For what it's worth......Pitching!

Belkast

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh I agree with you, and I'm don't want sound like I'm saying that he should be promoted to right to the bigs, but the things I've read and heard about him shows he is on the right track. When he was drafted the big concern was about his character, and now that talk has seemed to have died down. I think he gets it now. But you are right he has to prove himself at AA and then AAA.

Ha Ha!!! Now that I have everybody's attention..... I would like to know who do all of you think will be our next Eric Bedard? How much do you value our young arms? Is Adam Loewen the next Bedard? Do we have another Bedard in our system? It's obvious that we have a ton of arms, but how many true great one's can we expect? Let's have your thoughts on this.....

Sorry I had fun with the title. I hope nobody will be upset with me because of it!

I'm sure I will get razzed for this prediction, but I honestly think Troy Patton could be the next Bedard. I am not saying that to be gullible...I just think he has all the makings of an ace.

I'm sure I will get razzed for this prediction, but I honestly think Troy Patton could be the next Bedard. I am not saying that to be gullible...I just think he has all the makings of an ace.

From a BP Chat with Kevin Goldstein:

Mike (Columbia, MD): For you, what is Spoone's ceiling? Was at the game last night and he was just dominant... the Wilmington hitters didn't have a chance.

Kevin Goldstein: Big time Chorye Spoone fan here, and before you ask, it's pronounced like "Cory", it's just spelled funny. I love guys with a power sinker than has the ability to get ground balls AND miss bats, and you saw that last night with nine whiffs and 14 ground ball outs.

From a BP Chat with Kevin Goldstein:

Mike (Columbia, MD): For you, what is Spoone's ceiling? Was at the game last night and he was just dominant... the Wilmington hitters didn't have a chance.

Kevin Goldstein: Big time Chorye Spoone fan here, and before you ask, it's pronounced like "Cory", it's just spelled funny. I love guys with a power sinker than has the ability to get ground balls AND miss bats, and you saw that last night with nine whiffs and 14 ground ball outs.

This sure does excite me. If his sinker is as good as it sounds I would think he would have the best chance to be the ace. To me a good sinker is the best pitch to have especially in our park.

I think Patton is probably the best bet out of all of the "prospects" to be a solid ML pitcher in the rotation. His stuff is polished, but not eye-popping. There's no one pitch he throws that will make you giggle -- you know, when you see something filthy and that little smile just forms as a reflex? Very good command and a solid understanding of his decent arsenal is a great formula for a ML career -- I'd say a good number three, but hopefully he's surpassed and gets to be an outstanding #4.

This sure does excite me. If his sinker us as good as it sounds I would think he would have the best chance to be the ace. To me a good sinker is the best pitch to have especially in our park.

The issue is how his stuff will play against advanced bats. I'd guess the strikeout numbers decrease, and his upside winds up around Wang's. Very solid #2. Not sure he changes speed enough to make him truly dominant day in and day out -- I know his changeup improved this year, but I want to see it against upper-level hitters. Exciting to see him take a jump this past year, no doubt.

Out of all the prospects we've mentioned, in order, who has the best potential to be an ace?

Loewen, Erbe, Liz, Albers, Spoone, Guthrie, Arietta, Beato

EDIT -- I always mix-up whether to double the "r"s or the "t"s in Arietta, so I'll be spelling it both ways depending on my mood ;)

Out of all the prospects we've mentioned, in order, who has the best potential to be an ace?
Depends on how you define "potential to be an ace". Is it upside? Is it liklihood of reaching that upside? A combination of the two?

Liz or Erbe probably has the highest upside of anybody currently in our system. Olson or Patton is probably most likely to fill out and reach whatever potential it is that he has. Loewen is probably the best combination of the two.

One knock on Bedard I hear questioned is his leadership. Do have of the names we have mentioned show signs of being a true leader?

I think so far we've talked about Cabrera, Loewen, Spoone, Patton, Albers, Liz and Erbe. I know that is not alot and Cabrera and Loewen aren't really prospects anymore, but to make easier we could throw guys like Penn D. Hernandez, Arrieta, Bascom and others in.

I think so far we've talked about Cabrera, Loewen, Spoone, Patton, Albers, Liz and Erbe. I know that is not alot and Cabrera and Loewen aren't really prospects anymore, but to make easier we could throw guys like Penn D. Hernandez, Arrieta, Bascom and others in.

I just really do not see Penn in the ace class anymore. I think he was rushed to the bigs and will never be a good pitcher. That's just my opinion....

Archived