Orioles are around 79m right now. (Update: $83M)

Greg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think there is a decent chance that Ike Davis is traded during the spring. Not exactly a salary dump, obviously.

Anyway- with payroll around $83MM now, all it takes is one FA starter signing to put you back at 2013's OD salary, and then if they end up deciding to sign Balfour or Rodney, suddenly payroll is right around the range that everyone thought based on DD's comments.

Jim Johnson was a salary dump.

Jim Johnson was not a salary dump. He was speculated to make more in arbitration than any small market team should pay for a closer. The fact that Billy Beane decided to do something with him kept him from being non tendered. We simply kept him from the Yankees and Red Sox.

Jim Johnson was not a salary dump. He was speculated to make more in arbitration than any small market team should pay for a closer. The fact that Billy Beane decided to do something with him kept him from being non tendered. We simply kept him from the Yankees and Red Sox.

Is Oakland no longer a small market team, or are they just poorly run?

I consider the Johnson trade a salary dump.

Most teams when they salary dump, they dump more than one player.

Orioles dumped JJ, not so-much for his 6.5 million, but for what he was going to make, 10+.

Only Webb has been signed to a major league deal for the bullpen at 4.5 million for 2 years.

I see this as a salary dump.

Some might see this as smart fiscal baseball, if Webb pitches well, and they find a closer that closes out 85% of the games with a "S".

But, the off-season isn't officially over yet, so maybe something happens between now and then.

Most teams when they salary dump, they dump more than one player.

Orioles dumped JJ, not so-much for his 6.5 million, but for what he was going to make, 10+.

Only Webb has been signed to a major league deal for the bullpen at 4.5 million for 2 years.

I see this as a salary dump.

Some might see this as smart fiscal baseball, if Webb pitches well, and they find a closer that closes out 85% of the games with a "S".

But, the off-season isn't officially over yet, so maybe something happens between now and then.

Multiple salary dumps is one off season is call a fire sale.

When you trade one of the better closers in the game for a fringe second-basemen, its a salary dump. One that I agreed with, but still a salary dump.

When you trade one of the better closers in the game for a fringe second-basemen, its a salary dump. One that I agreed with, but still a salary dump.

Not sure what the cutoff for "better" is?

Of course it was a salary dump. No way paying 10 million for a prime regression candidate was a sound idea.

Archived