The negativity has got to stop!!! (MAJOR RANT)

orioleslist

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why doesn't he just put all the people he hates on ignore? Sounds like an easy solution to me instead of crying to the mods.

I guess you missed where the site owner did say that a lot of things going down in Game Threads (which are more loosey goosey, but still) are breaking the established rules? Its not like there's some call to make new rules. Just a lament about established rules flying by.

So, Tony asked me to write the game summary for OH on Sundays starting this Sunday. I was honored and agreed. I was watching the game, trying to follow the game thread, interact with the fans, and starting my summary. I simply couldn't do it. Several posters were dominating the thread by simply insulting individuals players, the team, the management, etc... They weren't critiquing the team or even the game situation. The insults were generic "X sucks", "Y is a loser", ... I couldn't do it. I had to leave. It was incredibly disheartening that the discourse had fallen to that level.

So, an emergency came in the top of the 7th and I had to suddenly leave the house to help a friend. I missed the comeback and literally didn't get back to the house until about 9 PM. I got home anxious because I knew I needed to watch the last three innings, finish the summary, and mail it to Weams. I was tired but determined to meet my commitment.

Lo and behold we won and the rampage started just when I left the house. I was really happy. I couldn't help but go back to the game thread where I left off to see how the nasty reactions changed when we had a 7 run inning. I was really disappointed to see a much more muted reaction from these same posters. They posted a couple times, but it was stuff like "Wow" rather than "AJ is great" and the frequency was much, much lower. It was almost as if these posters were less happy that they couldn't go on ranting, raving, and insulting everything.

The main board wasn't much better. To be honest, my desire to write a summary for the masses was crushed by my disappointment in finding that the "fanatics" didn't react nearly as positively when something good happened as when the bad happened. That finding combined with the timing (it was now 10 PM so the news was "stale") and my fatigue led me not to finish my half written summary and submit it to Tony/Weams. I was really disappointed in myself and I told my wife, Rox, as much as we went to bed, but I just couldn't do it.

I got up at 4 AM this morning to finish my write up and send it on to Weams because it was bothering my sleep so much. When I did, I saw that Weams wrote a quick summary and posted it up front. He didn't give me any crap in a PM or e-mail. I also saw this thread which frustrated me all over again, because I see some of the same feelings that have been rolling around in my head / heart expressed by others (which makes me want to contribute, discuss, debate, and be a part of the society) and the same bullheaded silliness expressed by those that don't really understand and/or care that their irrational behavior lowers the enjoyment of others.

Regardless of the reasons for my behavior, at the end of the day, I didn't do what I committed to doing so I want to apologize to Tony and Weams for not following through on my commitment. It won't happen again.

Why do you need to analyze everyone? Some people are miserable in their life. Misery loves company, these people want to make everyone else miserable too. They probably have no girlfriend or something and are depressed. What is so hard to understand? Didn't you ever take psychology?

That's why they left when things got good. Depressed, sad people can't express any joy.

Why do you need to analyze everyone? Some people are miserable in their life. Misery loves company, these people want to make everyone else miserable too. They probably have no girlfriend or something and are depressed. What is so hard to understand? Didn't you ever take psychology?

Uh...you just analyzed him, and also random people. I find that pretty damn funny.

Uh...you just analyzed him, and also random people. I find that pretty damn funny.

People have been complaining about the negative posters all year. Not everyone is happy like us. Most people in this country are miserable these days. The economy is circling the drain. Just realize that and ignore them.

People have been complaining about the negative posters all year. Not everyone is happy like us. Most people in this country are miserable these days. The economy is circling the drain. Just realize that and ignore them.

I lean heavily towards misanthropy but I'm not sure I could just leave people to their misery quite like that. :D

I lean heavily towards misanthropy but I'm not sure I could just leave people to their misery quite like that. :D

I am not "analyzing" them. I WAS them a couple years ago. I was miserable and depressed, and wanted everyone else to be miserable with me. If I saw happy people, it angered me.

I turned things around and I am pretty happy these days. So there is hope for the negative nancies.

That's why they left when things got good. Depressed, sad people can't express any joy.

Absolutely oozing irony. Dripping even.

Archived