Carrie Muskat says Cubs and Orioles are still talking.

skiba7

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You cant be serious?

What is the Average & SLG of pitchers in the NL the last five years?

Now compare that to Average & SLG of DH's over the same period!

Thats the difference... & I bet is substantial!

Before responding Red do the figures!

Ortiz

Thomas

Hafner

Sheffield

Thome

Those 5 are the only DH's with .800 OPS's, much less .900...there are quite a few piss-poor DH's

VORP is a counting stat #1...And if you want to look at that and say guys like Aaron Cook were better and actually believe it, you should be banned from posting on here.

I still maintain that health and pitch efficiency are both skills. You can be the most lights-out pitcher in the league, but if you're throwing 30 or 40 fewer innings than the other guys, that's value they're getting that you aren't.

On an inning-by-inning basis, I've never argued against Bedard as one of the better pitchers currently in the game. But he's simply not durable enough to be considered as high as you seem to.

No one answered my question earlier, someone said Bedard was pulled in Sep due to another injury?...What was it?

He had a strained Oblique.

He could have pitched again probably 2-3 times. Rather than risk a more serious (Arm Injury) they chose to shut him down as they had no reason to take a risk.

I said there is no need for us to acquire Bedard because I think that Hill will be better. That isn't baiting, it's just my opinion, just like you post yours.

Joey,

I think you add depth and insight to our message board. I wouldn't trade Roberts for Hill straight up if I were the Cubs, but saying that Hill will be better than Bedard is like saying Bedard will be better than Santana. Jones will be a better player than Pie in my opinion, but I wouldn't trade Roberts for Pie straight up if I were the Cubs either. It is not that Roberts is a better second baseman than Pie will ever be a center fielder. It is the lack of premium center fielders that fuels my arguement. Someone name me 5 CF's you would take over the top 5 RF's or LF's. I can name a few, but not many. Now someone name me 5 DH's you would take over the top 5 center fielders. The Cubs do not need asecond baseman enough to trade either Hill or Pie. The only way Hill or Pie come back to Baltimore is through a Bedard deal. I do not love the return either. Bedard was 13-5 with the 3.16 ERA in the American League East, on a bad team. Hill was 11-8 with a 3.92 ERA in the NL. Put himin the AL East and his ERA inflates into the low 4.25's. The Cubs won 16 more games than Baltimore. Rich Hill started 4 more games, but had less more wins than Bedard. They are about the same age, Bedard 28, Hill 27. If the Orioles called and said Bedard for Hill, Bedard would be a Cub tomorrow morning. I like Hill a lot also, but I could name another 5-10 American League starters I would want before Hill.

We Agree to disagree!

Hr's are Hr's

Jones hit 15, 17, & 27 I'd say he's a developing HR threat. (hit 25 of those in 420 AB's at AAA)

Pie hit 9 at AAA in 227 AB w/ 43 K's (ok so he may have hit 15 if he had played at AAA for 420 AB's)

So my point is Jones is a better Home Run threat!

Don't get me wrong, I like Jones more than Pie, but Pie is still developing too. Look at the doubles and triples that he hit in those years Jones outhomered him. This is why people pay so much attention to slugging % which takes it all into account.

Pretty often with younger players hitting alot of doubles is not far off from hitting more home runs.

Look at Roberts a couple years ago, when he had his power outburst, everyone screamed steroids, but the year before he hit 50 doubles, and anyone who has played can tell you a double isn't far off from being a HR.

They should both be great OF once they develop, but I would expect them both to have stats pretty near each others, more in the mold of Reggie Sanders type stats than Carlos Beltran.

Joey,

I think you add depth and insight to our message board. I wouldn't trade Roberts for Hill straight up if I were the Cubs, but saying that Hill will be better than Bedard is like saying Bedard will be better than Santana. Jones will be a better player than Pie in my opinion, but I wouldn't trade Roberts for Pie straight up if I were the Cubs either. It is not that Roberts is a better second baseman than Pie will ever be a center fielder. It is the lack of premium center fielders that fuels my arguement. Someone name me 5 CF's you would take over the top 5 RF's or LF's. I can name a few, but not many. Now someone name me 5 DH's you would take over the top 5 center fielders. The Cubs do not need asecond baseman enough to trade either Hill or Pie. The only way Hill or Pie come back to Baltimore is through a Bedard deal. I do not love the return either. Bedard was 13-5 with the 3.16 ERA in the American League East, on a bad team. Hill was 11-8 with a 3.92 ERA in the NL. Put himin the AL East and his ERA inflates into the low 4.25's. The Cubs won 16 more games than Baltimore. Rich Hill started 4 more games, but had less more wins than Bedard. They are about the same age, Bedard 28, Hill 27. If the Orioles called and said Bedard for Hill, Bedard would be a Cub tomorrow morning. I like Hill a lot also, but I could name another 5-10 American League starters I would want before Hill.

Wins are a horrible measure of pitching ability

Rich Hill was behind only Matt Cain in worst run support last year

Cain 3.2 R/game

Hill 3.42 R/game

I agree a Hill for Bedard deal would be done instantaneously by the Cubs, however that's not in question, the O's are demanding a lot more and Bedard's not worth "a lot more" than Hill

Joey,

That's been said on here too.

Now the poster who said it is probably going to hide behind semantics ("I said could, not will!!!"), but the implication was clear.

Archived