NOW you can complain about the situational hitting

Frobby

Is Chris Davis not allowed a slump? For every other player comments in this thread and others would be met with the cautious reply of, "Relax, all players have their ups and downs, he's just slumping", yet with Chris Davis that seems nowhere to be found.

I wish all of our players' slumps looked like CD's last 5 games.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty sure they did in Texas... Yeah. They definitely did.

Oh my god. No they didn't. The first game against Texas, they had the bases loaded once with two outs. The second game against Texas, they had the bases loaded with one out and stranded the runners, but that was after they had already scored twice that inning. They also loaded the bases twice the following inning of that game with no outs and scored three runs on successive hits. In the third game against Texas they loaded the bases with no outs and scored before stranding the runners.

Please stop with this already.

Now that I've slept on this....it's worth pointing out that KC stranded 10 runners last night. It's very disappointing that we didn't cash in Jones in the 9th, but this definitely didn't feel like a game that we should have won except for poor execution in one key situation. We were lucky to even be in the game.

Now that I've slept on this....it's worth pointing out that KC stranded 10 runners last night. It's very disappointing that we didn't cash in Jones in the 9th, but this definitely didn't feel like a game that we should have won except for poor execution in one key situation. We were lucky to even be in the game.

It really was not a close game, and it ended up that we almost pulled it out. Good teams occasionally need to win those games, and I am still sad we did not.

The bolded is simply incorrect. When you're calculating the chances of succeeding the first time OR the second time, you multiply the chances of failure and subtract from 1.

What you're calculating is the chances of succeeding the first time AND the second time.

My head is exploding lol!

I have to say this again. This is not football. ! game will not make or break our season, series' do. This football mentality is ridiculous.

We win 6 in a row and someone starts a thread asking if we're the best team in baseball. We lose 1, and now all of our batters are terrible and we have to change our hitting approach.

I guess 14 years of losing erased our memories of how this game actually works.

I have to say this again. This is not football. ! game will not make or break our season, series' do. This football mentality is ridiculous.

We win 6 in a row and someone starts a thread asking if we're the best team in baseball. We lose 1, and now all of our batters are terrible and we have to change our hitting approach.

I must have missed the posts in this thread that said this one game would make or break our season.

I know plenty about baseball and he's almost right. With the tying run in the 9th on 3rd with 0 outs, there really isn't an excuse for not getting that runner in. There are multiple options.
Sorry but IMO, if you can't score in that situation you should be embarrassed. Oh, and its different if it happens every once in a while, but its happened about 5x the past 5 games.

Do you guys know each other? You seem to have similar screen names and opinions.

I must have missed the posts in this thread that said this one game would make or break our season.

I think it's more the tone of the posts than someone literally stating it.

I didn't watch the last 3 innings and I'm so friggin' happy I didn't b/c I would probably be in a much worse mood this morning. As it stands, I'm peachy other than having to had watch them flail away at the Bruce Chen Joke of the Day for 18 outs.

I think posters like Jonesy would do themselves a huge favor by just tuning out after games like that get to the 6th - 7th inning. I remember last year, late in the year there was a series in Seattle where they were playing a similar game. Didn't help that it was after midnight, but they were down and swinging at everything... in the thick of a pennant race. I just decided to shut it down for the night b/c I couldn't stand to watch it anymore. They came back and won, and I missed it.

The next morning, I was fine with it. Sometimes you need to know when to walk away so you don't end up kicking the dog or throwing the remote. I do, anyways... then again, I get a little overly emotional.

That is not my point Frobby and you know it. I agree with everything you'ved posted in this thread but the hyperbole is funny. My point is that posters overreact game to game as if we should go undefeated the rest of the way. It's not gonna happen.

Although I was pissed that we lost, I recognize we have a game today and are still in good playoff position.

How about the clutch hits by Markakis and Jones. The fact that Hammel seemed to have 2 on and none out every inning yet, had a quality start. The fact that Machado crushed that homerun to left center.

When is the last time we've given up more than 4 runs. Enjoy the season. The peaks and the valleys.

Honestly it's a discussion board which will always be tied to the last game played. That's how it works and there are plenty of reactionary threads here....certainly the one you mentioned that's not even close to accurate considering we are in third place in the division. The point is the Orioles gave away a very winnable game last night. Hammel gave them a QS despite struggling....the bullpen did what it does and the bats had a off night. But we had the tying run on 3rd with 0 outs in the 9th and our best hitter and Hardy known for hitting the heat and we couldn't manage a sac fly. In addition Urrita looked over matched to me in his last two at bats.

I haven't had a chance to read the entire thread but while it is always disappointing not to get the tying run in from third base with nobody out, I also don't think last night was some colossal failure.

Greg Holland is striking out 42% of the batters he faces. Batters are putting the ball into play against him only 49% of the time. A batter stepping up to the plate against Holland this season has less than a 50/50 shot of even putting the ball in play! The first pitch to Davis was a nasty 98 MPH at the knees that started at him and moved back over the edge of the plate. The second pitch was Davis' chance since it is incredibly difficult to bat behind in the count against a guy with Holland's stuff. Hitters have a .246 OPS versus Holland with two strikes (1 sac fly in 105 plate appearances for whatever it is worth).

So yea, it was disappointing to get the tying run that close and not get him in but if the team was able to tie the score against Holland it would have been a rather extraordinary feat given how he has pitched this season. It's a tad harsh to call it a failure in situation hitting. Given his stats, the fact that we put four balls in play against him is pretty remarkable. Less than half of the batters he faces puts the ball in play and 4 out of 5 Orioles hitters did that.

Do you guys know each other? You seem to have similar screen names and opinions.

We had a guy who used to come on here and argue with himself to start a troll war. I haven't seen any other the other stuff since Trea had his robots post.

That is not my point Frobby and you know it. I agree with everything you'ved posted in this thread but the hyperbole is funny. My point is that posters overreact game to game as if we should go undefeated the rest of the way. It's not gonna happen.

Although I was pissed that we lost, I recognize we have a game today and are still in good playoff position.

How about the clutch hits by Markakis and Jones. The fact that Hammel seemed to have 2 on and none out every inning yet, had a quality start. The fact that Machado crushed that homerun to left center.

When is the last time we've given up more than 4 runs. Enjoy the season. The peaks and the valleys.

I agree with everything you said in this post. I do get the frustration of failing to get the tying run home from 3B with nobody out in the 9th inning, though. That run is going to score far more often than not, so it's frustrating when it doesn't. You're right to point out the positives that led to that situation even arising. This team never gives up on a game, that's the big positive to take away. Go get 'em tonight!

Archived