Interesting quotes from a beleaguered Buck Showalter...

JTrea81

Oh, and I love how you insterted "beleaguered" into the title, as if that was somewhere in Roch's piece. I can't wait to see the battle over just how beleaguered Buck is and the dramatic implications it has on the direction of the Baltimore Orioles.

Obviously this comment is because of context, but I thought I'd point out that if I were a manager I'd certainly feel beleaguered after getting swept by a team I'm chasing for a playoff spot, and in the process lost my all-star 3B and my backup 2B.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you going to keep ignoring people calling you out on making up adjectives and meanings out of meaningless quotes?

See I don't think they are meaningless. Quite frankly when you've got a manager that is worn down and at the end of the season, that is when the filter comes off and you get unexpected insight into the organization if you know what to look for. What seems like rambling may have just confirmed the following:

-Buck does not believe this team can win the World Series just yet.

-Buck Showalter and Dan Duquette are both shaping the roster and go to Angelos together with suggestions, not just Duquette.

-Peter Angelos still has a big say in baseball operations, so much so that a lot of moves aren't even taken to him for approval because the baseball ops guys know he'll say no.

-There are moves that Angelos has nixed suggested by Showalter/Duquette that would have helped the team.

Now we might have inferred these things, but never was it said until now how the relationship between the baseball ops under Duquette and Angelos was, nor how involved Showalter was in actual baseball operations. And it's all because Buck let his guard down a bit after being shell-shocked in Tampa.

It's going to take a lot more than one year, two years, three years.

I would read that as. To get the team to be considered a contender, yearly, we'll have to do it for an extended period of time.

I think what people miss, they lose sight of the consistent 'yes' we get from our ownership.

Not sure how you can spin that to fit your agenda. But you do always seem to attempt to.

edit, Mr. spin doctor cut off part of the first quote. The part that put it into more context. The rest of the quote

We're in a good place. It's going to take a lot more than one year, two years, three years.

I have the most respect for people that do it consistently, year-in and year-out.

Again, identifying guys with RISP ability is a fools errand, but have at it.

Actually it's simple - find really good players.

But I'm sure Trea is saying look for five guys like Nate McLouth and pick the one who hits best with RISP. Which is exactly like flipping five coins and using the one that comes up heads most for your upcoming flippin' tournament. (And then blaming your coach when it comes up tails 50% of the time.)

See I don't think they are meaningless. Quite frankly when you've got a manager that is worn down and at the end of the season, that is when the filter comes off and you get unexpected insight into the organization if you know what to look for. What seems like rambling may have just confirmed the following:

-Buck does not believe this team can win the World Series just yet.

-Buck Showalter and Dan Duquette are both shaping the roster and go to Angelos together with suggestions, not just Duquette.

-Peter Angelos still has a big say in baseball operations, so much so that a lot of moves aren't even taken to him for approval because the baseball ops guys know he'll say no.

-There are moves that Angelos has nixed suggested by Showalter/Duquette that would have helped the team.

Now we might have inferred these things, but never was it said until now how the relationship between the baseball ops under Duquette and Angelos was, nor how involved Showalter was in actual baseball operations. And it's all because Buck let his guard down a bit after being shell-shocked in Tampa.

We know you don't think they're meaninglessness, but you're the only one. Yet you don't seem to understand the problem. You didn't get unexpected insight into the front office. You twisted rambling quotes out of context to fit your already preconceived agenda. Only you could take a quote saying that Angelos gives a consistent yes and turn that around to him routinely saying no to things. Where was it suggested that there were moves nixed by Angelos?

You didn't turn over ****, you're still the same old troll.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4.

No premium talent per say, but OBP

This isn't so crazy... Most people on the board have been screaming this for years. This indeed is a traceable and "predictable" skill

and ability with RISP

This isn't predictable and isn't a skill. If you are able to identify players with this specific repeatable/predicitable skill you will revolutionize player scouting.

along with playoff experience should be what we are looking for.

This usually means 34/35 yr old overpriced mediocre F/As or 27/28 yr old bad players... Pass... I think it is way more important to just find better players.

This isn't so crazy... Most people on the board have been screaming this for years. This indeed is a traceable and "predictable" skill

The issue is that this was the market inefficiency of 12 years ago. Now there are 29 other teams all gobbling up as much OBP as they can find. We can expect to pay market rates for every point of OBP.

This (hitting with RISP) isn't predictable and isn't a skill. If you are able to identify players with this specific repeatable/predicitable skill you will revolutionize player scouting.

Not only would it revolutionize scouting, but would open up whole new player talent pools, since it's clear that the pool consisting of all known baseball players don't posess this as a skill distinct from general hitting talent. Basically you'd have to find out that, say, cricket batsmen also happen to be both great baseball batters and have a unique talent for hitting with RISP. It would be mind-blowing.

Actually it's simple - find really good players.

But I'm sure Trea is saying look for five guys like Nate McLouth and pick the one who hits best with RISP. Which is exactly like flipping five coins and using the one that comes up heads most for your upcoming flippin' tournament. (And then blaming your coach when it comes up tails 50% of the time.)

Yes. Since this has been covered a 1,000 times I'm sure most all of us know what the implication is with RISP. Even the droll that keeps repeating the same dumb nonsense while ignoring or deflecting from any critical responses.

The issue is that this was the market inefficiency of 12 years ago. Now there are 29 other teams all gobbling up as much OBP as they can find. We can expect to pay market rates for every point of OBP.

Completely agree, just not sure that is enough reason to not pursue it.

Not only would it revolutionize scouting, but would open up whole new player talent pools, since it's clear that the pool consisting of all known baseball players don't posess this as a skill distinct from general hitting talent. Basically you'd have to find out that, say, cricket batsmen also happen to be both great baseball batters and have a unique talent for hitting with RISP. It would be mind-blowing.

Right, its not possible, but if Jtrea wants to develop a model that finds generally bad hitters that will be great with RISP in some predictable way, then by all means....

Maybe they could look into Jai Alai players... maybe seal beating eskimos in outer Alaskan villages.. If you can hit a seal, then you can hit a ball with RISP....

Archived