Kevin Gausman: Starter or reliever?

markakis8

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thorne said something to the like of that if Gausman pitches well today (he did) that he predicts he will start his next appearance. If he does, what do you think about it?

Right now, I like Gausman coming out of the pen and mopping up 2-3 innings in situations like today. I'd rather him coming in when a starter is struggling like Chen today and keep us in it. I feel more confident in him coming in the 5th inning than McFarland.

Or would you rather him get another shot at starting this month?

KG is being Weaverized, as he should be. Let him get his feet wet mowing 'em down from the pen for 1-3 innings and then let him compete for a starting spot next year. I hope we have more guys in the pen like him!

Gausman is going to be really good. Everything I see points to that. The reality is that he s a 2 pitch pitcher right now. He rally needs to work on his slider/curve. His FB and changeup are absolutely plus pitches. He's not ready to be a sucessful ML starter right now. I think he's being handled very well. I thought he should have been pitching out of the pen all season but i had no problem trying him as a starter.

Long term, this guy is a TOR starter.

I think Gasuman profiles as a reliever far more than a starter. His skillset is more designed around a relief role. It's like putting someone at point guard, but their natural skillset is shooting guard.

Would you like to rescind your comment that Gausman has NO control? If you say he should be a reliever I am sold on the fact he should be a starter.

You're confusing control with command and he still has time to develop a breaking pitch.

No, it's too late for him to develop another breaking pitch. You have to listen and accept the word of the geniuses who tell you so. They know so much more than the people who scouted and drafted Gausman.

Gasuman has no control. He does not really pitch sequence. He is a 2 pitch player. He's a reliever.

It would have been funny to watch you contort yourself around guys like Maddux or Palmer. When the O's called up Palmer he was coming off a season where he walked 130 in 129 innings in A ball. Clearly he was a failed prospect with no command or control and needed to be traded or dumped on whatever sucker would take him. Maddux had a 5+ ERA as a rookie, and was obviously a junkballer masquerading as a mid-level prospect.

If only life were a clear and obvious as you think it is...

You have to try him as a starter, be it now, or at the beginning of next year. You don't draft a guy with his talent from the program he came from with a top 5 pick and make him a reliever without an injury necessitating it or the performance to indicate he'd be better served there. Matusz was moved to the pen because his performance and splits indicated he should be, and it has worked. Patton it was injury related. Britton is looking like a Matusz case as well. You haven't seen Gausman at the big league level long enough to gauge what his long-term role will be, and therefore, you have to pencil him in as a contender for the rotation next year, and if he doesn't make it out of spring training, start him at Norfolk.

The Cardinals vehemently disagree. As do I.

I think Gausman in the pen right now and even most of next year would be great for him.

It would have been funny to watch you contort yourself around guys like Maddux or Palmer. When the O's called up Palmer he was coming off a season where he walked 130 in 129 innings in A ball. Clearly he was a failed prospect with no command or control and needed to be traded or dumped on whatever sucker would take him. Maddux had a 5+ ERA as a rookie, and was obviously a junkballer masquerading as a mid-level prospect.

If only life were a clear and obvious as you think it is...

Pitchers who figure it out are the exception to the rule, but are the real good ones as well. Unlike hitters who drastically improve after getting called up pitchers do not. FIP remains basically flat once a pitcher debuts in the MLB.

Pitcher_Curves_Starters.png

Archived