Mark Reynolds DFA (UPDATE:Yankees signed him)

TonySoprano

Reynolds - Pickup as Bargain Sale or Pass?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Reynolds - Pickup as Bargain Sale or Pass?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Adding Reynolds really helps our abysmal patience issue too. The one thing the guy knows how to do is draw walks, even if you dislike the other things he does. That alone is an improvement.

He's OBP'ing .307. And since his early May peak he's OBP'ing negative two-thousand (don't quote me on that... ok, it's actually .271). That's not really helping anyone. He's really not even out-performing Danny Pearce or Steve Valencia.

He also has the highest OPS of any month for his career during August at .872, which he neglected to mention (Roch has always been against bringing Reynolds back anyway).

If only we lived in a world where month-to-month splits had predictive value.

Thinking about it, that's a lot of plate discipline at the bottom of the order. Would regularly take at least 15+ pitches to get through those three.

Nothing like getting through to the other team's bullpen a batter or two early by using a bunch of guys who can't hit at all.

Man, I was wrong. I was all about bringing him back.

Maybe he would have done better in Baltimore, maybe he wouldn't have. He had his ups and downs while he was here, but he'll always have a soft spot in my heart for kicking the hell out of the Yankees and Sox last year. He slugged .804 and .778 against the Yanks and Sox last year. Unbelievable.

I'm not sure what he brings right now. It's hard to look at those numbers this year and think that he's got something left but he just turned 30.

Maybe you should explain it to him Silver.

And by him I mean me.

In August, a player must be passed through trade waivers in order to be traded. If a player is claimed, the original team can try to work out a deal with the claiming team or they can decide to just let the player go on waivers and the new team is responsible for the contract. A player can also be pulled back if they are claimed on waivers. A player can be put on trade waivers a second time but if they are claimed, the player can not be pulled back off waivers.

The DFA process is all year and that is a player is exposed to waivers and any team can claim him and his contract. If any team claims Reynolds, they would have to pay his remaining contract. If he clears waivers (and declines an outright assignment to AAA) and becomes a free agent, he can sign for the prorated major league minimum with a new team, with the Indians responsible for the rest of his contract.

Archived