NOW you can complain about the situational hitting

Frobby

You really couldn't be more wrong on this.

Orioles' OPS with a runner at third and less than two outs: .845.

Orioles' overall OPS: .767

The Orioles are a much better hitting team with a runner at third and less than two outs than they are overall.

I'd be interested to see how they do in close games and in games that aren't close. People bring up those stats all the time that they aren't terrible, but it sure seems like whenever we really need a run like tonight in that situation, they epically fail.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That at bat did ruin the game... You can not strike out in that situation. Davis needed to jump on the 1st pitch because he's toast against strikeout pitchers when he gets to 2 strikes against him.

Yeah, forget the other 8 innings when we had 3 hits and 1 run...Davis's at bat "ruined" the game.

I'd be interested to see how they do in close games and in games that aren't close. People bring up those stats all the time that they aren't terrible, but it sure seems like whenever we really need a run like tonight in that situation, they epically fail.

That's because every time they fail people like you explode and overreact. The failures are more magnified.

I don't know how else to say this, but...you don't know much about how baseball works, do you?

Sorry but IMO, if you can't score in that situation you should be embarrassed. Oh, and its different if it happens every once in a while, but its happened about 5x the past 5 games.

You know, other than the fact that we are the only team in the majors that has a winning record in games we do not hit a home run.

Thanks for the update on this. I posted this about four times over the past three weeks, but when I posted, it was the O's, Red Sox and Cardinals who had winning records. Good to know it still applies.

Yeah, 6 hits in his last 4 games with 4 RBI. He really sucks now! :rolleyes:

Nobody is saying he sucks, and one of the hits was an easy out that was misplayed. If you watch the games, you can see he's swinging out of his shoes right now. I don't know if you watch the games, though.

Didn't Hammel escape a jam earlier in the game where there was men on 2nd and 3rd and nobody out? Royals couldn't even push a run across against Jason Hammel. We couldn't get a guy from 3rd in with nobody out against one of the best closers in the game. It goes both ways, guys.

That at bat did ruin the game... You can not strike out in that situation. Davis needed to jump on the 1st pitch because he's toast against strikeout pitchers when he gets to 2 strikes against him.

Like Paul said, you really don't understand much about baseball. Everyone is dramatically worse with 2 strikes on them. Did you see the graphic last night? The orioles as a team are second best in the league with about a 205 avg with 2 strikes. The pitchers are good too. It's real easy to sit and whine from the computer about how all you have to do is hit the ball to the outfield. Hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in all of sports.

Sorry but IMO, if you can't score in that situation you should be embarrassed. Oh, and its different if it happens every once in a while, but its happened about 5x the past 5 games.

That's like saying, "If a batter can't bat 1.000, he should be embarrassed." Or, "If a pitcher can't pitch to a 0.00 ERA, he should be embarrassed."

You're setting completely unrealistic expectations and then feeling outraged when the Orioles can't achieve them. No wonder you get so up in arms about everything. Your concept of reality is incredibly skewed, baseball-wise.

The AL average in that situation is 51%. Not 100%. I'm frustrated tonight, but you have to be realistic in your expectations. The O's were at 54% going into tonight.

With a runner on 3rd and no outs? I think you're talking about 1 out? I could understand it with 1 out since Holland is pretty damn good, but with 0 outs...

Also, it really makes it more frustrating that it has happened about 5 times the past 5 games and our hitters simply can not make adjustments and keep failing in those spots.

I was fine with the loss going into the 9th but not being able to score to tie it up with a man on 3rd with no outs really hurts.

All in all I'm fine with today as I really like the K-Rod trade, but our hitters need to be much better in these situations.

I agree with the sentiments posted here. And honestly, this was a game that at no point did we look like we were going to win. So we move on. But that being said, I do not believe that any major league pitcher should be able to escape a runner on third with no outs without giving up a run. I get that it happens (obviously), but you have to get that run in. There are so many ways that the run can be driven in, and the fact is that the enormous pressure should be on the pitcher and not the hitter. Lame ending really, but we play again tomorrow.

Didn't Hammel escape a jam earlier in the game where there was men on 2nd and 3rd and nobody out? Royals couldn't even push a run across against Jason Hammel. We couldn't get a guy from 3rd in with nobody out against one of the best closers in the game. It goes both ways, guys.

Don't try to inject too much logic. It will only confuse some.

Like Paul said, you really don't understand much about baseball. Everyone is dramatically worse with 2 strikes on them. Did you see the graphic last night? The orioles as a team are second best in the league with about a 205 avg with 2 strikes. The pitchers are good too. It's real easy to sit and whine from the computer about how all you have to do is hit the ball to the outfield. Hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in all of sports.

Sorry but I think in that situation, against a strikeout pitcher, Davis needs to do everything in his power not to get to 2 strikes considering he's a league leader in strikeouts... Am I wrong for thinking that? When Davis gets to 2 strikes there's a very good chance he's going to strike out. Against a strikeout pitcher like Holland the chances only increase. You do not want to strikeout in that situation, do you?

With a runner on 3rd and no outs? I think you're talking about 1 out? I could understand it with 1 out since Holland is pretty damn good, but with 0 outs...

Also, it really makes it more frustrating that it has happened about 5 times the past 5 games and our hitters simply can not make adjustments and keep failing in those spots.

I was fine with the loss going into the 9th but not being able to score to tie it up with a man on 3rd with no outs really hurts. .

I am talking about any at bat where there is a runner on 3B and less than 2 outs. The batter basically has a 50/50 shot to get the runner in.

What the hell difference does it make? Those numbers are based on averages. An average doesn't know that that the AB took place in a game down by one in the top of the 9th or a game up by 5 in the top of the 9th.

Of course I know what's coming next...the clutch hitting myth.

Archived