Mark Turgeon

Gofannon

Skerry will be gone at Towson after this year. Someone is going to hire him for a major job. Guaranteed.

What are on basing this on, his current 7-6 record. Skerry isn't going anywhere after this season. You should probably wait until he wins something first before making a guarantee.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As soon as Williams retired, Gibbs wanted to be released from his offer. Although Turgeon did recruit Allen while he was at Texas A&M, I doubt Turgeon would have chased Gibbs off with the few scholarship players he had during his first year.

As soon as Williams retired, Gibbs wanted to be released from his offer. Although Turgeon did recruit Allen while he was at Texas A&M, I doubt Turgeon would have chased Gibbs off with the few scholarship players he had during his first year.

Turge went hard with Len and Faust ----less effort on Anderson and no effort on Gibbs because of his preference for Allen. Faust, Anderson and Gibbs asked for their release and it was up to Turge as to how hard he went after them. Gibbs actually floated for a while before committing.

Turge went hard with Len and Faust ----less effort on Anderson and no effort on Gibbs because of his preference for Allen. Faust, Anderson and Gibbs asked for their release and it was up to Turge as to how hard he went after them. Gibbs actually floated for a while before committing.

Are you going to throw Martin Breunig's name at us, too? He was another Gary recruit who left when Turgeon arrived. He scored 37 points in 2 years and is off to Montana.

Let's also remember that Gibbs is at his 3rd school, so Texas fanned on him as well.

Turgeon has enough problems right now - Sterling Gibbs isn't even on the list right now. Let's get him some offensive plays and substitution patterns first.

I'm pretty sure when folks were calling for Gary Williams' head, I made a comment to the effect of "be careful what you wish for." Yeah, it was probably time for Gary to step aside (and I thought he handled that well), but coaching at a big-time program ain't as easy as it looks.

I'm pretty sure when folks were calling for Gary Williams' head, I made a comment to the effect of "be careful what you wish for." Yeah, it was probably time for Gary to step aside (and I thought he handled that well), but coaching at a big-time program ain't as easy as it looks.

I totally agree with. As always when calling for somebody to move on, you have to stop and think the replacement might not be better.

Being a top level college coach has to be hard, given that a majority of your top is more recruiting than coaching. For a college as Md, with a bit higher standards academically than some others, that doesn't help.

But, its hard to compete with the name school like Duke, Ky, UCLA, and many others, those schools dont have to recruit, they just have to open the door.

Then, you thrown in the fact that its a state school, and not as big as budget as some of the other top NCAA level 1 schools.

I totally agree with. As always when calling for somebody to move on, you have to stop and think the replacement might not be better.

Being a top level college coach has to be hard, given that a majority of your top is more recruiting than coaching. For a college as Md, with a bit higher standards academically than some others, that doesn't help.

But, its hard to compete with the name school like Duke, Ky, UCLA, and many others, those schools dont have to recruit, they just have to open the door.

Then, you thrown in the fact that its a state school, and not as big as budget as some of the other top NCAA level 1 schools.

Maryland is a great job. He has plenty of assets to work with. His recruits haven't turned out to be as good as advertised. His best players make the same mistakes over and over again. I like Turgeon, but he is not getting it done. He better have a hell of an ACC season. Others can do better with the so called limits of our program.

Why does Shaq Cleare start still? Why does he even play? He cannot even catch the ball on the limited instances that he puts himself in position to rebound or catch a post pass.

I am not asking this team to compete with UCLA, Duke, or Kentucky, but we should be able to compete with Boston U. and other such powerhouses.

What makes people think Maryland can hire someone better than Turgeon? UMD hasn't made the tourney since 10' and for the first time since Wade was coaching in the 90's Turg has put a fence around the DMV area. Not to mention Turg has an 8 yr contract and a ridiculous buyout. I understand the frustration but the future of Terps basketball is still bright.

What makes people think Maryland can hire someone better than Turgeon? UMD hasn't made the tourney since 10' and for the first time since Wade was coaching in the 90's Turg has put a fence around the DMV area. Not to mention Turg has an 8 yr contract and a ridiculous buyout. I understand the frustration but the future of Terps basketball is still bright.

Do you have any evidence to back that up? So far the group that Turgeon has brought in has a low basketball IQ, he can't recruit a point guard (Allen is a 2 guard also), he hasn't developed anyone yet, and he refuses to admit his recruiting failure by putting Cleare back out there game after game. Cleare is so bad, so bad.

• 3 weeks later...

I know we say the future of the program is bright, but even when I see that we've got the #10 recruiting class coming in next year, 3 of our 4 players are guards. That leaves us with:

3 combo guards running point (Allen/Peters/Trimble)

2 freshmen shooting guards (Wiley, Nickens)

2 inconsistent, out-of-control wing players/emergency point guards (Wells/Faust)

2 "stretch 4s" that get killed on defense (Layman, Smotrycz)

3 below-the-rim bigger guys who are limited (Mitchell, Cleare, Graham)

2 taller athletic projects (Dodd, Reed)

I don't have the confidence that Turgeon would be able to manage 14 people well (or even 12 if a couple of players leave), and they're all redundant.

Archived