The Orioles have acquired Francisco Rodriguez for Nick Delmonico.

Greg

Do you like the Francisco Rodriguez trade?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Francisco Rodriguez trade?

Why don't we wait and see whether or not K-Rod is going to pull Mike DeJean on us? I'm not confident he will be the shut down guy he used to be.

Because Mike DeJean never had top major league pedigree.

That's like saying, "we shouldn't acquire Andrew McCutchen in a trade because he might turn out like Luis Matos."

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because Mike DeJean never had top major league pedigree.

That's like saying, "we shouldn't acquire Andrew McCutchen in a trade because he might turn out like Luis Matos."

That's what's letting me keep Steve Kline out of my thoughts.

No I mean the two guys we traded for Saunders last year whose names I can't remember. There was a large group of people who were upset that we gave up those guys.

There is always a group of people who think it's completely tlrational to give up no name players for value.

Brian Roberts cheated, doesn't that qualify as a "character issue"?

Less of a character issue than, say, losing your season because you tear a ligament in your thumb while you're assaulting your father-in-law (2010). Or punching and kicking the mother of your child ALLEGEDLY in 2012.

Yeah, I'd much rather have a cheater that keeps his nose clean off the field over a woman-beater who keeps his nose clean on the field.

No I mean the two guys we traded for Saunders last year whose names I can't remember. There was a large group of props who were upset that we gave up those guys.

There is always a group of people who think it's completely tlrational to give up no name players for value.

We gave up Lindstrom and PTBNL (which became cash considerations). Not too many people minded giving up Lindstrom but they were concerned the PTBNL would be a decent prospect.

Buck loves DoD... I think he likes Hunter too... he definitely has some strong loyalty towards Johnson. He cares about the health of these guys going forward and has voiced concerns about the overwork his bullpen has experienced so far.

Enter Francisco Rodriguez. Here comes a veteran arm having a great season whose contract is up after the postseason. Buck isn't going to care how much K-Rod pitches. Clutch situations, garbage time, 1 quick out in the 8th following a lefty... K-Rod will see them all... and frequently.

I very much applaud this trade. As others have said, it signals that this team is trying to win now and not unreasonably attached to a mediocre prospect.

A couple of general thoughts, one of which relates to the post above.

First, many were high on Delmonico because of his power and discipline. Others, particularly last year, were down on him because the approach seemed to be there, but the production wasn't. Then April came, and Delmonico went off. Unfortunately, he hasn't maintained his production. His average dipped in May, but he still put up a nice OPS. Both metrics further declined in June and have tanked so far in July. Add that has positional value seems to be nil, and I'm not sure what type of prospect you have. He's not particularly young either. Trading Delmonico isn't w/o risk, but the perception today is much different then it would have been on, say, May 15. This brings me to...

Second, good organizations sell high. I'm happy with DD churning talent as long as it's the talent we want to churn. Delmonico may have been expendable because of Chris Davis, or maybe it's because we don't value him as much as the rest of industry. I'm hoping it's the latter. If it's the former, my third point is almost certainly true.

Third, I agree that KRod will be heavily used, but I'm not sure I agree with the note above. It could be exactly how things go down, but I absolutely believe that the O's have a short leash on JJ, and they're probably worried about Hunter. It wouldn't shock me to see KRod closing games in August and beyond. This move allows Buck to have options, whereas last year he was sort of stuck aside from O'Day.

I generally like this trade. I readily admit that Delmonico could blossom into a Billy Butler type of hitter, but I don't think the probabilities are high. With a stable bullpen, the O's might just have the best record in baseball. This move fills a weakness for a B or B- prospect who is probably no better than our #6 or #7 in the eyes of DD. I'm ok with that.

I love this trade. We fortify the back end of the bullpen, keep Rodriguez away from the competition, increase the value of any of the right handed relief we might trade in turn, and assuming we don't flip him, drop Hunter into the 6th-7th inning slot in which he appears much more comfortable. Okay, so he has some anger management and machatunim issues. Its what you do in a pennant race.

WL

My main hesitation about this trade is that we only get 2 months of KRod. But I do think we had a need with Strop gone, Hunter looking shaky lately and Asencio not up to the task. I like Delmonico's bat, but his glove and health were questionable. Overall, I'm okay with it, so long as KRod does the job well.

I love this trade. We fortify the back end of the bullpen, keep Rodriguez away from the competition, increase the value of any of the right handed relief we might trade in turn, and assuming we don't flip him, drop Hunter into the 6th-7th inning slot in which he appears much more comfortable. Okay, so he has some anger management and machatunim issues. Its what you do in a pennant race.

WL

There's a difference between "some anger management issues" and beating the crap out of a woman. But semantics aside, IF he can be the pitcher he was this year and in 2011, he's an upgrade and a fairly significant one on the field. IF he's the same pitcher he was in 2012 (2-7, 4.38 ERA, 72 Ks, 31 BB, 1.33 WHIP), we just lit Nick Delmonico on fire for a warm body in the bullpen.

Archived