Yankee Brian Roberts. (Update: Signs for $2M+)

Greg

I wouldn't boo him. I doubt he turned down an Orioles major league deal... we have enough 2B options now to bring him back. At best we'd just give him a minor league deal, so I see no problem with him taking a major league deal elsewhere to challenge for a starting job.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A Roberts/Jeter middle infield would surely have the least range in baseball next year. Hope the Yankees plan to stock up on flyball pitchers.

I'm fine with Roberts moving on. I thank him for the years he was one of the few bright spots on miserable Orioles teams - but his days as a meaningful contributor are pastand I am glad the Orioles didn't resign him. Given that I project him to be more of a net negative than a positive for the Yankees - I'm fine with that being where he went.

Appreciate what he did in the past - but time to focus on the future.

Well put. The Yanks just got slower and older. I will miss Diana Roberts though.

01-diana4.jpg

:thumbsup1:

Does anyone really think the Yankees have any shot at a WS title this year? Or next year? They're an incredibly expensive 90 win team with almost zero chances of making a legit WS run.

A 90 win team in the AL East has a good shot at post season. Then it's a crapshoot to advance.

Yet another side benefit of this signing.

The OH should get together and send Cashman a fruit basket or something.

Also, how could this catch them by surprise when I read a piece last week saying that the Yankees and Roberts' agent were having discussions during the winter meetings?

Because by saying the were surprised they can foster the belief that they hadn't ruled out re-signing him completely.

So a published report of the Yankees and Roberts' camp having discussions isn't "on the verge"? Don't these folks remember Mussina? The Yanks don't dilly dally when it comes to making moves.

"Day Late and Dollar Short Dan Duquete" has a nice ring to it.

I'm sorry, I don't understand the bolded sentence at all. If the Orioles were to sign BRob, now that would be a possible indication of a team that did not want to improve. It seems to me that letting him go indicates just the opposite. It will be strange seeing him in a Yankee uniform, but neither the Orioles nor BRob did anything wrong here. The Orioles needed to move on and BRob naturally wants to continue earning money playing baseball.

Okay, I'll bite.....letting Roberts go is a "sign that the Orioles are trying to improve." What other instances can you point to during this off season? Trading away the closer and not signing one. Letting the LF go? Obtaining a couple AAA players? It seems that for some people on this site, the only good FA's are the ones the Orioles sign. All others are too expensive, too old, or too something. The ones they do sign are fantastic finds by DD that were under the radar.

Okay' date=' I'll bite.....letting Roberts go is a "sign that the Orioles are trying to improve." What other instances can you point to during this off season? Trading away the closer and not signing one. Letting the LF go? Obtaining a couple AAA players? It seems that for some people on this site, the only good FA's are the ones the Orioles sign. All others are too expensive, too old, or too something. The ones they do sign are fantastic finds by DD that were under the radar.[/quote']

Can you make a point without ripping other posters?

If you call that "ripping posters"' date=' then I guess it will be difficult. I asked for instances where the Orioles show examples of improving the team.[/quote']

I'm talking about this...

It seems that for some people on this site' date=' the only good FA's are the ones the Orioles sign. All others are too expensive, too old, or too something. The ones they do sign are fantastic finds by DD that were under the radar.[/quote']

You can discuss baseball without using a straw man argument to discredit anyone who disagrees with you.

Miller192 shared a story about BRob:

Alright, I'm telling a Brian Roberts story that I've wanted to tell for years.

I'm sure we all remembered the Cubs rumors with Roberts. Well, a close friend of mine was a Marquis Jet pilot based out of Martin Marrietta in Middle River. He flew primarily between Baltimore, the Carolinas and Atlanta.

It's December 2007 and he invites me to fly to Charlotte with him and hit the town up for a night and head back. I'm up for a guys night out so we do it. I meet him at Martin and he tells me that we are flying Brian Roberts home for Christmas.

That day, the rumors start flying about Roberts going to the Cubs for Sean Marshall and Rich Hill. As were taking off, I mentioned them to Roberts and he gives me the thumbs up and says, "Let's hope so!" He spent the next 40 minutes trying to get ahold of his agent and we were searching the web for info on my phone. We eventually had to turn off all of our devices.

He was so excited at the idea that he was leaving Baltimore. He didn't want to talk too much about the Orioles but he said mutliple times that this trade would be an awesome Christmas present.

Archived