162 game suspension for A-Rod

xian4

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's amazing the number of people who don't care what happens to baseball as long as the Yankees take it in the shorts.

I reject the thesis that purchasing the Biogenesis documents to preserve them as evidence is "trafficking in stolen property" or obstruction of justice. If Bosch wants to press charges against the individual who delivered them to MLB, he's welcome to try. Florida officials would probably laugh him out of the police station. Records of illegal activities don't have the same protection against theft as other records, largely because the records owners are reluctant to report the "theft". If Bosch didn't report the records as "stolen", there's no stolen goods to receive.

If the state of Florida has any interest in using the documents to prosecute Bosch or anyone else, I'm sure that MLB would be more than happy to turn them over to state law officers.

It's amazing the number of people who don't care what happens to baseball as long as the Yankees take it in the shorts.

I reject the thesis that purchasing the Biogenesis documents to preserve them as evidence is "trafficking in stolen property" or obstruction of justice. If Bosch wants to press charges against the individual who delivered them to MLB, he's welcome to try. Florida officials would probably laugh him out of the police station. Records of illegal activities don't have the same protection against theft as other records, largely because the records owners are reluctant to report the "theft". If Bosch didn't report the records as "stolen", there's no stolen goods to receive.

If the state of Florida has any interest in using the documents to prosecute Bosch or anyone else, I'm sure that MLB would be more than happy to turn them over to state law officers.

Especially since they'll always come back to the top in short order anyways. Steinbrenner's brief ban ended up being the first step in the building of their latest periods of dominance. They're the Damn Yankees, and will remain so for a long time. Life, death, taxes, and the Damn Yankees.

But yeah, by all means, trade some very short term discomfort for the Yankees organization for a huge d-bag to get away from breaking the rules knowingly. Not that I think they're the huge bane of competitive balance as others, but I'm really just sick of PEDs in general.

I've seen you say this before, but it's just not true.

I care much more about how MLB is carrying on in unethical manner durin this investigation than the Yankees taking on in the shorts.

You can reject the theisis all you want, but the article that CoC posted made it pretty clear that the State of Florida did not want MLB buying those documents. Moreover, I'll bet that if you or I tried to buy those documents the Feds would be on our doorstep. Further, Bosch is not going to complain about the documents. After all, he is being protected by MLB because he is a material witness against Rodriguez. LIke I said in another thread, the actions of all the parties involved make me want to take a shower.

I care much more about how MLB is carrying on in unethical manner durin this investigation than the Yankees taking on in the shorts.

You can reject the theisis all you want, but the article that CoC posted made it pretty clear that the State of Florida did not want MLB buying those documents. Moreover, I'll bet that if you or I tried to buy those documents the Feds would be on our doorstep. Further, Bosch is not going to complain about the documents. After all, he is being protected by MLB because he is a material witness against Rodriguez. LIke I said in another thread, the actions of all the parties involved make me want to take a shower.

Unless Bosch reported the documents stolen, they're not -- officially at least.

I don't believe that MLB impeded any Florida or federal criminal investigations. The alleged Florida complaint was supposedly an official in a regulatory department. With Biogenesis out of business, there's nothing to regulate.

MLB did nothing which I consider unethical in this investigation. Securing the documents is highly ethical in this case. Can't necessarily say the same about the source selling them, but that's a different issue.

Unless Bosch reported the documents stolen, they're not -- officially at least.

I don't believe that MLB impeded any Florida or federal criminal investigations. The alleged Florida complaint was supposedly an official in a regulatory department. With Biogenesis out of business, there's nothing to regulate.

MLB did nothing which I consider unethical in this investigation. Securing the documents is highly ethical in this case. Can't necessarily say the same about the source selling them, but that's a different issue.

Bosch is not going to report the documents being stolen. He's the star witness against ARod, and MLB is basically taking care of him.

I guess we won't know because the evidence is in MLB's grubby hands. Perhaps the regulator would have turned the documents over to county or state authorities to further investigate Bosch. Once again, we'll never know.

I disagree. It's unethical to buy something that "may" be stolen. especially if an a state official asks you not to buy them.

I have to disagee that anyone involved in this case ( MLB, Bosch, or Rodriguez) fits the description of the bolded.

If I was ARod's adviser, here is what I am telling him. "Alex, the issue is not about the money. You have more money than you can ever spend. It is about reputation and character and how you want to be remembered. So, here is what I suggest. Advise MLB that you are withdrawing any and all objections to the punishment provided. Acknowledge to the entire public that you abused performance enhancing drugs and that you lied to cover your mistakes. Then, announce that effective immediately, you are retiring from major league baseball provided that the NY Yankees donate the complete remainder of the 61 million dollars on your contract to a program designed for high school athletes and kids to learn about the dangers of performance enhancing drugs and to fund the ARod state of the art screening technologies center for those substances" He (and the Yankees) would be the toast of the sports world for the rest of his natural born days.

If I was ARod's adviser, here is what I am telling him. "Alex, the issue is not about the money. You have more money than you can ever spend. It is about reputation and character and how you want to be remembered. So, here is what I suggest. Advise MLB that you are withdrawing any and all objections to the punishment provided. Acknowledge to the entire public that you abused performance enhancing drugs and that you lied to cover your mistakes. Then, announce that effective immediately, you are retiring from major league baseball provided that the NY Yankees donate the complete remainder of the 61 million dollars on your contract to a program designed for high school athletes and kids to learn about the dangers of performance enhancing drugs and to fund the ARod state of the art screening technologies center for those substances" He (and the Yankees) would be the toast of the sports world for the rest of his natural born days.

If you retire you forfeit the rest of your salary.

If you retire you forfeit the rest of your salary.

Which is why it would require a new agreement between ARod and the Yankees for them to donate the dollars to fund the Institute and program. But the Yankees (who are going to have to pay it anyway) would clear the slot, gain tax advantages, and have significant PR value.

Which is why it would require a new agreement between ARod and the Yankees for them to donate the dollars to fund the Institute and program. But the Yankees (who are going to have to pay it anyway) would clear the slot, gain tax advantages, and have significant PR value.

You don't dream small do you?

You don't dream small do you?

Most high achieving, very public figures fall into a way too conservative approach to managing their own success. Presidents are the perfect example...they usually are far from bold, out of the box in their thinking and speaking. As they are busily protecting their success or image, they lose the nerve to go against the grain of common wisdom and expectations. And that is when they lose their ability to capture the imagination of people.

Archived