The Orioles have acquired Francisco Rodriguez for Nick Delmonico.

Greg

Do you like the Francisco Rodriguez trade?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Francisco Rodriguez trade?

I'm glad the O's made the trade. Delmonico might have been a utility/platoon player for the O's in 3 years. Looking forward to the O's having another solid arm in the pen to turn to instead of Matusz and Patton. A dominant reliever is often the difference between success and failure in the playoffs.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I find funny about reading the comments in this thread. People beotch and moan about the O's inabiiity to develop their own players. They also complain about the fact they never trade a prospect to help the team. How many threads every week about how about this trade or we should trade this player while his value is high. I swear half this board wants us to trade the farm Lee, and half of those would be here complaining they gave up to much. Some of you are/will NEVER BE HAPPY! Maybe that's why you come here.

Sweaty Freddie comes no where close to being as effective as KRod. We just added strength to the bullpen. It's time to try and win THIS year.

Or maybe we just traded Delmonico for the next Mike Gonzalez.

The difference between Garcia and Rodriguez over the rest of the season is almost definitely less than a win. Is giving up Delmonico worth ~.5 WAR to you?

Or maybe we just traded Delmonico for the next Mike Gonzalez.

The difference between Garcia and Rodriguez over the rest of the season is almost definitely less than a win. Is giving up Delmonico worth ~.5 WAR to you?

I'll wait and see if they make the playoffs before passing final verdict.

I do have to laugh at people who previously said that the O's have no significant prospects after Schoop are criticizing this trade. You can't have it both ways - except when you're on an internet message board.

I do have to laugh at people who previously said that the O's have no significant prospects after Schoop are criticizing this trade. You can't have it both ways - except when you're on an internet message board.

Strawman.

1. The Orioles' farm system is more developed than it was when people were talking how thing our cupboard is after Schoop. Ed Rodriguez being exhibit number one.

2. No one is arguing Delmonico is a "significant" prospect, but he does have some potential, even if his likelihood of reaching that potential is not very high.

Somebody posted that he's never been convicted of hitting a woman. That is true. But with an explanation.

He was charged with hitting a new girlfriend 9 months ago; a girlfriend who was the mother of his child. But the charges had to be dropped because the girlfriend and their housekeeper (who witnessed the assault) departed for Venezuela before the trial began and they never returned.

I think it was a bad move and sends a bad signal. Bottom line is that Rodriguez is a woman beating thug. But now he's on the Orioles and as long as he pitches well and keeps his hands to himself, just root for the laundry. After all, it's all about winning, right?

I think this is a great deal for the O's. Fans have to learn to think like contenders again. The Orioles are no longer playing only for the future. If Delmonico becomes a superstar in Milwaukee, so be it. Them's the breaks.

Now if only JJ reverts to 2012 form, this team will go places.

I have been a HUGE fan of Delmonico. I'm going to think like a winner though. If K-Rod is a huge bonus for us then I'm okay with this. If K-Rod blows up and Delmonico plays well then 5-10 years from now we may regret this trade. At this time I'm going to be excited about adding another piece to help us get to where we want to be. We really needed another righty in the bullpen.

Somebody posted that he's never been convicted of hitting a woman. That is true. But with an explanation.

He was charged with hitting a new girlfriend 9 months ago; a girlfriend who was the mother of his child. But the charges had to be dropped because the girlfriend and their housekeeper (who witnessed the assault) departed for Venezuela before the trial began and they never returned.

I think it was a bad move and sends a bad signal. Bottom line is that Rodriguez is a woman beating thug. But now he's on the Orioles and as long as he pitches well and keeps his hands to himself, just root for the laundry. After all, it's all about winning, right?

We are trying to win baseball games! This is not the chess club or the Catholic boys choir. Is Francisco a model citizen? No ..... But the overreactions here are ridiculous.

I think this is a great deal for the O's. Fans have to learn to think like contenders again. The Orioles are no longer playing only for the future. If Delmonico becomes a superstar in Milwaukee, so be it. Them's the breaks.

Now if only JJ reverts to 2012 form, this team will go places.

This isn't a binary thing. It's not that you have to trade a prospect for 20 innings of a reliever or you never win the World Series. I'm not sure all Tiger fans are thrilled they gave up John Smoltz' entire career to make a failed run in '87, and they had Doyle Alexander for 79 starts and 500 innings. Nick Delmonico will probably not have the value of Smoltz or Bagwell (or, heck, Chris Hoiles who the Tigers traded down the stretch in '88 for an even more futile run), but some of these deadline deals end up spectacularly bad for the contender.

Strawman.

1. The Orioles' farm system is more developed than it was when people were talking how thing our cupboard is after Schoop. Ed Rodriguez being exhibit number one.

2. No one is arguing Delmonico is a "significant" prospect, but he does have some potential, even if his likelihood of reaching that potential is not very high.

Holy double-speak, Scratman. Either you've given the word "significant" a meaning not perscribed by the Webster clan, or you're talking out of both sides of your mouth.

We are trying to win baseball games! This is not the chess club or the Catholic boys choir. Is Francisco a model citizen? No ..... But the overreactions here are ridiculous.

Of course. Trying to win games makes it all the more easy to swallow. Wink and look the other way.

So why do I have the feeling that if he had been signed by the Yankees this board would be bursting with posts condemning the move? Things like, "yeah! Just what the Yankees need; a woman beater. He'll fit right in with the drug users and cheaters they have over there". But he's now on the Orioles so it's no big deal.

You like the deal. I don't.

I agree with Law 100%.

Even leveraged, giving up six years of Delmonico doesn't seem worth ~20 IP from a pitcher who's been getting away with moxie (his FB velo and CH differential have diminished since he was elite), an unsustainable LOB% (99% this year), and unsustainable HR/FB ratios that could turn ugly given his huge flyball tendencies this year.

They may well squeeze out ~20 decently leveraged innings from him this year, which is why the trade isn't abysmal.

But I think it's hard to see how this is inaccurate:

I hate to say that I kind of agree with Law b/c he's a smarmy yada-da... but he's right. This is a gamble. I'm not sure 20-30 innings of K-Rod is worth a possible 6 years of service time from Delmonico.

It's a gamble. Not a fan of trading decent prospects for relief pitchers.

I agree with Law 100%.

Even leveraged, giving up six years of Delmonico doesn't seem worth ~20 IP from a pitcher who's been getting away with moxie (his FB velo and CH differential have diminished since he was elite), an unsustainable LOB% (99% this year), and unsustainable HR/FB ratios that could turn ugly given his huge flyball tendencies this year.

They may well squeeze out ~20 decently leveraged innings from him this year, which is why the trade isn't abysmal.

But I think it's hard to see how this is inaccurate:

That was my initial reaction. It's certainly a risk, and I would have been more comfortable moving Walker. This really comes down to scouting, and how much trust DD puts in his guys. Delmonico could be one of those borderline guys, he could be Tyler Townsend, or he could be a legit ML'er. The other side of this, is that he could have been used to obtain a better player than KRod. Maybe not this year, but possibly down the road.

That said, RH RP is our second biggest need IMO, and we seemed to have solved that. With JJ, O'Day, Hunter and KRod we should be able to put the hot arm in the right situation.

That's a ridiculous LOB%. Wow.

Archived