston give up Altuve for him? Arrieta is a spare part for the Orioles right now. You won't get a major piece for him.

Why should/would Houston give up Altuve for him? Arrieta is a spare part for the Orioles right now. You won't get a major piece for him.

Reason being, Houston will lose 100+ games this year and for likely the next few years. The only legit minor league talent they have is an A ball. Altuve is a very good player not a superstar, the fanbase if thier is one anymore is not going to be upset to see a slap hitting 2nd baseman go for the future. I would toss in Arrietta (from Texas) + other higher rated prospects for him (only untouchables Bundy and Gausman in the organization). Then you fix 2nd base for next 5 years. I dont want to see a revolving door and constant who is going to play 2nd base for this year and the future. I think Schoop is a good prospect, but not a sure a thing. The Astros will lucky to draw 10K fans a game this year. Altuve isnt an Alomar or anything, lets not oversell him, but he is solid and makes the lineup steady and can run. The Orioles are pretty set at position players for the next few years with no minor leaguers taking any of those spots. LF,CF,RF,3b,SS,1b,C only spot is 2b.

Archived