Jose Bautista is about to pass Markakis (Update: Bautista passed Markakis)

McLovin

You really want to vote for a RF with a .745 OPS? Is the AL outfield crop that weak this year? Is this some kind of lifetime achievement award. I have nothing against voting for your hometown players when it's close but I have a hard time believing there aren't at least 3-5 more deserving outfielders. Do we have to make a mockery of the voting?

No offense RZ... but F that!

I. Vote. Orange.

Period.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Surprisingly, to me, Jose Bautista actually slipped a little bit. He fell back to fifth and Tori Hunter moved back to 4th place. I thought for sure Bautista was going to pass up Nick but now Hunter is as close as Bautista was the week before. One more week left. Deserving or not, at this point with the vote having gone this far and with him still in a spot, I just want Nick to make it.

For the record though, I'm a person who made peace with the fact that the All-Star game is the fan's game years ago. I no longer worry about players who are more deserving not being voted in by the fans.

Where did you find this?

It's a fan vote. If they wanted to have the best players on the field, they'd just have the best guys take the field based on statistics and WAR and all of that. But they don't. And that's because the fans watch to see the players they want to see play.

I wish they didn't make it about home field advantage, because I think that's just lame and contrived. And distracts from the game.

That said, I voted for Nick. I voted Orange except DH and 2B. Roberts only played 3 games and I still like Mark Reynolds (even though I agreed with the decision to let him walk). But otherwise, yeah I voted for Nick.

I get the concept that fans vote in some wrong guys each year, but with roster expansion to 33-34 guys, you still get 25 deserving guys to go. So I'm cool with that. I'd imagine seven OFers make the team. I think Nick has a fighting argument that he should be one of those seven, IMO.

Thanks, I'd appreciated it.

No luck. The latest online updates are from 6/22. However that update has Bautista 4th and Hunter 5th. I saw Rizzo late last night on MLB Network give an update that still had Markakis in 3rd with Hunter now in the 4th spot and Bautista now in 5th. And, like I said before, Hunter was now as close, or closer, to Nick as Bautista was on the 6/22 update.

The only way I'm wrong about this is if I was watching an older video (from at least 2 weeks ago) on MLB.com and was not actually watching a live update on MLB Network and now, because it was so late last night coupled with me getting old :) I'm all mixed up. I hope that's not the case.

Where did you find this?

Looks like I was wrong. Bautista has jumped ahead of Markakis. Just saw it on MLB Network where the Jays/Tigers game is about to start. Don't know what it was that I was watching the other day. It must have been an old video and I didn't realize it. In fact, I misremembered and thought I had watched it on TV.

Sorry for the confusion. :( I realize the voting is not done yet but Bautista moving ahead of Nick seemed inevitable.

Archived