The Orioles have acquired Francisco Rodriguez for Nick Delmonico.

Greg

Do you like the Francisco Rodriguez trade?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Francisco Rodriguez trade?

Somebody posted that he's never been convicted of hitting a woman. That is true. But with an explanation.

He was charged with hitting a new girlfriend 9 months ago; a girlfriend who was the mother of his child. But the charges had to be dropped because the girlfriend and their housekeeper (who witnessed the assault) departed for Venezuela before the trial began and they never returned.

I think it was a bad move and sends a bad signal. Bottom line is that Rodriguez is a woman beating thug. But now he's on the Orioles and as long as he pitches well and keeps his hands to himself, just root for the laundry. After all, it's all about winning, right?

The girlfriend denied it happened before departing.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/waukesha/former-brewers-pitcher-charged-with-domestic-violence-uv7f0b8-176828861.html The truth is - we don't know what happened.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The girlfriend denied it happened before departing.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/waukesha/former-brewers-pitcher-charged-with-domestic-violence-uv7f0b8-176828861.html The truth is - we don't know what happened.

You know he's guilty and you must prove innocence :rolleyes: some alteration happened for sure. Either way I don't really care...lets hope he doesn't have any other run ins.

Everyone complaining about trading 6 years of service time for 20 innings is getting way ahead of themselves. Odds are Delmonico never even sees 20 innings in the majors, much less six years. Odds are even greater that those 20 innings he spends provides less value than the 20 innings we get from K-Rod.

He is a prospect with significant flaws who is holding his own in A+ ball - a long way to go until the majors. If he ever does make the majors in the next 3-5 years, we should have already replaced him with 2-3 other similar players.

I agree with Law 100%.

Even leveraged, giving up six years of Delmonico doesn't seem worth ~20 IP from a pitcher who's been getting away with moxie (his FB velo and CH differential have diminished since he was elite), an unsustainable LOB% (99% this year), and unsustainable HR/FB ratios that could turn ugly given his huge flyball tendencies this year.

They may well squeeze out ~20 decently leveraged innings from him this year, which is why the trade isn't abysmal.

But I think it's hard to see how this is inaccurate:

BP wrote this.

Rodriguez did show in 25 innings that he can still contribute in the majors. His fastball sits in the low 90s and he uses two secondary offerings, a changeup and curveball, to keep hitters honest. The changeup is worth watching in particular, since he's willing to use it as an out pitch against right-handers. While Rodriguez is unlikely to keep his ERA this shiny moving forward, he does set off a chain reaction in the O's bullpen. His arrival means Buck Showalter can use Rodriguez, Darren O'Day, or Tommy Hunter in the sixth inning if needed; it also bumps a lesser reliever from the totem pole.

Adding Rodriguez won't be the flashiest move of the deadline, but it will improve the Orioles.

]Everyone complaining about trading 6 years of service time for 20 innings is getting way ahead of themselves.[/b] Odds are Delmonico never even sees 20 innings in the majors' date=' much less six years. Odds are even greater that those 20 innings he spends provides less value than the 20 innings we get from K-Rod.

He is a prospect with significant flaws who is holding his own in A+ ball - a long way to go until the majors. If he ever does make the majors in the next 3-5 years, we should have already replaced him with 2-3 other similar players.[/quote']

Agreed. We're not talking about player on the cusp of the major leagues or a sure fire guy like Bundy or Gausman. We're talking about 21-year old in A-ball who is defensive liability, gets pull-happy, has injury concerns, and who has some miss in his bat.

Delmonico was a mid-level prospect. He may have a major league future as a first baseman or DH or perhaps they try him out in the outfield and it works. When you acquire talent, you have to give up some potential talent. In this case, I think it was worth the gamble.

Agreed. We're not talking about player on the cusp of the major leagues or a sure fire guy like Bundy or Gausman. We're talking about 21-year old in A-ball who is defensive liability, gets pull-happy, has injury concerns, and who has some miss in his bat.

Delmonico was a mid-level prospect. He may have a major league future as a first baseman or DH or perhaps they try him out in the outfield and it works. When you acquire talent, you have to give up some potential talent. In this case, I think it was worth the gamble.

I agree with this. I don't have a problem with trading some prospects for someone who can help us win this season and I'm glad that this move signals that we are "going for it." I have other issues with K-Rod but I do think this is the type of move that makes sense for this team at this time.

Nick Delmonico will probably not have the value of Smoltz or Bagwell (or, heck, Chris Hoiles who the Tigers traded down the stretch in '88 for an even more futile run), but some of these deadline deals end up spectacularly bad for the contender.

Really? The Orioles fifth best prospect probably will not be as valuable as two borderline Hall of Famers? Well knock me over with a feather :).

I think Reimold is a good comp for Delmonico.

Archived