Orioles/WBAL Agree to Multi-Year Deal

Rene88

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I first found out about WBAL in the summer of 1976 with my brother Mark, when we were both fooling around with our AM radio. We were thrilled that after 7 P.M. (when most of the small/local radio stations went down), we could get Oriole games on our radio in Brewster, NY.

After the games, we used to listen to The Nitecaps with Herb Jepko. Great song.

http://www.nitecaps.net/Audio/The%20Official%20Nitecap%20Song.MP3

WBAL and the Orioles, stay together. :cool:

WBAL Radio also streams their feed over the internet.

This would be blocked for MLB games however....per the MLB agreement, stations can't do that. For example, if you go to WBAL online (Tune-in Radio, etc.) during game time, it will be something precorded, not the game.

I live in Connecticut. In southern CT, at night during the summer, you can on occasion pick up a Baltimore AM channel.

As to the thread...How much did they pay for the rights and can we sign a player for it? :rofl:

I think a great marketing gimmick would be to designate certain revenue streams toward free agent acquisitions. For instance, they could put all beer and peanut proceeds into a free agent kitty. One of those giant fundraising thermometers could keep track of things.

I know it used to be the case. I had an MP3 player, with FM and HD radio, I am pretty sure that 98 Rock just broadcasts WBAL on one of its HD channels.

I don't have an HD radio but they advertise it as 97.9 HD4 as WBAL 1090.

Does anyone know if there a delay for HD broadcasts?

This would be blocked for MLB games however....per the MLB agreement, stations can't do that. For example, if you go to WBAL online (Tune-in Radio, etc.) during game time, it will be something precorded, not the game.

Dang, sounds like what the NFL is doing, when I tried to get the game on my tablet when I was out of town.

I don't have an HD radio but they advertise it as 97.9 HD4 as WBAL 1090.

Does anyone know if there a delay for HD broadcasts?

The 3 second delay was for the producers to try and hit the censor button to keep curse words from going out over the airwaves.

Not sure if they enforce that for digital radio.

Dang, sounds like what the NFL is doing, when I tried to get the game on my tablet when I was out of town.

Yeah-they do that so you signup for their MLB package. It isn't a bad deal really, but on top of my $175 cable bill, forgggettuaboutit.

The AM signal travels much farther than FM, as mentioned above, but there are limits to the AM signal created by the actual way the signal is broadcast.

WBAL focuses its signal East, West and North. That is why I can pick up Orioles baseball on WBAL in Norfolk Virginia when I'm visiting my Sister way down South in the summertime, but I can't hear the game through the static as close as New Market just West of Baltimore.

I've read about this in the past, and if my memory serves me, it has something to do both with what WBAL believes to be the selling area for its advertisers, and with FCC licensing as far as broadcasting against competing signals for stations west of Baltimore.

Archived