Will this be Arrieta's last start if he tanks? (UPDATE: He Tanked- He was optioned)

sevastras

Reason being, Houston will lose 100+ games this year and for likely the next few years. The only legit minor league talent they have is an A ball. Altuve is a very good player not a superstar, the fanbase if thier is one anymore is not going to be upset to see a slap hitting 2nd baseman go for the future. I would toss in Arrietta (from Texas) + other higher rated prospects for him (only untouchables Bundy and Gausman in the organization). Then you fix 2nd base for next 5 years. I dont want to see a revolving door and constant who is going to play 2nd base for this year and the future. I think Schoop is a good prospect, but not a sure a thing. The Astros will lucky to draw 10K fans a game this year. Altuve isnt an Alomar or anything, lets not oversell him, but he is solid and makes the lineup steady and can run. The Orioles are pretty set at position players for the next few years with no minor leaguers taking any of those spots. LF,CF,RF,3b,SS,1b,C only spot is 2b.

You are willing to give up Schoop for a second baseman with a career 732 OPS? Is it the lack of power that entices you? Altuve is a nice little player (see what I did there?) but he ain't worth giving up Schoop for.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are willing to give up Schoop for a second baseman with a career 732 OPS? Is it the lack of power that entices you? Altuve is a nice little player (see what I did there?) but he ain't worth giving up Schoop for.

You can't get quality for not giving up quality. I agree. But Schoop is just a prospect, not ticketed for stardom. I want to win now. Altuve is a table setter. Plus, you can trade other peices other than Schoop. Ie Delmonico, Hoes, among others. I dont see where Delmonico fits in. The Orioles already have power, they need to more table setters and win games other than just by hitting HR's. If they dont hit HR's they dont win, it's hard to win in vs aces that way or in the postseason. Astros know they arent going to win for years in the AL west.

You can't get quality for not giving up quality. I agree. But Schoop is just a prospect, not ticketed for stardom. I want to win now. Altuve is a table setter. Plus, you can trade other peices other than Schoop. Ie Delmonico, Hoes, among others. I dont see where Delmonico fits in. The Orioles already have power, they need to more table setters and win games other than just by hitting HR's. If they dont hit HR's they dont win, it's hard to win in vs aces that way or in the postseason. Astros know they arent going to win for years in the AL west.

You specifically said anyone other then Bundy and Gausman. That means Schoop is fair game and probably the player the Astros would ask for.

I will take my chances with 6+ years of Schoop over Altuve. You know he isn't going to keep hitting .370 right?

You specifically said anyone other then Bundy and Gausman. That means Schoop is fair game and probably the player the Astros would ask for.

I will take my chances with 6+ years of Schoop over Altuve. You know he isn't going to keep hitting .370 right?

I'd rather take the sure thing in Altuve. Altuve is only 23. He's a career .293 hitter. And someone above knocked his .732 OPS as if that's bad for a young 2B. It's not; that's actually solid for the position. And it's asking a lot to expect Schoop to pan out. I prefer the proven commodity over the additional years of control.

Of course, I'll take both if we can get Altuve from the Astros some other way. There's a case for Schoop but there's a very strong case for Altuve, as well. He makes up for lack of power with contact skills and speed. And there's a very good chance he could improve his OBP/OPS even further over the next few years.

I'd rather take the sure thing in Altuve. Altuve is only 23. He's a career .293 hitter. And some poster knocked his .732 OPS as if that's bad for a young 2B. That's actually solid for the position. And it's asking a lot to expect Schoop to pan out. I prefer the proven commodity over the additional years of control.

Of course, I'll take both if we can get Altuve from the Astros some other way. There's a case for Schoop but there's a very strong case for Altuve, as well.

According to the only die-hard Astros fan I know, Altuve is a terrible fielder at second base.

I agree with you about his offense though. It's pretty respectable for a young second baseman.

I say put Arietta int he bullpen. He is always filthy in the first couple innings and then falls apart. Isn't this a no brainer? He could be the right handed Matusz.

SSS alert but he has a 6.75 ERA with 4 HRs in 13.1 IP in relief. I would rather he learn how to be a bullpen guy at Bowie then Baltimore.

I think he probably is impressed with his size. Though we did need every inch of our six foot fix inch second baseman on Saturday to win a game. As Chevy Chase always said... "How do you measure a man? By his height."

I say put Arietta int he bullpen. He is always filthy in the first couple innings and then falls apart. Isn't this a no brainer? He could be the right handed Matusz.

You cant put him in the pen. He has trouble with pressure situations and does not pitch well from the stretch. I don't want to see him in games that are in the balance. He needs the minors or change of scenary. He isnt a prospect anymore. See what you can get in salvage value.

Most teams have the guy with good stuff who cant figure it out enigma for example....Hughes or Nova.

Reason being, Houston will lose 100+ games this year and for likely the next few years. The only legit minor league talent they have is an A ball. Altuve is a very good player not a superstar, the fanbase if thier is one anymore is not going to be upset to see a slap hitting 2nd baseman go for the future. I would toss in Arrietta (from Texas) + other higher rated prospects for him (only untouchables Bundy and Gausman in the organization). Then you fix 2nd base for next 5 years. I dont want to see a revolving door and constant who is going to play 2nd base for this year and the future. I think Schoop is a good prospect, but not a sure a thing. The Astros will lucky to draw 10K fans a game this year. Altuve isnt an Alomar or anything, lets not oversell him, but he is solid and makes the lineup steady and can run. The Orioles are pretty set at position players for the next few years with no minor leaguers taking any of those spots. LF,CF,RF,3b,SS,1b,C only spot is 2b.

Arrieta is arbitration eligible following this season so he will start costing much more than the minimum.

WHAT????

Jurrjens hasn't impressed? He looked pretty good tonight (error on some runs) and previously. However, he isn't on the 40 man.

Garcia is a veteran. He would be okay. Better chance of winning than Jake, I can tell you that.

Britton has been making progress, but agreed too early. He has been given just as many chances as Jake.

You potentially screw with TJ you could lose him to ineffectiveness. It makes NO sense to mess with TJ. None.

Jake belongs in the minors where he work with Rick Peterson and hope someone trades for him at this point.

Steve Johnson should be the guy, but he isn't quite ready yet (but will be very soon).

Josh Stinson could start as well. He was just claimed and we can see what he has. If he is ineffectiveness, oh well.

Gausman hasn't pitched well his last 2 times out.

We could also use Hunter or Matusz, both better options than Jake at this point. However, see my comments on TJ. Don't mess with a good thing.

To say we have no one in the minors ready is crazy talk. We have a ton of people that can step right in.

Have you actually seen Jurrjens pitch or are you going off the scores? By scouting reports, Gausman has been much better than Jurrjens.

Archived