Sorry, but the Home Run Derby is a Bore

Frobby

I have had similar thoughts. They should make this Monday a "field day" like in elementary school. You could have stations for outfield assists, one for pitch framing, another for first to third speed, etc. I suppose logistics would be a problem. Maybe they could find a nearby municipal sport complex with like 10 fields.

You can do a full workout of 200 kids in under two hours not including BP. You could definitely do everything on one field. I think the injury risk is what concerns teams. You'd have to run events with low likelihood (like almost impossible) of injury.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can do a full workout of 200 kids in under two hours not including BP. You could definitely do everything on one field. I think the injury risk is what concerns teams. You'd have to run events with low likelihood (like almost impossible) of injury.

I think injury risk killed this type of thing. They did things like this in the past, and I'm pretty sure someone got hurt, but don't remember the details. There is no zero risk, so there is no field day. Even if someone pulled a hammy doing a timed run to first base they'd kill the whole thing.

As the stakes get higher anything not related to the primary objective of winning baseball games and making money gets killed. The only way field day comes back is if it draws a 34 share TV rating, and to do that you'd have to have one of the events involve Alyssa Milano mud wrestling.

Will Derek Sanderson Jeter be the first unanimous [Hall of Fame] selection?

What a terrifying thought. By the way, he does deserve to be elected unanimously, just like about 50 guys before him. But hopefully, he won't be the first. That would sicken me.

I don't mind if Jeter gets a big sendoff tonight. Fine with me. I'd just like the Yankees to finish the year with a losing record, so that he can experience that, just once.

Watched most of the first round last night, only to be reminded that I don't like how long it goes and I can't stand Berman. How many times before you absolutely hate it when he yells into a live microphone that a ball is going to (fill in the name of a suburb of current host city)?

One cool thing I noticed was that during the rain delay, the boards at Target Field were showing episodes of the TV show, I think I saw one of the Mantle episodes being shown when the camera had a wide shot of the ballpark.

I think they should take everyone in the majors with zero home runs in 100+ PAs and put them in a pre-All Star home run derby with juiced balls (Bud Selig reaction: "Juiced balls? I don't know what that is. We would have no idea how to do that.") Or better, have the zero-homer real position players have a home run contest against a team of (relatively) good-hitting pitchers.

And follow that with a bunting competition between the top 10 home run hitters of the first half.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Selig on length of Home Run Derby: "Television wants a three-hour program."</p>— Bill Brink (@BrinkPG) <a href="

">July 15, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Selig on length of Home Run Derby: "Television wants a three-hour program."</p>— Bill Brink (@BrinkPG) <a href="
">July 15, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Make it a team competition with stipulations for the first half 90 minutes. Pick two players for the oppo home run round. Two players for the CF home run round. Two players for the pull side award. Two for "free for all". Last 90 minutes do an abbreviated individual competition.

I stayed till after Adam was eliminated. Little while after just as background noise to the internet. Switched back to the Food Network before it was over. *yawn*

Yeah the same here. I fell asleep and didn't see who won until this morning. And for as much as I hate Chris Berman, he seemed like he was barely paying attention to the derby. Him and Kruk were just having side conversations the whole time.

Yeah the same here. I fell asleep and didn't see who won until this morning. And for as much as I hate Chris Berman, he seemed like he was barely paying attention to the derby. Him and Kruk were just having side conversations the whole time.

Berman is bad enough. Just on GPs... team him with Kruk and you have a recipe for disaster.

It was worth it....YO sabe....

BsjiZagCQAAbN1H.jpg

When I first saw you post/photo this afternoon, I though that that was Adam Jones holding up his championship belt for winning the 2014 Home Run Derby.

I didn't watch it, so I had no idea who had won, hence my presumption.

When I first saw you post/photo this afternoon, I though that that was Adam Jones holding up his championship belt for winning the 2014 Home Run Derby.

I didn't watch it, so I had no idea who had won, hence my presumption.

Haha Yo knows....AJ planned this special presentation.....

Archived