Will this be Arrieta's last start if he tanks? (UPDATE: He Tanked- He was optioned)

sevastras

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Always funny, if Hammel, Chen or Gonzalez pitched this game the remarks would be not great, but pitched out of trouble, kept the O's in the game giving up only one. Hammels last or perhaps two ago 3 walks, two HBP and many here thought he looked good. With Jake though it was the Rays, still looked lousy. Yada, yada, yada...even in ST, when he had a decent outing it was because he pitched under the lights. It's nice to have a W...give it a rest.

100+ pitches in 5 innings. Way too many walks, and just poor command overall. I doubt we'd be happy with this start from anyone.

He has the potential to be a #3 starter. However, the guy is a mess. He can't hit the target. He gets behind every hitter. He goes 3-0 on the leadoff hitter in every inning it seems. He doesn't look confident on the mound. He faced one of the league's weakest offenses tonight and he had to be lifted after 5 innings and 1 baserunner in the 5th. He did enough to get a win and to help his team get a win. He should have breezed through 7 with that stuff. Against a good team, he doesn't make it to the 5th. He hasn't progressed one iota from start #1 through start #3, tonight. We can keep running him out there but there are no positive signs going forward. Could he find better command as he goes along? Sure but after last year and 3 starts this year, I see no reason to feel that he will.

Agree with this. I think Arrieta has not progressed one iota from his first year with the Os. Same great stuff then as now, still can't command then or now.

I was amazed by the consistency with which he threw a 93 mph fastball for strikes that they couldn't hit. But, when he threw it at 94 or 95, he had no idea where it was going. I'd like to see him back off his fastball to the point where he can command it.

He has the potential to be a #3 starter. However, the guy is a mess. He can't hit the target. He gets behind every hitter. He goes 3-0 on the leadoff hitter in every inning it seems. He doesn't look confident on the mound. He faced one of the league's weakest offenses tonight and he had to be lifted after 5 innings and 1 baserunner in the 5th. He did enough to get a win and to help his team get a win. He should have breezed through 7 with that stuff. Against a good team, he doesn't make it to the 5th. He hasn't progressed one iota from start #1 through start #3, tonight. We can keep running him out there but there are no positive signs going forward. Could he find better command as he goes along? Sure but after last year and 3 starts this year, I see no reason to feel that he will.

Exactly how I feel.

It's not about the end result tonight with jake because frankly, that just won't be there all the time. Better hitting teams would have knocked him around big time tonight.

It's about the process with jake, and tonight and most of the time this season, his process has stink. Falling behind hitter after hitter, walking guys with two outs and failing to close out innings, failing to locate over and over and over again. Jake was effectively wild tonight, but that just isn't going to keep happening and right now, there is no real reason to think that he's going to magically put it all togeither.

He's far too erratic, can never consistently locate from inning to inning, much less game to game and has no killer instinct whatsoever. In my honest opinion, he's one of the worst pitchers in baseball at finishing innings off after getting 2 outs. I don't have the data to support or deny this claim, it's just a gut feeling. He can't ever get out consecutive innings cleanly ir efficiently and because of that he most likely will never become the guy we all want him to be. He has the skills, he just doesn't have the ability to harness those skills effectively.

I really get tired of hearing about how great his stuff is. It may well be, but I would much rather watch Steve Johnson pitch.

I wouldn't and I still don't get the love for Steve Johnson. Once the league figures him out or he slips in location just a little bit he done like Brad B before. I for one would rather try to trade Steve Johnson but his value is zilch.

You just can't give up on Arrieta especially when he can get outs with Ks when he's working things out on the mound (and in his head). It's not a quality win but a win giving up 1 run none the less. Lets hope he can command a little better each time out.

What do we expect from a 5th starter anyway?

Of course not because then we would just be average and we don't want to be that.

At least give me Jake's ceiling is much higher than a 5th starter.

I guess I'm still bullish on Jake. It will take a lot for me to sell.

Actually, he's got about 5 pitches and can't command any of them.

He's just not a starter and to me, he looks like a bit of a mental midget out there when things get hairy.

He's like the Mike Hargrove of pitching, fiddling with his jersey, the bill of his hat, his pants, etc... get the guy some Adderall.

Archived