Bud Norris Today, 2013

OFFNY

Bud really competed out there. Especially the first few innings getting a guy to third and bearing down not letting anyone score.

FB is decent, every now and then I think he throws the 4 seemer at 93-94, and his 2 seemer has some great movement at 91-92. He seems to locate it well and throw it with confidence. The Padres announcers were also talking about how the Padres players were saying he has a lot of deception as well.

Slider is OK I think, but last night it had pretty good late life and he kept it down. Reminded me a bit at how Gonzo uses his splitter. Saw the changeup a few times, not sure if historically this is an effective pitch for him. Last night he was predominantly FB/SL.

Overall, I think we will be happy with Bud. Looks like we can pencil him in at least as the #4 for the next couple of years.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Norris' overall E.R.A. for the season stayed exactly the same (3.78) after giving up 2 runs over 5 innings.

DAVID STEFAN NORRIS O (vs. GIANTS, 8/11)

IP:O 5

H:o. 6

R:O. 2

BB:. 2

SO:. 2

Pitches: 98 (59 Strikes, 39 Balls)

2013 ERA: 3.78 OO 2.65 (ORIOLES) OO 3.93 (ASTROS)

Norris' overall E.R.A. for the season stayed exactly the same (3.78) after giving up 2 runs over 5 innings.

DAVID STEFAN NORRIS O (vs. GIANTS, 8/11)

IP:O 5

H:o. 6

R:O. 2

BB:. 2

SO:. 2

Pitches: 98 (59 Strikes, 39 Balls)

2013 ERA: 3.78 OO 3.78 (ORIOLES) OO 3.93 (ASTROS)

Norris' Orioles ERA is actually a much more impressive 2.65 (not 3.78)--5 ER in 17 IP.

He didn't have his A game for sure. Got a lot of defensive support. But he kept them in the ball game. I believe that's now 5 runs in 17 innings. Not many number 5 guys give you that kind of results.

Sweet 3 game sample size be damned!

Sweet 3 game sample size be damned!

He's going to give us, what, 10-11 starts this season? No matter what he does, it'll be a small sample size this year. But those 10-11 games count, and if we win 7-8 out of those 10-11, then that could make the difference in going to the playoffs or staying home.

But no, you're right, there are 120 starters in MLB better than Norris.

He's going to give us, what, 10-11 starts this season? No matter what he does, it'll be a small sample size this year. But those 10-11 games count, and if we win 7-8 out of those 10-11, then that could make the difference in going to the playoffs or staying home.

But no, you're right, there are 120 starters in MLB better than Norris.

Norris is seeing absolutely no advantage from switching leagues this year, as we all know that it has no effect. Maybe his 4.30+ ERA in the NL including 3 years of 4.60 or better wont bloom in the AL after hitters see him more than once. Who knows, that career 93 ERA+ is probably just an anomaly, and he'll likely be a solid number 2-3 pitcher going forward. Hang on pitbull, hang on.

Norris is seeing absolutely no advantage from switching leagues this year, as we all know that it has no effect. Maybe his 4.30+ ERA in the NL including 3 years of 4.60 or better wont bloom in the AL after hitters see him more than once. Who knows, that career 93 ERA+ is probably just an anomaly, and he'll likely be a solid number 2-3 pitcher going forward. Hang on pitbull, hang on.

Sub 4 ERA in the NL this year. ERA+ > 100 this year. Two of the past three years under 4. Yeah, 120 guys do that all the time. LOL. Number 5 all the way.

Sub 4 ERA in the NL this year. ERA+ > 100 this year. Two of the past three years under 4. Yeah, 120 guys do that all the time. LOL. Number 5 all the way.

Case in point, if you throw out his four 2013 starts against the Angels (whose lineup consists mostly of right-handed hitters), his ERA balloons to 4.95. It’s unlikely that the AL East would be kind to him. Also consider that he’s averaged fewer than 6 innings per start, since 2010.

More interesting tidbits from a great pitchFX article.

Bud Norris is essentially a league average starter, and presents a great option as a 4 or 5 starter in a rotation looking to make the playoffs. He has the talent to put up a 4 ERA in the AL East, with the possibility to be better than that if everything breaks right. He might struggle from time to time, and could be hurt by the long ball.

Getting back to Keith Law’s note in his analysis of the trade, there’s also the potential for Norris to be a late inning reliever should the club not need his services in the rotation. His stuff would profile nicely in the bullpen, and he could truly be a special reliever if he were moved into the bullpen. Should Jim Johnson be moved in the offseason for prospects, the O’s might have just acquired their closer for next year.

But whatever pitbull, you keep hanging onto the number 2-3 pipe dream.

This is a great statistical article explaining why he's so great. LOL.

http://baltimoresportsandlife.com/baltimore-orioles/who-is-bud-norris-a-pitchfx-profile/

I guess this is where we differ. If you agree with the article, you view him as league average. And you say he is a number 5. If league average is number 5, when do the below average pitchers pitch? You made a point in the game thread, twice, that he's a number 5. I disagreed with that. Point me to my post where I said he was a number 2. But don't look too long because you won't find it.

If you view "league average" as the bottom quintile, then I don't think we're going to find common ground here. But that's okay, I was really super sad too when he gave up two runs in the first. I also thought the sky had fallen.

What's up with bulldog name calling?

BTW, Brett Gardner is pretty excited for being on a 4th place team.

Archived