It seems at least likely that Wieters gets traded.

weams

Going back to the Cubs. Does this trade work ?

Matt Wieters, Steve Pearce and their choice of Troy Patton/Brian Matusz/Zack Britton. They could use a R/H bat to back up 1B and RF and need a LH bullpen pitcher.

For:

Jeff Samardzija and Wellington Castillo. We get a S/P and catcher and save some money.

I think Pearce is a free agent.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Boras works for Matt. If he really wants to stay, then he'll insist that Boras works out a deal (see Jered Weaver). My guess is he's willing to be led along by Boras.
Duquette said that Boras' trend of taking players to free agency means the O's have to be open to the possibility of dealing one or both players.

"His inclination is not to do something like that unless it is a pretty large deal," Duquette said. "It is on the players to almost step up and tell him, 'Hey, I want to stay here and I'm not looking for every last dollar.' One of those two, or both, are going to have to step up and direct Scott in what they want to do.

"You have to be open minded to trading them if you don't think you can re-sign them. That is a critical question to be answered."

source - Steve Melewski

Going back to the Cubs. Does this trade work ?

Matt Wieters, Steve Pearce and their choice of Troy Patton/Brian Matusz/Zack Britton. They could use a R/H bat to back up 1B and RF and need a LH bullpen pitcher.

For:

Jeff Samardzija and Wellington Castillo. We get a S/P and catcher and save some money.

Why would the Cubs do this? Castillo was arguably better than Wieters this year. He's also cheaper and under control longer. I doubt they would be interested in Wieters at all. Especially not enough to give up a young catcher that they like and Samardzija. The rest of your offer, even if Pearce was still on the roster, is table scraps.

Wow. I would consider trading one of Gausman or Bundy if the return was right, but to include one of them to get Samardzija seems ludicrous.

Would adding Castillo to that deal make it worth one of Gausman or Bundy? Castillo had a nice 4 WAR season, but I would guess there would be other pieces involved.

Wieters has been my favorite player for a while. But if we can somehow trade him for Brandon Phillips, I have to think that's a good deal for both sides. I think Wieters would hit well in that park, and Phillips fills a HUGE hole for us.

I'd miss MW dearly, but I think the O's would be a better team because of it. His bat has just not developed into what we'd hoped, and while he's a very good defensive catcher, he's not likely to be a perennial GG catcher with his size back there.

Wieters has been my favorite player for a while. But if we can somehow trade him for Brandon Phillips, I have to think that's a good deal for both sides. I think Wieters would hit well in that park, and Phillips fills a HUGE hole for us.

I'd miss MW dearly, but I think the O's would be a better team because of it. His bat has just not developed into what we'd hoped, and while he's a very good defensive catcher, he's not likely to be a perennial GG catcher with his size back there.

We are also moving Wieters to clear some money, and Phillips is owed 50 million. He's also aging, and headed in the wrong direction offensively.

Wow. I would consider trading one of Gausman or Bundy if the return was right, but to include one of them to get Samardzija seems ludicrous.

Would adding Castillo to that deal make it worth one of Gausman or Bundy? Castillo had a nice 4 WAR season, but I would guess there would be other pieces involved.

EdRod and Wieters for Samardzija and Castillo. I wouldn't put Bundy or Gausman in that deal. Maybe add a Matusz or Britton or Patton, if necessary.

EdRod and Wieters for Samardzija and Castillo. I wouldn't put Bundy or Gausman in that deal. Maybe add a Matusz or Britton or Patton, if necessary.

This would be an interesting deal. Castillo looks to have a decent stick.

Makes me wonder why Chicago would even consider going after Wieters.

Archived