Mark Turgeon

Gofannon

If Turgeon wasn't on the hot seat before today's debacle against BU, he's surely on the hot seat now. This is a much worse loss than Oregon State--BU lost at home earlier this season to Norfolk State, Eastern Washington and Harvard, and had beaten exactly nobody prior to today. This is as bad as Gary's loss to AU.

I know the cupboard was bare when Turgeon got here, and the greatest coach in the world couldn't make Nick Faust a good basketball player, but he's had three years to find a point guard. He should have recruited a JUCO point guard for last year instead of trying to shoehorn Faust or Seth Allen into the role. He could have recruited a JUCO point guard this year but instead entrusted the position to a freshman. He's reaping the consequences.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sterling Gibbs says hello...........

If Turgeon wasn't on the hot seat before today's debacle against BU, he's surely on the hot seat now. This is a much worse loss than Oregon State--BU lost at home earlier this season to Norfolk State, Eastern Washington and Harvard, and had beaten exactly nobody prior to today. This is as bad as Gary's loss to AU.

I know the cupboard was bare when Turgeon got here, and the greatest coach in the world couldn't make Nick Faust a good basketball player, but he's had three years to find a point guard. He should have recruited a JUCO point guard for last year instead of trying to shoehorn Faust or Seth Allen into the role. He could have recruited a JUCO point guard this year but instead entrusted the position to a freshman. He's reaping the consequences.

I know losing Alex Len has been a jolt to this program but the Mark Turgeon apologists really sleigh me. This guy seems way over his head in the ACC. It's a shame we weren't all over Brad Stevens when he could have been had for the right price. Maryland should be a top 25 program every year. No excuses. I don't know who would be out there but we need somebody who can put it all together (recruiting/x and o) and return Terps to greatness again. Just my two cents..:mad:

I don't have a dog in this fight (I'm not a MD fan), but why in the world do you think Brad Stevens would have left Butler for Maryland. It took the most storied franchise in all of basketball to get him to leave, and even then he said he was very hesitant.

Maryland has a good program, but it's some very misplaced hubris to think that they could have just broke out the checkbook for Stevens.

I don't have a dog in this fight (I'm not a MD fan), but why in the world do you think Brad Stevens would have left Butler for Maryland. It took the most storied franchise in all of basketball to get him to leave, and even then he said he was very hesitant.

Maryland has a good program, but it's some very misplaced hubris to think that they could have just broke out the checkbook for Stevens.

To go along with this post, Stevens did turn down the job pretty quickly when offered.

http://dc.sbnation.com/maryland-terrapins/2011/5/8/2160342/maryland-basketball-brad-stevens-gary-williams-sean-miller

Pat Skerry anyone? He has done a masterful job turning around the Towson program and making them relevant. He was a top assistant to Dixon and when he left, Dixon's program took a hit. I think that he has to be the next guy...he will get a major job this year - I hope it is ours.

BTW, I am done with Turgeon. I don't think he could coach his way out of a paper bag. 17 turnovers? Seriously to a third level D1 program. His kids have never valued the ball - he can't develop players.

Pat Skerry anyone? He has done a masterful job turning around the Towson program and making them relevant. He was a top assistant to Dixon and when he left, Dixon's program took a hit. I think that he has to be the next guy...he will get a major job this year - I hope it is ours.

BTW, I am done with Turgeon. I don't think he could coach his way out of a paper bag. 17 turnovers? Seriously to a third level D1 program. His kids have never valued the ball - he can't develop players.

Skerry has done a great job turning around the Towson program. I think it's too soon for him to be considered for a major coaching position. IMO, he needs to maintain some success and make a few NCAA tournaments first.

I'm genuinely curious how this guy has won as many games as he has. I'm assuming he has just always recruited well and out-talented inferior competition at his previous stops.

This team is really just shockingly bad in terms of execution. Zero contribution from big men this year. No point guard. Can't shoot. Turnovers left and right. They come out sleepwalking almost every game.

Skerry has done a great job turning around the Towson program. I think it's too soon for him to be considered for a major coaching position. IMO, he needs to maintain some success and make a few NCAA tournaments first.

Skerry will be gone at Towson after this year. Someone is going to hire him for a major job. Guaranteed.

Archived