Michael Morse "almost certain" to join the Orioles (Update: Acquired for Avery))

Greg

I understand. You are right. He isn't a big piece(really loved the kid though) but we aren't making the playoffs and Morse won't be here next year.

If you know for a fact that we aren't making the playoffs, then it was inarguably a dumb move because it is a waste of almost a million dollars (the difference between Avery and Morse's salaries). I don't know that for a fact.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, I can understand the points of view from the people that just don't like Morse the player and don't think he can help out, after all, he's having a poor year and we are hoping a change in scenery and ballpark will bring him back to the guy from year's past. But how in the world anyone can be upset about losing Avery for him goes beyond comprehension.

I don't think the difference between Pearce and Morse defensively in LF is something to gauge when they are only going to be playing out there vs LHP...they are both horrible defensively...it's not like we are comparing Morse to Brett Gardner.

If they're similarly bad defensively it doesn't show up in the metrics. The metrics indicate that Morse is Adam Dunn bad, Pearce is maybe a few runs below average.

It's a blunder, but maybe only in hindsight, because he commanded $5 million. Maybe he would have come here for less, but it sounds like he was holding out for a big paycheck and got one. And the O's thought they had enough quality relievers.

But yeah - he would have been a huge help. No doubt.

True, blunder probably was not the right word. Koji did get a pretty high salary and with JJ coming off a record breaking year, the Orioles were not going to spend that kind of money on a setup guy. Even though it's understandable why he didn't do it, but had he traded JJ and replaced him with a cheaper Koji, the Orioles are probably leading the Division right now. Now that's 20/20 hindsight! :D

If they're similarly bad defensively it doesn't show up in the metrics. The metrics indicate that Morse is Adam Dunn bad, Pearce is maybe a few runs below average.

Pearce is honestly not as bad as some make him out to be defensively. He doesn't always look pretty and his arm is below average, but he's not a butcher out there. I haven't seen enough of Morse defensively to make an informed opinion but you are right, the defensive metrics don't paint a good picture.

It's like you are trying to compare who is a better role model for teenage girls - Lindsay Lohan or Amanda Bynes. It's just not worth it.

Something happen to Casilla?

For this very reason, I didn't see the Orioles bringing up Avery this September anyways. He was probably going to be DFA'd if the Orioles needed a 40-man roster spot although Liddi is also a viable candidate.

Archived