Dan Duquette Translation. ($100 million payroll or just shiny marbles?)

weams

Angelos is not getting any younger and, to be frank, should be thinking of his own mortality. A very important person does not like greed.

Yes but no one knows when the Judge will ring the final bell. He is 84 but he could

live ten years more or be dead in ten days. Is Angelos the worst owner the the

O's ever had? I don't remember when Eli Jacobs was the owner.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For all the "we won the last two seasons" and "Tampa and Oakland win on low budgets" stuff how many championships have those three teams won in recent times? Yes, you can spend piles of money and lose. You also can't be cheap and win titles. It just doesn't work...

Courtesy of the Washington Times

Let?s take a look at the last 18 World Series winners and where they rank in the majors in total player payroll. Teams in the top five have won the World Series eight times. Twelve teams ranked in the top 10 have been the winners of the fall classic. Seventeen of the last 18 World Series winners have had a payroll in the top 15. In the last 18 years, only one team has been able to win the World Series without being ranked in the top 15 for payroll. That team was the 1997 Florida Marlins. They ranked 25th out of 28 teams.

Now, let?s see where the loser of the World Series ranked in payroll over the last 18 years. Six teams were ranked in the top five. Eleven of the last 18 losers have been ranked in the top 10 for player payroll. Fifteen of the losing teams were ranked in the top 15 in baseball. Only three teams ranked outside of the top 15 in player salary have managed to make it to the World Series and then lose."

Guest rochester

The increased revenue of $25M should be put back into the team both short and long term.

We traded JJ and his $10M salary (+10M)

Is there anyway we can trade Nick M and give $5M towards 2014? (+10M)

IMO DD should be told that he can have the $25M to use how he sees fit to secure short and long-term improvement. Any "reallocating" can be used in the same way.

Without trading NM he has $35M to use; with Nick (and sending $5M with him), he has $45M to use - increase in salaries should have already been budgeted. Lock-up who he needs to; improve the team in other areas and have escrow for potential in-season moves, spend it on scouting/development, etc. Meanwhile, make assumptions based on increased revenue from a successful team, including extra home games (playoffs), merchandising and, frankly, increased bandwagon revenue. Plus, I do believe there is the intangible of making every effort to be the best, albeit small.

I really do not care what the payroll is - signing Ellsbury, as much as I would like to see him in an O's uni, for $20M+ per is pure insanity. Heck, when we signed Nick he was not injury-prone and the consensus was that he was continue getting better. At worst, I would have never thought it would be the proverbial albatross around the neck. Just think if we had Tex on board as well?

Also. Notice the mention of 100. It is significant.

It's not just for the math impaired.

That's what I took from it. He mentioned the 100M several times. Seems like that's the number, give or take a few M. But does anyone take seious issue with this statement,"We're returning a really good ballclub on the field, and our challenge will be to surround those core players with some good complimentary players, so we need to find a solution for left field and we need to find somebody to DH and we need to continue to build the pitching staff." I'd add to that a CL, but generally I agree with him. If everyone has a career average year, and Tillman and Gausman improve, I think we make the playoffs. That's just two IF's usually there are a lot more.

The problem I have with the $100 million dollar payroll is what would happen if Dan D decided it was best right now to blow the team up.

I look at the next wave of pitchers which hopefully includes

Bundy. That is still 3 or so years away but hopefully we will have a solid young core of pitching by then. If Dan thinks his hands are tied by a budget why not trade away your assets which would even include Jones with the hope of getting a young group of

young players to grow up together.

My problem with Angelo's is I don't think he would allow this.

Do I think it is the right way to go? I'm truthfully not sure but a

GM should have the authority to go this route and I just don't believe he does.

The problem I have with the $100 million dollar payroll is what would happen if Dan D decided it was best right now to blow the team up.

Bundy. That is still 3 or so years away but hopefully we will have a solid young core of pitching by then. If Dan thinks his hands are tied by a budget why not trade away your assets which would even include Jones with the hope of getting a young group of

This has been the problem for years and years..

This has been the problem for years and years..

I believe that if a true blow up were to be proposed, that the financial short term impact would be part of the discussion.

No' date=' I'm not saying it's fine for ownership to do it, but I'm trying to say that this is a reality, and another reality is you can win with a 100 million dollar budget. Tampa did it in the AL East (winning the wild card) and Oakland won the AL West. We may not be able to win the AL East Pennant, but we can win with that.[/quote']

I've been in this boat and RZNJ's for a while. I wish they would spend more, but I'm not going to cry poor when other teams succeed with budgets significantly lower than the O's. It is what it is and I'm not going to get myself worked up over it. They have enough money allocated to build a successful organization--if their scouting, drafting, and player development are all run well.

I've been in this boat and RZNJ's for a while. I wish they would spend more, but I'm not going to cry poor when other teams succeed with budgets significantly lower than the O's. It is what it is and I'm not going to get myself worked up over it. They have enough money allocated to build a successful organization--if their scouting, drafting, and player development are all run well.

Agree with this - $100M is enough to compete and win. Our payroll should be higher, but our GM has enough - I assume it was understood when he took the job.

St. Louis draws 1M more fans than the Os. That's probably another $30M in revenue between tickets, parking and concessions.

I believe our payroll could be in the $130M-$140M range if attendance were north of 3.5M fans and PA used an appropriate portion of the $25M on the team - and there would still be room to put $ into PA's pocket. Until that time, however, $100M is clearly enough to put a very good team on the field - though Nick's contract looks like it will be an impediment to competing in 2014 just like it was in 2013.

Agree with this - $100M is enough to compete and win. Our payroll should be higher, but our GM has enough - I assume it was understood when he took the job.

St. Louis draws 1M more fans than the Os. That's probably another $30M in revenue between tickets, parking and concessions.

I believe our payroll could be in the $130M-$140M range if attendance were north of 3.5M fans and PA used an appropriate portion of the $25M on the team - and there would still be room to put $ into PA's pocket. Until that time, however, $100M is clearly enough to put a very good team on the field - though Nick's contract looks like it will be an impediment to competing in 2014 just like it was in 2013.

Funny thing about getting more fans into the seats...

I believe that if a true blow up were to be proposed, that the financial short term impact would be part of the discussion.

I agree that it would impact revenue short term. However if the O's had a 50 million dollar payroll for a couple of years Angelo's would be making even more money. The issue though is he knows if they went this route he would be destroyed nationally and thatI believe bothers him. That is why he is very comfortable taking the approach he takes which is look like your trying but with the bottom line the most important part of the equation.

What that means for O's fans is the same old thing, we get an organization that can't make a bold move. This is a recipe for disaster in the AL east.

I agree that it would impact revenue short term. However if the O's had a 50 million dollar payroll for a couple of years Angelo's would be making even more money.

I am no longer certain. As a mid market, a bit of the whole Yankee conundrum might be in play.

So a McLouth/Pearce LF, Feldman SP, and a CL at 5M = 100M payroll and a .500 team and a Choo LF, a Garza SP, and a 5M CL = 120M payroll and a WS. Is it that much of a difference in production?

You seem to believe that you can improve an 81 win $100M payroll team by 7-10 wins at a cost of $20M.

Good luck with that.

Archived