2013 Astros most profitable team in history.

LayzieDES

The Astros opened the season with a paltry $26 million payroll, and since then have traded or released six of their eight highest-paid players. Yet according to this report from Forbes, the team projects to have an operating income of about $99 million. That's much more than any previous team, and as Forbes points out, more than the last six World Series-winning teams combined.

http://deadspin.com/report-astros-more-profitable-than-any-team-ever-1201746017?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

The craziness that is MLB.

I think that Drungo will like this but I'll wait for his wisdom.....

I like this! They actually have an exciting young team with some keepers and some young pitching for the long haul. Bo has 'em playing tough and Mr. LJ is doing pretty well!

I feel like there's no way this article can be accurate. I can't imagine that between ticket prices, local TV revenue, etc., the Yankees don't make more than $99M.

I'm guessing it's just creative bookkeeping that separates the YES revenues from other Yankees money.

I feel like there's no way this article can be accurate. I can't imagine that between ticket prices, local TV revenue, etc., the Yankees don't make more than $99M.

I'm guessing it's just creative bookkeeping that separates the YES revenues from other Yankees money.

Yes, that part of the article makes no sense. It's duplicated in the original Forbes article as well.

The Astros are on pace to rake in an estimated $99 million in operating income this season. That is nearly as much as the estimated operating income of the previous six World Series championship teams — combined.

Which can't possibly be right. If the Yankees have an INCOME of less than $99 million, they're operating at a gigantic loss from payroll alone.

Perhaps they wanted to calculate the profit (estimated at $73 million) then say that the Astros' profits are equal to the last 6 WS winners combined? That seems entirely possible, since some of those WS winners were probably near break-even or having small losses.

Forbes lists the top teams operating incomes. It shows the Yankees only have an operating income of $1.4 million...the O's at $30.1 million.

Values calculated March 2013

Rank Team Current Value ($mil) 1-Yr Value Change (%) Debt/Value

(%) Revenue ($mil) Operating Income ($mil)

New York Yankees

2,300 24 2 471 1.4

Los Angeles Dodgers

1,615 15 26 245 3.2

Boston Red Sox

1,312 31 18 336 23.9

Chicago Cubs

1,000 14 58 274 32.1

Philadelphia Phillies

893 24 20 279 .6

New York Mets

811 13 53 232 -2.4

San Francisco Giants

786 22 12 262 17.6

Texas Rangers

764 13 48 239 -8.7

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

718 9 3 239 -12.9

St Louis Cardinals

716 21 38 239 19.9

http://www.forbes.com/mlb-valuations/list/

When I see you screen name, I think of both Johnny Mize and Bill Mazeroski. :)

Forbes lists the top teams operating incomes. It shows the Yankees only have an operating income of $1.4 million...the O's at $30.1 million.

Ah, OK. I thought operating income was more like revenue, but google says it's actually pre-tax profits. Makes much more sense.

• 2 months later...
Why doesn't he just sue the carriers and force them to carry his crap team?

Didn't somebody else do that a few years ago?

I like how he said he would be raising payroll, as what is left of the MLBPA would let him get away with a 20 million payroll for 2014.

Good one!

Archived