The Orioles have acquired Francisco Rodriguez for Nick Delmonico.

Greg

Do you like the Francisco Rodriguez trade?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Francisco Rodriguez trade?

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

K-Rod was probably the best RH set-up man avaliable on the market. He's someone who can produce at the level that Strop produced at for most of last season. This instantly makes our bullpen much better.

I think Delmonico is a promising hitter, but will probably wind up at 1B, and we're pretty set there for the foreseeable future. We have other promising 1B/DH types in the system, including Walker and (I think ultimately) Ohlman.

The one thing I'm not crazy about is that Buck is apparently going to go to an 8 man bullpen. I would rather keep another bat on the bench and send Ascensio back down.

In hindsight, not signing Koji looks terrible (Rodriguez is making $8M this year).

Not a fan of trading the organization's 2nd-best hitting prospect for 2 months of above-average middle relief.

I was not a fan of this deal when I heard of it, because I was looking forward to Nick Delmonico playing in Baltimore. I suspect he'll contribute at the MLB level, based on the little bit that I've been following about him. Also, we have now seen the value of developing position players as well as pitchers. I am not a fan of the MacPhail-era "grow the arms, buy the bats" philosophy.

Oddly, we've been "drafting pitching" since forever, yet approximately 100% of our rotation came from other organizations. I guess you could count Gonzo as an Orioles product.

So... at first I was not okay with this deal. But... BUT... I'm somehow okay with it the more I think about it, because I think our first priority should always be to win the AL East, every year. Not just 5 years from now... So rock on, DD. Let's fill in these roster holes and make a run for it.

Next up I would hope for some DH help, if possible. Or one more starter. Now I'm just kidding myself. :D

So we sell-low on one of our most interesting hitting prospects and get half a season of an inconsistent relief pitcher with well-documented attitude problems. The downside of being a contender I suppose, having to endure these silly games of keep-away to block other teams from getting better.

JD: the rumored deal with the Yankees had the Cubs absorbing the whole contract just to get a "b" prospect, no joke. Imagine if we absorbed some of that, probably wouldn't have to give up much.

I still wouldn't really be into it. But that's just because someone's going to get stuck with a 38-year old Soriano that has an OPS of like, .650. And I'd prefer it not be us.

Keith Law hates this trade for the Orioles. Must be a good deal.

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 1h

Dan Duquette does great job in out maneuvering the competition in landing K-Rod for O's #impressive

Peter Gammons ‏@pgammo 2h

KRod will not be intimidated by a pennant race. Huge Oriole pickup, keeping him from Red Sox

Scott Miller ‏@ScottMCBS 3h

The Orioles acquire closer Francisco Rodriguez from the Brewers for INF Nick Delmonico. Good move, O's

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 3h

Big move by #Orioles: Acquire K-Rod from #Brewers for IF Nick Delmonico.

I agree with him. First and foremost, I'm going to have a lot of trouble rooting for Francisco Rodriguez. Then of course there's the fact that we gave up one of our best prospects. He may have struggled with injuries so far, but then so did Miguel Gonzalez. The Orioles are not the sort of team that can afford to be loose with resources.

Why not just convert Sweaty Freddy back into a reliever? Is the likely gap in performance significant enough to give up a talent like Delmonico? I don't think so.

That's not to say I think the trade is a travesty and hopefully Rodriguez and DD prove me wrong, but I don't think this was a particularly savvy move. Strop/Arrieta for Feldman was a movie that absolutely needed to be made, but this one--I'm not so sure.

I'm betting Keith Law knows more about Delmonico than Rosenthal, Gammons, Bowden or Miller. What will K-Rod's role be? I am not a big fan of this trade either.

Archived