Dan Duquette Translation. ($100 million payroll or just shiny marbles?)

weams

I thought I wanted to keep Jim Johnson.

Then I saw how many other relievers of similar skill were available in this year's market.

So I reconsidered.

Considering how volatile relievers are anyway.

And I got the best player I could while saving the most money to use on someone that we need more.

I kept the emotions out of it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"If you have 100 marbles and you have to give 10 to your closer, then you have 90 for the rest of your team, right? If you were to allocate five or six marbles to that position and you give 10, then you have to find four other marbles somewhere else that you will be taking away from one of your other players."

LOL! At this point, we're not even offering cash, just marbles (probably really really shiny marbles, but marbles none the less).

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2013/12/because-i-asked-duquette.html

I think obviously, marbles means millions of dollars. He is operating at 100 million dollar payroll. This is not his fault; this is the budget Angelos has for players. It think it is definitely workable. Only 14 teams operated over 100 million last year and 16 teams were below it. Of those teams under 100 million, five made the playoffs. We can do it, but there are going to be some tough cuts.

I thought I wanted to keep Jim Johnson.

Then I saw how many other relievers of similar skill were available in this year's market.

So I reconsidered.

Considering how volatile relievers are anyway.

And I got the best player I could while saving the most money to use on someone that we need more.

I kept the emotions out of it.

Duquette translation ...the owner is cheap and I was desperate for a job. But I really can't say any of that....so let's discuss marbles:thumbsup1:

Archived