We seriously need to consider another closer at this point

AlbionHero

Why don't coaches pitch to match ups in the ninth like they do with the rest of the game? Why does a team need to have one guy come in to close the game? If that pitcher is supposedly your best bullpen arm wouldn't it be better if he came in while there are runners on base than in a bases empty situation? Why do coaches tend to not pull a closer out of the game when they are clearly struggling?

In my opinion as saber metrics continue to grow in popularity the closer role will disappear.

I think this was the most intellligent post of this whole thread.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why don't coaches pitch to match ups in the ninth like they do with the rest of the game? Why does a team need to have one guy come in to close the game? If that pitcher is supposedly your best bullpen arm wouldn't it be better if he came in while there are runners on base than in a bases empty situation? Why do coaches tend to not pull a closer out of the game when they are clearly struggling?

Occasionally they do. Just today, Terry Francona of the Indians pulled his closer, Chris Perez, in the 9th. He'd given up 2 runs and was pulled with two outs with the tying and winning runs aboard.

It didn't work in that instance. His replacement, Joe Smith, gave up a walkoff two-run double.

SMH. I clearly said all managers make bad calls. This turned out to be one of them.

Bad calls do not mean a guy should be fired blah blah blah

Buck gets it right a hell of lot more than he is wrong. If you cant see that then its you who is ignoring the reality in front of your face not me

Where did I saw buck should be fired in that post?

Sweet straw man argument, very well done!

Much like buck, you are very good at ignoring reality.

Occasionally they do. Just today, Terry Francona of the Indians pulled his closer, Chris Perez, in the 9th. He'd given up 2 runs and was pulled with two outs with the tying and winning runs aboard.

It didn't work in that instance. His replacement, Joe Smith, gave up a walkoff two-run double.

That's not correct - at least the implication that Perez was pulled early due to poor performance. Perez was only pulled because of an injury.

That's not correct - at least the implication that Perez was pulled early due to poor performance. Perez was only pulled because of an injury.

D'oh. Thanks for the correction.

So Perez has an excuse for his blowup. Now, we need to figure out Johnson's.

JJ absolutely should have gotten the ball in the 9th. He was outstanding yesterday. But it was clear from his first batter that Johnson didn't have his good stuff today. When he's right, he's throwing his sinker at the knees at 94 for strikes on the corners. When he's off, he falls behind with his sinker, can't throw anything offspeed for strikes and is forced to throw four seamers to get them over, which are very hittable.

I blame JJ for the loss but I also blame Buck. True, he didn't have any good options once he decided that O'Day needed a day off, but it was obvious early in the inning that JJ didn't have his good stuff. Anyone would have been a better choice--even Patton or TJ.

Sorry this loss is not on Buck. Neither are any of the other JJ meltdowns. Toronto had 2 runs in 8 innings, then score 4 in the 9th off JJ. He was TERRIBLE. Buck tries to keep giving him a chance, which he should, and JJ keeps blowing it. This loss is not on Buck what so ever, stop trying to deflect blame off JJ. He has been just absolutely awful and has been pathetic lately. He's the worst closer in the MLB right now AINEC. Yeah, he's worse than Rodney.

Buck seems to be in major denial judging by his post game comments. Why is he not seeing the same thing as everyone else re: Johnson?

Of course Buck is seeing the same thing as everyone else. The difference is that he's the manager. He can't just throw his players under the bus or complain about how terrible they are like fans can. Not unless he wants a full-scale player revolt.

At what cost? Buck lost his job in New York, Arizona, and Texas. I love Buck and I hope that doesn't happen here, but he's not God. He can mistakes too. Big picture, yes, I get it. But, shaking things up now and putting Johnson in less pressurized situations so he find his curveball can help us down the road, as well. Hypothetically, would you feel comfortable pitching Johnson in Game 1 of the ALCS right now? Honestly?

Exactly. Buck was a great manager last year. He pushed nearly all the right buttons. That's probably why we went 29-9 in one run games. He was on fire.

This year he's been pretty average to below average, Despite our +.500 record.

He's cost us games by leaving guys in and failing to get guys up in time or just flat out letting them die on the vine like Johnson.

Strop, jj and Patton have all fallen completely apart. I don't blame showalter for that, but I do blame him for failing to notice it fast enough to save us from losing some very winnable games.

The guy isn't perfect, and some of you take any criticism at all of him very very personally. Frankly I don't understand why it's ok to criticize players but not buck.

Johnson couldn't take himself out of the game. That's what buck is paid to do, make tough decisions and gut calls.

So far, this year, he's been pretty bad when it counted the most. That's reality, whether you choose to accept it or not.

You don't think they've already tried to figure it out?

If you don't see any great candidates in the bullpen to close, you're blind. O'Day and Hunter both have ERA's under 2.00 pitching in some high-leverage situations (O'Day much more so than Hunter).

It's perfectly fine to use either to close for a few series while Johnson works on his issues in low-leverage situations. Expecting him to work it out by trotting him out there in save situations any time soon is foolish and puts the team at risk for more losses.

The closer is not always the most important arm in the bullpen. O'Day is more valuable in a setup role. I'm not buying Hunter's ERA to this point in the season either.

Buck seems to be in major denial judging by his post game comments. Why is he not seeing the same thing as everyone else re: Johnson?

Buck has to be a psychologist, as well as, manager. He's got to say all the right things when it comes to Johnson as too not damage his fragile psyche. That is, if you believe in all that junk.

@EddieintheYard

Jim Johnson: "Thats not the way we want it to happen. We should be getting on the plane w/ 3 wins here, but I can’t hang my head too long."

While I appreciate the positive tone, he's said something similar after every blown save.

Archived