Per Rosenthal: Balfour (FINALLY) to Orioles...

xian4

Because 2 of the Peter principals are your can't give a pitcher $10M plus and you can't give pitching contracts over 3 years. Makes it tough to get a legit FA starter under these rules making bullpen guys a nice target for any O's exec wanting to add pitching to the roster. Just look to the history of O's high price relievers for confirmation.

Not giving a pitcher over $10mil isn't his principal it just hasn't been done. You are correct about the years, though, and if you extend that to the BP it makes even less sense. The idea was that he didn't want to give out a lengthy contract to a player who was on the field once every fifth day. Does it make any more sense to pay a guy to pitch who works about a quarter or a third less than a starter does by innings?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Johnson should have been approached early 2012 about a potential extension and revisited post-2012 about the same. If nothing could have been worked out he should have been moved last off season when the return would have been greater and we weren't in the position of doing a flat out salary purge. Terrible and inexcusable planning on the part of the front office in handling this issue. Sadly, I suspect I'll be posting the same rant next year about Davis and Wieters.

How do you know that they didn't approach Johnson about a multi-year deal before, during or after 2012? Exactly what position do you hold in the O's front office or with Johnson's representation?

Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 11s

The #Dbacks and #Whitesox deal again: Closer Addison Reed goes to Sox for 3B Matt Davidson

Another team out of the closer market. Keep holding out Orioles.

How do you know that they didn't approach Johnson about a multi-year deal before, during or after 2012? Exactly what position do you hold in the O's front office or with Johnson's representation?

I don't know for a fact they didn't approach him, but, I'll let common sense, the club's track record, the lack of media substantiation on same, and the fact he wasn't dealt be my guide in expressing my opinions on this here message board. I'm not affiliated with the O's front office or Johnson's reps. Any other questions?

I don't know for a fact they didn't approach him, but, I'll let common sense, the club's track record, the lack of media substantiation on same, and the fact he wasn't dealt be my guide in expressing my opinions on this here message board. I'm not affiliated with the O's front office or Johnson's reps. Any other questions?

Of course there was nothing stopping Johnson's camp from approaching the O's if his desire was to sign long term after the 2012 season.

Pretty sure Hardy's camp approached the O's about his extension.

Of course there was nothing stopping Johnson's camp from approaching the O's if his desire was to sign long term after the 2012 season.

Pretty sure Hardy's camp approached the O's about his extension.

Of course not, but it's on the O's to be proactive in managing it's assets so as to avoid an 11th hour salary dump.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Multiple industry sources say <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a> haven't budged from 2-year offer to Balfour. Won't go to 3. He wants to sign with O's. Who blinks 1st</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">December 16, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Multiple industry sources say <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a> haven't budged from 2-year offer to Balfour. Won't go to 3. He wants to sign with O's. Who blinks 1st</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

Jen Royle is wrong again. Boy am I shocked. Shocked I tell you. :cool:

I can say for certainty that Angelos never blinks.

Archived